Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Eddy Current Suppression Ring...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.25.2008, 02:26 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
I've been getting into this band hardcore lately. I don't think there is a band out right now that rocks so hard with such a beautiful grasp on melody as this band. This rocks in that purely emotional way like the first three Wipers albums and the Dictators "Viva Dictators". Sleazy vocals, sort of a glam aesthetic going on too. "Primary Colours" might end up being my favorite record of the year.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i likes em
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2008, 10:21 PM   #3
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
woah thats cool to see a thread about them. Esp cos one of you is in the US and one is in the UK. I used to work with a girl who started dating the bassist not longer after or just before they formed. Everyone always knew they'd make it. She had a little bubbah about two years ago, and when she was preg I remember coming in to work telling her about how I dreamnt they were all on tour in spain and that its gonna be maddddd. I think this was during the first ep recording?

I havent seen the band perform in about 2 and a half years, but since then they've had some awesome support gigs; with radio birdman and devo. They used to rock out pretty hardcore live, and Im assuming they still do.
Old 10.19.2009, 09:51 AM   #4
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I thought that I'd like them more than I actually do.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, pretty one-dimensional and not in a good way.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2009, 06:43 PM   #6
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
If you haven't listened patiently or aged into your 30s very far, I'm not surprised by your ho hum sentiments. I've had to explain to more than few younger folks why they're so good. It just sorta resonates perfectly for people who've been around the block so many times and that've been stewing in their own juices forever, it seems. They also fit rather well into the story of Aussie punk dating back to X (check their Aspirations album) and Feedtime (first three albums totally rule!) and everything that came out on Aberrant Records. It's certainly more mature than any of that stuff, so certainly ECSR can be a lot less immediate.

If you wanna hear something new from Australia that's more immediate perhaps and that seems more like a page from an early chapter just sorta ripped outta that same Aussie punk/post-punk/whatever story, check out these...

Circle Pit
http://www.myspace.com/circlepit
Kitchen's Floor
http://www.myspace.com/kitchensfloor
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2009, 07:11 PM   #7
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
i'm really loving the tracks on the kitchen's floor myspace.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
The three Australian bands mentioned above are defintely three of the best. Eddy Currents first album is definitely one of my favourites of the 2000's. Some other Australian stuff....

Useless Children, great thrashy, rockin' punk with some darker moments and Wipers-y guitar bits. They've got a female drummer/vocalist whose an fkn' animal.

Royal Headache are the buzz around town in Sydney. In a city that's been plagued by bands that wanna give Nick Cave a blowjob and too cool for school neo-shoegaze/psych sunglasses at night BS their personable, everymans punk/power pop is really urgent and neccessary. Master for their first 7" should be off to the pressing plant next week!

The UV Race the most loveable rock band down under. Parts KBD, Dangerhouse LA punk and 60's garage stompers. Great simple so-dumb-they're-smart songs. No proper myspace, go to the S-S Records website, there's samples of their 7" on there (including their song about M*A*S*H). They're got a very entertaining blog... http://www.theuvrace.blogspot.com/

The Kitchen's Floor album "Loneliness Is A Dirty Mattress" is probably my favourite of this year. Maybe a bit baised as I do the label that put it out.... http://www.myspace.com/ripsocietyrecords . Also check out the Circle Pit tracks off their 1st 7" on their, a much more blown affair. They've got an album recorded that's yet to be released I think a lot of people will really dig.
Old 10.21.2009, 07:43 PM   #9
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
If you haven't listened patiently or aged into your 30s very far, I'm not surprised by your ho hum sentiments. I've had to explain to more than few younger folks why they're so good. It just sorta resonates perfectly for people who've been around the block so many times and that've been stewing in their own juices forever, it seems. They also fit rather well into the story of Aussie punk dating back to X (check their Aspirations album) and Feedtime (first three albums totally rule!) and everything that came out on Aberrant Records. It's certainly more mature than any of that stuff, so certainly ECSR can be a lot less immediate.

If you wanna hear something new from Australia that's more immediate perhaps and that seems more like a page from an early chapter just sorta ripped outta that same Aussie punk/post-punk/whatever story, check out these...

Circle Pit
http://www.myspace.com/circlepit
Kitchen's Floor
http://www.myspace.com/kitchensfloor
It's more a case that i got one of their 7''s and it simply didn't do much for me. Feedtime I really like, as well as Kitchens Floor. Since I haven't heard enough by them to really judge, I'll give them another go sometime in the future.
Old 10.22.2009, 07:06 PM   #10
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
Some of their 7"s go for $75 on ebay. Of the ECSR discography I'd recommend the 1st LP (recently reissued by Goner) and the Demons Demands 7" (repressed by Stained Circles and Iron Lung Records). Demons Demands is like this one riff lurching kraut rock inspired punk jam. It's a bit heavier than their other stuff, like the Saints covering the Fall (sort of, very sort of...).
Old 12.25.2009, 08:10 AM   #11
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

New ECSR track Anxiety up on their myspace. I reckon it's pretty great. New album out Feb/March.
Old 04.04.2010, 09:44 AM   #12
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Anyone heard the new album? Opinions? I think it's their best.
Old 04.04.2010, 02:39 PM   #13
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
The new record is leaps above Primary Colours. They've definitely grown as a band. Can't wait to see them live when they come to NYC.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2010, 04:07 PM   #14
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Changed my mind drastically when I got Primary Colours, which is an effing masterpiece.
Old 04.04.2010, 07:02 PM   #15
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, cool band.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth