Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page A Thousand Leaves is Kim's Absolute Finest Hour.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.10.2009, 05:05 AM   #21
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer
I'm not the one who brought up Incubus in the first place, you two childishly did, so hey, I'm just defending a perfectly decent band.

Old 05.10.2009, 08:02 AM   #22
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
i think sonic youth probally realized this before daydream nation, i just dont think they had any serious desire at that time to approach music in that sort of way.

i agree with ya, on some level. i also agree though that there is plenty of music/sound out there that is AMAZING that totally lacks in "pop hooks". merzbow, early black dice, DNA, prurient, some butthole surfers, most ghoul detail...some people just enjoy the weird/experimental side of things. some people enjoy abrasive sounds that grab them by the throat and throw them to the floor. some people like drones they can get lost/meditate in....

of course, if ya want to sale large quantities of music, you should prolly consider having something, like you said, people can bob their heads to.

just...everyone doesnt want to do that. i think sonic youth still realize this, too. consider silver sessions....

i do believe the future of music is going to be what many folks today would consider "noise". i do believe prurient is an evolutionary stepping stone as far as "metal" is concerned.

i could be wrong...but i dont think i am.

I love you.

And am I the only person on Earth who thinks Contre Le Sexisme (sp?) is a fantastic song?
Old 05.10.2009, 08:24 AM   #23
ScreamingSchool
little trouble girl

ScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's assesScreamingSchool kicks all y'all's asses
A Thousand Leaves actually turned me off to Sonic Youth and that's when I stopped buying every new album they came out with. I do realize that I was probably "expecting" something out of ATL and did remain a fan but my Sonic Youth Rabies had certainly worn off after hearing it. After reading some of the posts here though, I may just give it another listen. As far as Experimental Jet Set is concerned, I actually love that album. There is so much awesome going on with that album. I remember being puzzled by how different it was when it came out, but all those songs kind of instantly grow on you.

I do happen to be one of those heretics who could do without a large majority of Kim's vocal contribution. She had a FEW good song outings, but on the whole I agree with a previous poster; bad singing is bad singing no matter how thin you slice it.

Incubus is kind of cool. They're good for a drive on the freeway. They're a "radio band" but better than a lot of the other "radio bands" out there.
ScreamingSchool is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 08:26 AM   #24
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Vocal-wise I still think Dirty is Kim's finest hour. However, all the love shown here for The Ineffable Me is very deserved.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 01:57 PM   #25
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
I love you.

And am I the only person on Earth who thinks Contre Le Sexisme (sp?) is a fantastic song?

No you are most certainly not the only person...

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 02:41 PM   #26
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I love you.

Nope, that's an amazing song. Fantastic chill out track

I love the way she says "Contre de la sexisme" - it's totally wrong, yet it sounds so cool
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 02:47 PM   #27
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
Nope, that's an amazing song. Fantastic chill out track

I love the way she says "Contre de la sexisme" - it's totally wrong, yet it sounds so cool

It scared the shit out of me when I first heard it. Play that for the kiddies at Halloween. The backing reminds me of guys in a dungeon.
Old 05.10.2009, 02:52 PM   #28
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It scared the shit out of me when I first heard it. Play that for the kiddies at Halloween. The backing reminds me of guys in a dungeon.
Or you could play "Death Valley '69" for that matter. Though the little kiddies could turn into psychokillers with that
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 02:58 PM   #29
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
(About 73mins actually.)

You know it's true. She is Monufuckingmental on all (6?...it's been a while) of "her" songs on this record. If you took her Thousand Leaves songs and put them into an EP, it would be the Greatest Kim Gordon EP Ever Imagineable.

IDK if Thurston wrote some of those songs that she sings on A Thousand Leaves, but even if he did, Kim's "performance" of them makes them hers. Absolute fucking brilliant peak of Kimness. I shudder just thinking about it.

Discuss.

One of the reasons why it's my favourite S.Y album.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 04:18 PM   #30
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
The Ineffable Me is my favourite Kim track on the album.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 05:00 PM   #31
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
For me, the stand out tracks of this album are Wildflower Soul, Hoarfrost, Karen Koltrane, and Snare, Girl. Then I'd say comes Contre Le Sexisme. Kim delivers a punch with this track. As for the others, I wouldn't say they are Kim's finest. I do love the endings of Female Mechanic Now On Duty and Heather Angel as well as the middle of The Ineffable Me. However vocally, the rest sounds a little endless... I'm not sure this is the word I'm looking for, but anyway Kim has certainly had greater moments.

As for a girl sounding "ugly," I get that, but it took me a long time to enjoy The Ineffable Me. I guess it's more the pitch of the guitars rather than the vocals themselves though.

I can't choose a particular album where I'd say it's Kim's finest. I think she delivers every album.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 05:14 PM   #32
Skuj
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel
For me, the stand out tracks of this album are Wildflower Soul, Hoarfrost, Karen Koltrane, and Snare, Girl. Then I'd say comes Contre Le Sexisme. Kim delivers a punch with this track. As for the others, I wouldn't say they are Kim's finest. I do love the endings of Female Mechanic Now On Duty and Heather Angel as well as the middle of The Ineffable Me. However vocally, the rest sounds a little endless... I'm not sure this is the word I'm looking for, but anyway Kim has certainly had greater moments.

As for a girl sounding "ugly," I get that, but it took me a long time to enjoy The Ineffable Me. I guess it's more the pitch of the guitars rather than the vocals themselves though.

I can't choose a particular album where I'd say it's Kim's finest. I think she delivers every album.

I think certain albums have been Thurston dominated, or Kim took a back seat......like NYCGF and Murray St.
Old 05.10.2009, 05:30 PM   #33
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I agree with the premise of the thread. I'm least into Thurston's songs on the album (and I'm a pretty huge T fan) as he was just too into his "hippie" phase, while she seems post-punk/no-wave/avant garde as hell. Her stuff is the most experimental on the record and yet it rocks the most too.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 05:33 PM   #34
Skuj
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I agree with the premise of the thread. I'm least into Thurston's songs on the album (and I'm a pretty huge T fan) as he was just too into his "hippie" phase, while she seems post-punk/no-wave/avant garde as hell. Her stuff is the most experimental on the record and yet it rocks the most too.

Yeah, I really love ATL, but I always thought that Thurston was a bit "Dad Rock" on it. Sunday never did it for me, lyrically. Coming after Contre, it was like When I'm 64 coming after Within You Without You. Eeeeew.
Old 05.10.2009, 07:44 PM   #35
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
I've always wondered, for the songs they sing, do they write those songs exlclusively, or just sing them? Is it a band effort 100%

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 08:13 PM   #36
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
I am surprised so much talk about Kim vocally during the EJSTNS - 1,000 leaves period, and no mention of her switching to guitar around this time yet.

I really think that had a huge overlooked impact to her the overall contribution to the SY sound structure. She often has a tendency to sing "along" with what she is playing. While it usually worked for her on bass, I don't think it worked so well during these times when she was playing her simple guitar "riffs" and simply learning the vocals on top. (first half of Female Mechanic for example). While I love her guitar playing on most of the albums the songs were written often before vocals put to them, and hearing her "sing" on top of her newly treble-filled sound and simplified "I'm relearning my role on a different instrument" style...just never did it for me...

I really do think her picking up the guitar and the general process of their "songwriting" added for some off-moments around the period...but for me personally, it all did seem to click and kinda come full circle again around Sonic Nurse.

Just my 2 cents...
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 08:21 PM   #37
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer
I've always wondered, for the songs they sing, do they write those songs exlclusively, or just sing them? Is it a band effort 100%

When I saw SY in 1986, Thurston sang "Star Power". Made me think maybe he wrote it, since it has those "She knows how to make love to me" lyrics.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 09:18 PM   #38
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
When I saw SY in 1986, Thurston sang "Star Power". Made me think maybe he wrote it, since it has those "She knows how to make love to me" lyrics.

Yes, Thurston did write the lyrics. And I read that Kim doesn't sing the song live, only Thurston does. I'm not sure why though.
Old 05.11.2009, 02:40 PM   #39
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
nope. count me in too.
in fact, count me in for anything fabulous said about this album.
sonic beauty and intelligence at its finests.
kim is incredible.
heather angel. divine.

Yep
Old 05.11.2009, 07:40 PM   #40
duderanchnurse
bad moon rising

duderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Sorry, I forgot that Incubus clearly are better than anything Sonic Youth have done.

[quote=ZEROpumpkins]True fans wait for cd.

duderanchnurse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth