Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston favorite acoustic guitarists
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.16.2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Hear Thurston Moore on His Favorite Guitarists

WXPN, November 16, 2007 - A member of Sonic Youth, which has been challenging and inspiring audiences for more than a quarter-century, guitarist Thurston Moore has always tirelessly championed his musical loves. Whether he's writing liner notes for obscure free-jazz reissues, championing young avant-garde musicians or even unabashedly worshipping pop-culture icons like Madonna, Moore has always had an ear for challenging and era-defining sounds.
Recognizing the acoustic nature of Moore's recent solo album, Trees Outside the Academy, World Cafe host David Dye asked him to share some of his favorite acoustic guitarists.

John Fahey

'Sunflower River Blues' "He's so significant, such an amazing personality, such a character, and you really heard it in his approach to his music. He was taking this traditional form of blues and folk and putting an intellectual spin on it without being an egghead. He was kind of academic, but... almost as much a freak as some of these old blues guys."
From The Best of John Fahey 1959-1977.

Anne Briggs

'Blackwaterside' "She was a folk singer from the U.K. who was involved with Bert Jansch and his whole gang there in the '60s, playing at folk festivals and busking on streets. They took the English traditional form of folk music and gave it a young, contemporary edge. I started finding out a lot about British folk music firstly through Fairport Convention and Pentangle and all its associated players. There's a fantastic history, the deeper and deeper you get.
"She is one of the singers that transcended the traditional songs just by her voice. I know this is about acoustic guitar, but it was that marriage between her playing and her voice that was just astounding."
Originally appeared on Anne Briggs (1971).

Bert Jansch

'Jack Orion' "I've never met the man, but reading stories about him, he seems like he's really that hard-playing acoustic-guitar guy, and he doesn't take any BS from anybody. He sounds like a swell dude."
From Jack Orion (1966).
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Derek Bailey

'Laura' "We're gonna go to the outer realms here. Derek Bailey, who people know primarily as an electric guitar player with a jazz guitar and volume pedal, playing completely improvised music. His whole idea was, 'Why wouldn't people not only want to play this way or would want to listen to this music?' It's way more referential to the human condition. He had a real humor about what he did, as well. He was a serious practitioner, but he liked to have a pint and a laugh."
From Ballads (2002).

Jack Rose

'Calais to Dover' "There are a lot of contemporary people really devoted to playing acoustic guitar in a really forward-thinking and challenging way without completely divorcing itself from tradition. One of the most magnificent players in the last few years is certainly Jack Rose, whom I've known for many, many years. He's always been around the Philadelphia underground music scene playing avant-garde and noise music. He was somebody that really got turned on to the whole lineage of acoustic guitar playing, really put his head down and became a really great acoustic guitar player."
From Kensington Blues (2005).
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 03:38 PM   #3
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I'm surprised that I was able to get into Fahey before the classic Moore name drop. Great music, The Yellow Princess is an great album.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 08:47 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Kazuki Tomokawa.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2007, 04:14 PM   #6
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston should post in the Folk thread

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15119
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2007, 04:33 PM   #7
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
jack rose fucking rules!!!

Yeah i find this very cool too. Thanks thurston

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2007, 04:34 PM   #8
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
am i the only one that finds a kind of celtic vocal delivery very annoying?

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2007, 09:09 AM   #9
Viking Time
empty page

Viking Time ain't too shabby
by the way, this story originally appeared here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=16332433

(i should know, i transcribed the interview, wrote the intro, and put it there)
Viking Time is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2007, 05:33 AM   #10
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips
do any of the band ever post on here? if they do, whats their account names? sorry its unrelated, but i'm curious

Lee (a few messages) and Steve (more frequently) do I think. If I remember well it's under the screen names leeisfree and s.shelley. They haven't posted in a good while though.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2007, 06:05 AM   #11
SugarMountain
little trouble girl

SugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's assesSugarMountain kicks all y'all's asses
Bert Jansch is THE man
SugarMountain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2007, 07:50 PM   #12
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
fucking wank.

anyone who disses Bailey and specifically this album is quite retarded and should have their ears cutoff.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth