Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page two basses?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.20.2006, 01:41 PM   #1
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
did i miss something? that has to be humiliating for kim...
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 01:52 PM   #2
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
actually i'd beg to differ...
i'd possibly look at it the other way, for it to be more humiliating for Mark Ibold. when i see some of these recent pics of them playing i can't help but notice that its looks apparently obvious that Kim is showing Mark the bass parts, and this is in a live setting... but who cares if it sounds good, besides he's only been in tour with them for a very short period of time.

Kinda interesting to me to have two basses, a change for SY to have alot of low end existing where as at times in the past they have seemed to struggle soundwise in that department (when Kim played primarily guitar during the Washing Machine and ATL years).

Kim doesn't seem very interested in playing alot of bass, that has been the case for over 10 years now.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 03:34 PM   #3
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
Would I be wrong to say that Kim's bass playing isn't all that interesting at all. I mean compared to the guitar part, its too dry and uninventive : how many times have I heard her play two notes in a song or rehash the same rythmic pattern and... that's it ? I mean listen to O'Rourke and her, the difference in style is unbelievable.
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 04:11 PM   #4
Mote
empty page

Mote has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunberg
Would I be wrong to say that Kim's bass playing isn't all that interesting at all. I mean compared to the guitar part, its too dry and uninventive : how many times have I heard her play two notes in a song or rehash the same rythmic pattern and... that's it ? I mean listen to O'Rourke and her, the difference in style is unbelievable.

yeah, Jim O'Rourke's bass playing seemed much more rhythmic. I mean listen to 'Patter Recognition' and other songs he's played bass on. He's seriously a brilliant musician.

After seeing them live with 2 basses I thought it sounded excellent...you figure that Kim could have played guitar on alot of those songs if she really wanted to and let Mark handle all the low end.
Mote is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 07:13 PM   #5
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
this might be the only thing i'm not getting of the current line up.
Old 06.20.2006, 07:45 PM   #6
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
Mark Ibold is a god among men. I mean, listen to "Half a Canyon" by Pavement with that triumphent half fuzzy bass driving the song. I hope at this point of the tour hes just learning the songs because 2 bass's = useless.
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 11:45 PM   #7
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
Quote:

I think she has some interesting bass lines. The bass in songs like I Love Here All the Time just keep the song going, and the bassline in Im Insane is just downright groovy. She eventually did settle for following the guitar however in the 90's...
Old 06.21.2006, 12:31 AM   #8
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
I think she has some interesting bass lines. The bass in songs like I Love Here All the Time just keep the song going, and the bassline in Im Insane is just downright groovy. She eventually did settle for following the guitar however in the 90's...

She's not super technical, but I feel she has her own distinct style, one crafted in a very DIY punk rock kind of way. Early to Mid Sonic Youth would sound like mush w/out her, and I think if anyone else had been playing at that time Sonic Youth's sound wouldn't have been as distinct. She always kept things grounded in a good thumping way, and her bass playing was as easily recognizable as Thurston and Lee's guitar, and as pivotal to the overall sound.

Plus, Mike Watt gives her props, so I aint about to argue with that man.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 12:35 AM   #9
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I completely agree. Kim's not much of a musician. She adds a lot to the group, but mostly through lyrical content. She can't play that well. But then again, her role isn't supposed to be focused on as a musician so much as a fromidable lyricist.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 12:38 AM   #10
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I think Jim O'Rourke is a much more talented musician than Kim. It dissapointed me to hear that he left the band. I thought he really revitalized Sonic Youth and lead them into a very interesting new direction. Without him in the group, SY has kinda slipped. You can really hear the difference between Murray Street/Sonic Nurse and Rather Ripped. The fromer have stronger musical structures whereas Rather Ripped sounds a little underdeveloped and weak.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 12:49 AM   #11
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
I think Jim O'Rourke is a much more talented musician than Kim.

given
Old 06.21.2006, 03:23 AM   #12
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Another retarted thread brought to you by (can't be arsed to even spell your yousername).

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 03:34 AM   #13
connie kreski
little trouble girl

connie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant future
- maybe mark ibold didn't had the time to practice the basslines...
- maybe the reason threre's 2 bass players is that he's learning his stuff
for later shows...

- anyway, he's a very good bass player and i like to think that kim and him
will remember how good was freekitten...

connie kreski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 06:33 AM   #14
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
the bass line for helen lundberg is rather sexy...
and wtf is this about jim being more talented than kim? technically, eddie van halen is a more talented guitarist than thurston... lets draft him in next!
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 06:47 AM   #15
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah people tend to mistake dexterity for talent... I couldn't give a flying fuck if someone can play well, unless talent is also present then it's just masturbation as far as I'm concerned.

Show me a good and original idea then I'll be impressed.

...Actually there's nothing wrong with masturbation.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 08:22 AM   #16
pao-lino
bad moon rising

pao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's assespao-lino kicks all y'all's asses
In a interview posted in this forum, when asked why she plays bass less and less live, kim answered honestly, kudos for that, that singing and playing bass is difficult and limitative
plus after 25 yrs rocking the bass with picks, she got a chronic arthritis, and that's painful.
before reading that, I thought the heritage of kim's bass to someone else was something like a kim's caprice to let her dance more. Now, you can see it's different.
I guess for mark ibold is a """""""teenage wish come true""""""", I saw some CBGB's and he was having a lot of fun!
pao-lino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 10:55 AM   #17
cloudermilk
empty page

cloudermilk has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:

I think some of you are right - Mark's learning the bass lines. I found this Flickr set from the CBGB gig:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5873485...7594165358936/
cloudermilk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 10:59 AM   #18
connie kreski
little trouble girl

connie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudermilk
I think some of you are right - Mark's learning the bass lines. I found this Flickr set from the CBGB gig:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5873485...7594165358936/
thanks
he still has this nice grin on this face...

connie kreski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 11:01 AM   #19
doctor dan
bad moon rising

doctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's asses
wow, two basses is quite a departure for the youth...what song is it on?

as for kim's bass playing- if anyone has any doubts as to the quality of her basswork then just listen to the bassline in theresa's sound world. its fucking immense. her bass parts tie the entire sound of the band together.
Old 06.21.2006, 12:18 PM   #20
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
I've always wondered what it would be like if instead of a band having 2 guitars and a bass, they had 2 basses and the guitar was for rythm
LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth