Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.22.2010, 06:09 PM   #12021
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I'd go evil dead - 8/10
evil dead - 11/10
army of darkness - 5/10

Radiohead
Collectionanthropolopolisology
[ EMI Toshiba; 2004]
Rating: 10.0
Traveling through space at 293.37246 million billion miles per hour, traveling past star systems and glowing golden suns, comes Radiohead's latest offering. Discovering a new Radiohead release is like staring into the eyes of Jesus Christ and feeling the eternal stream of love and awe that flows from Him. I might be so bold as to claim that Radiohead is the Jesus Christ of music; the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost combined into one small package featuring the limitless talent of Thom Yorke.
So how do I review such an inherently perfect, flawless recording? It would be unfair of me to simply state, "this CD is perfection in the literal sense of the word," as that would not give such a masterpiece the sufficient praise it deserves. Putting this disc into your stereo and listening to it is like having the saints pee liquid gold into your ears. A beautiful, flowing, melodic wall of sound embraces you like the mother you never had because she was a filthy whore.
Track 1, "Ale A Gator," opens up with a lush field of melodic vibraphones and marimbas trumpeting the arrival of Thom York's genius. A glassy string section envelopes the sound field and reminds me of the time I was doing heroin in the middle of Canterbury Park. Finally Yorke's angelic voice sweeps in, crooning the following incomprehensibly intelligent lyrics:
Ale A Gator, the world is your at your feet
With a gaping mouth and jagged teeth
Your eyes remind me of capitalism (the telephone is ringing)
And your love is love like loving eyes, I will be there for you

Ale A Gator
Ale A Gator
Dragging through your personal hell
Ale A Gator
Ale A Gator
Encrusted jewels and a kissing kill across your gentle forehead

Time for sleep
Time for sleep
Time for sleep
Time for sleep
Gentle Ale A Gator

Such raw, unrelenting beauty caressed my soul like fingertips running across my spine. The power, the genius, the immeasurable talent which escapes from this porous CD can easily overwhelm you without proper preparation. Teams of NASA scientists could spend hundreds of years attempting to discover the meaning behind Thom's words, but nobody is intelligent enough to properly do so except Thom himself and his alter-ego, Jesus Christ. Perhaps some day they will both do a duet together and we can finally see who's truly the Son of God.
As for tracks 2-9, I was unable to listen to them as I was so blown away by Radiohead's sheer power that I beat my CD player into pieces with a rake so it would never be defiled by another, inferior compact disc. I shall review the rest of the album once my dad flies back from the Hamptons and buys me a new SUV to play it in.
- Brad Stevens, April 19th, 2004
atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2010, 06:47 PM   #12022
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
evil dead - 8/10
evil dead ii - 7/10
army of darkness - 6/10
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2010, 06:59 PM   #12023
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
evil dead - 8/10
evil dead ii - 7/10
army of darkness - 6/10

well... at least you got the order right. haha.
Old 08.22.2010, 07:00 PM   #12024
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

Radiohead
Collectionanthropolopolisology
[ EMI Toshiba; 2004]
Rating: 10.0
Traveling through space at 293.37246 million billion miles per hour, traveling past star systems and glowing golden suns, comes Radiohead's latest offering. Discovering a new Radiohead release is like staring into the eyes of Jesus Christ and feeling the eternal stream of love and awe that flows from Him. I might be so bold as to claim that Radiohead is the Jesus Christ of music; the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost combined into one small package featuring the limitless talent of Thom Yorke.
So how do I review such an inherently perfect, flawless recording? It would be unfair of me to simply state, "this CD is perfection in the literal sense of the word," as that would not give such a masterpiece the sufficient praise it deserves. Putting this disc into your stereo and listening to it is like having the saints pee liquid gold into your ears. A beautiful, flowing, melodic wall of sound embraces you like the mother you never had because she was a filthy whore.
Track 1, "Ale A Gator," opens up with a lush field of melodic vibraphones and marimbas trumpeting the arrival of Thom York's genius. A glassy string section envelopes the sound field and reminds me of the time I was doing heroin in the middle of Canterbury Park. Finally Yorke's angelic voice sweeps in, crooning the following incomprehensibly intelligent lyrics:
Ale A Gator, the world is your at your feet
With a gaping mouth and jagged teeth
Your eyes remind me of capitalism (the telephone is ringing)
And your love is love like loving eyes, I will be there for you

Ale A Gator
Ale A Gator
Dragging through your personal hell
Ale A Gator
Ale A Gator
Encrusted jewels and a kissing kill across your gentle forehead

Time for sleep
Time for sleep
Time for sleep
Time for sleep
Gentle Ale A Gator

Such raw, unrelenting beauty caressed my soul like fingertips running across my spine. The power, the genius, the immeasurable talent which escapes from this porous CD can easily overwhelm you without proper preparation. Teams of NASA scientists could spend hundreds of years attempting to discover the meaning behind Thom's words, but nobody is intelligent enough to properly do so except Thom himself and his alter-ego, Jesus Christ. Perhaps some day they will both do a duet together and we can finally see who's truly the Son of God.
As for tracks 2-9, I was unable to listen to them as I was so blown away by Radiohead's sheer power that I beat my CD player into pieces with a rake so it would never be defiled by another, inferior compact disc. I shall review the rest of the album once my dad flies back from the Hamptons and buys me a new SUV to play it in.
- Brad Stevens, April 19th, 2004

what are you talkin gabout?
Old 08.22.2010, 07:06 PM   #12025
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Radiohead.
Old 08.22.2010, 07:08 PM   #12026
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Radiohead.

i know, but what movie?? I've heard of Meeting People Is Easy, 7 TV Commercials, um their website DVD, Live At Astoria...?
Old 08.22.2010, 07:11 PM   #12027
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Anyway, Evil Dead 2 is by far the best, and definitely one of the best horror films of all time, it has all the best elements of part 1 and 3, though part 1 takes forever to get going. Part 2 has one of the best performances by any actor, ever; nearly the entire film is one person! All the brilliant stop motion stuff, all the neat effects, etc... just a perfect film. The first one is good but a bit clunky and rough around the edges. Army of Darkness/Medievel Dead is kinda lame, and boring. It just doesn't know what it wants to be. It feels kinda... off.

Anyway, watched...

Mutant Aliens - 9/10

hair high - 9/10

Idiots and Angels - 8/10

Okay, Bill Plympton is a fucking GENIUS. Everything I've seen by this man is jaw droppingly fucking brilliant. AMAZING.

Watched this old again with a friend..

body parts - 7/10

Feels like a simple Cronenberg parody or something. Very fun movie.
Old 08.22.2010, 07:15 PM   #12028
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
i know, but what movie?? I've heard of Meeting People Is Easy, 7 TV Commercials, um their website DVD, Live At Astoria...?

Did you read the review? It's a joke. It's from richdorkmedia.

...haha, Meeting People is Easy is the funniest movie ever made. I got stoned and laughed my ass off at that movie. Thom Yorke ,first of all, is the ugliest man alive. When he gets pissed off at the No Surprises video shoot (since he has to put his head underwater for a wopping 5 seconds at a time -- big fucking deal; fucking crybaby) and then about an hour into the film when they play a song I don't recognize.. has to be a Pablo Honey song or something.. and he starts shaking his head around and yelling indecipherable things and sounding like/looking like a gigantic baby.. It paints Radiohead (mainly Thom), in general, as big spoiled rich crybabies. "I'M NOT HERE. THIS ISN'T HAPPENING" on Thom's window.. haha.. Also, that part where the newscasters talk about Radiohead being "music to slit your wrists to". Is Radiohead depressing to people?! Er, well, wait, In Rainbows is depressing -- not only is it depressing in how absolutely LOUSY it is, it's also depressing to hear Yorke trying to be sexy and seductive on some of the songs. Ugh!
Old 08.22.2010, 07:16 PM   #12029
noisereductions
invito al cielo

adam, I half-agree with yr Evil Dead 1 & 2 assessment... except I don't find that Evil Dead 1 takes too long, I find it builds mood. I love that. It feels really (dare I say it?) creepy to me. I don't know, I just love it. But it's similar to what I love about Night Of The Demons, and a lot of you guys didn't get the same feeling from it, so I guess whatever.

2 is great, and I agree that it's almost an amazing one-man-show. But as great as it is, I still prefer straight-horror to comedic-horror. Though I will say that scene with the laughing lamps is un-fucking-believable.
Old 08.22.2010, 07:19 PM   #12030
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Watching this great movie before work..

I've seen this one quite a few times (not to be confused with another horror film released way later called Final Exam). What's weird is that they make it a point to keep the killer's identity hidden, having him lurk in the shadows and stuff -- almost like there's going to be some big shocking reveal at the end. And then, turns out, it's just some random killer. No motivation for his actions or anything. Just some dude killing people, and he gets killed, the end! Haha.

When I get off work tomorrow, me and the old lady are going to watch the rest of ALICE (since she fell asleep watching it the other day), The Killer (John Woo's 11/10 action masterpiece), and if I'm still awake, I might throw in THE DEMON, since I love that movie..

One time, Robe. played at a theater and Kyle edited all the best parts of the Demon into a 15 minute DVD and we played in front of it. Amazing film.
Old 08.22.2010, 07:23 PM   #12031
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Final Exam.. I know I saw it, but can't recall... hmm.
Old 08.22.2010, 07:25 PM   #12032
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

read this
http://www.somethingawful.com/fakesa/richdork/

all the fake Radiohead albums and shit, funny... radiohead (the tool remixes) haha..
Old 08.22.2010, 10:04 PM   #12033
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
I rank them:

Evil Dead II
Evil Dead
Army of Darkness

I've never really felt like the movie dragged at the beginning. But I screened the movie once for my high school creative writing class and I felt like they were getting bored because of that first half hour or whatever. But once the movie got going they really went for it. So I can see how people would fault the movie for that. I agree with NR, it's a mood builder. It's really 70's in that way, that they have alot of dead moments like that. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is that way too, or um Race With the Devil. I think the first Evil Dead has the best atmosphere.

Evil Dead II though I think is the best though because it just has so many ideas. The severed hand, the laughing deerhead, the corpse ballet, having a chainsaw for a hand, mutant tree, ash as a deadite, Prof. Knowlby or whatever his name is showing up as a ghost, just so much more going on in that movie. The makeup is the best in the first movie though.

Army of Darkness though eh, it's fine, it's funny and stuff, but I think at this point the series moved too far away from trying to be a horror movie and tried more to be funny. Evil Dead II though was the perfect balance of comedy and horror.

Amazing cast but uh, not much else. The music is rather ridiculous and offsetting of the mood, the ensemble isn't really handled very well. Ingrid Bergman only has one scene really. The solution is moronic, but whatever, great cast.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2010, 01:47 AM   #12034
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses

LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2010, 09:12 AM   #12035
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

It was sad.. 8/10
Old 08.23.2010, 09:36 AM   #12036
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
"Blood Tea and Red String," again.

Love it every time.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2010, 09:01 PM   #12037
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Re-watched ELEVATOR MOVIE

8/10

This is one of my favorite no-budget films of all time, a true relevation! Inspiring and ... well, just read my review...
This film is amazing! I see everyone talking about Tetsuo and Eraserhead, but I see more Bunuel (specifically L'Age D'Or) and Fotopolous (Migrating Forms is very similar to this). Not that it matters... this film is truly original, not even in its concept, but more so in how it handles the subject matter. Two people in a room for 90 minutes, talking about their lives -- does that sound interesting to you? Well, it doesn't to me, to be honest, but to actually see this in execution will make you a believer.

It helps that the cast is excellent, all two of them. There is a real chemistry here, and both characters are actually charming, though flawed, and very real -- very human. Both posses a rather dry sense of humor, but I found them both quite hilarious. When one character passionately and sincerely talks about her uncle finding Jesus in his f-f-feces, the other character exclaims "Holy sh*t!" Priceless! It had me rolling.

The film is loaded with "mistakes", but these "errors" don't detract from the viewing experience; in fact, they add to the atmosphere quite a bit and make what could have been an entertaining-enough character-study, into a truly surreal, original, brilliant little film. Sometimes, the audio doesn't match the lips that are moving, sometimes scenes abruptly cut off, there is a constant flicker and "bad" lighting and "bad" framing. But I think this film is highly artistic, and it adds to the atmosphere quite a bit and makes this film highly recommendable. People who complain about its "badness" aren't schooled enough in film to realize that the editing is actually quite brilliant, the pacing is flawless, the writing is pitch-perfect - everything is clearly intentional, even the "mistakes", as randomness has a certain place too. Why would you want to watch something completely clean and complacent? This film wears its non-budget proudly... why else would the title sequence be done in paper and permanent marker (with awful handwriting)? I love this sloppy approach, it really puts this film over the top to me.

What this director does with 2 characters in one room for 90 minutes is more entertaining and thought-provoking than what your average "experimental" Tarkovsky wannabe can do with tons of characters, years of filming, and lots of "perfect" editing.

The best thing about this film really is the pacing. The director/writer doesn't forget that he is telling a story here, and so he adds little surreal touches to keep the film moving along at a good pace. He doesn't offer all his secrets up front; this film really builds, and when it gets there, it's wonderful. You'll cream the first time you hear music, after so long of there being only background hiss.

Fascinatingly gritty, strangely touching, absurdly brilliant, and somehow wonderfully realistic in its depiction of humanity, suffering, religion, and interactions between people. This is a BRILLIANT debut and one of the most exciting underground films I've ever seen... if you're a boring person, you'll be bored by this. But if you're an enlightened person, this will be your new favorite film.
Old 08.23.2010, 09:04 PM   #12038
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

HEY, derek and eugene felikson, it's freeleech week at cinemaggon.net ... you guys should download PASTORAL: TO DIE IN THE COUNTRY ... http://cinemageddon.net/details.php?id=20105

this is an 11/10 film; just absolutely amazing. If you want your mind to be BLOWN, then yeah.

Here is my review:
THE GREATEST FILM EVER?!

...Not sure if it's the absolute greatest, but if not, it's really, really, REALLY close to being.

Words can't describe this thing. This thing, which is pretty much "unavailable" unless you go through backdoor means, is so beautiful, so flawless, that after one viewing it immediately went up to my top 10 of all time. Never has a film blown me away so much, so quickly. Within 20 minutes, of the strange oversaturated colors, the rows of clocks, the insanely beautiful soundtrack, etc... I was just in total awe.

I literally cannot describe this film. Think "The Holy Mountain" (a lot of similar direction), a bit simplified yet more experimental (if that makes sense) -- extremely personal, kinda like the films Godard always tried to make after 1980 (a film that comments on film, a film which cannot actually be made). A director directs his childhood and then turns the film off, shockingly, and then VISITS his childhood and modifies events, tries to change things.

It's touching, personal, and the ending is actually definitely the best of all time. OVERWHELMING AND INSANE. A masterpiece!

OH HEY! They put up an upgrade of Night Train to Terror -- my favorite horror movie of all time (next to Maniac)!

Genuinely disturbing imagery... stop motion/claymation... jarring cuts... this film is pieced together from three 2 hour movies, chopped to fucking hell to be an 84 minute movie! Some of the most INSANE editing ever, the film makes no sense, it's PERFECT.
Old 08.23.2010, 09:25 PM   #12039
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
thnx4t3hh3dz^
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2010, 10:27 PM   #12040
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
I cant find any download links for Night Train to Terror or The Demon.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
502552592599600601 602 6036046056126527021102 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth