Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page post comething completely irrelevant!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.02.2018, 08:57 PM   #40561
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
You’re not wrong. I have literally bled in service to this job on multiple occasions. I have received two pinner raises and two pinner promotions over the last 3 years, and I’ve never complained. I know I can’t rely on loyalty. It’s a corporation after all. But they will be FUCKED without me. Been a lot of layoffs and firings and so on this year, and I’m the only staffer who edits, writes copy for any and all beats, manages freelancers, puts together publications from noting, and knows the ins and outs of our system. They will be in bad shape without me.

I’m hoping they hit me with a sweet counter-offer. Otherwise... I’m afraid I’m out.

Good luck man. Gotta make dat dough.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2018, 10:43 PM   #40562
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Really afraid to find a junked engine....and I feel like for 5k, I’d rather just look for another car. Especially since I’m trying to save for a place of my own.
5k? in what planet are we talking?

you gotta find yourself a mexican mechanic who knows his junkyards

i put a 60k engine into a 200k truck for a little over $2k

i had just upgraded tires and front end and wasn’t gonna throw out the old beast

same guy was offering me a bmw for $2.5K. had 200k miles in odometer but engine was about 100K. took it for a test drive—sweet sweet sweet i4 (i drive a v8).

btw you should read jalopnik. fun shit:

http://jalopnik.com

eta: this is my favorite column there: https://jalopnik.com/c/what-car-should-you-buy
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2018, 11:39 PM   #40563
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
5k(after labor)....still not wanting to do that. My girlfriend and I don't work far from each other and it's really not out of the way either. So we're carpooling at the moment. THat's an incredibly useful and hilarious article.
Old 02.03.2018, 12:16 AM   #40564
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
oh no no, my vortec engine was $1400, the rest was labor.

$5k is too fucking much. i mean for $5k i could have gotten a crate engine with a 3-year / 100k mile warranty (check out jasper engines) installed by a certified jasper mechanic that honors the warranty. but i went cheap w/ the used engine and 1-month warranty lol. i just needed the truck for a year into the future so that’s what i did. [eta; check this: https://www.jasperengines.com/crate-engines ]

you gotta dig a little deeper into the network, im not shittin ya. forget dealerships and that whole assortment of punks (nothing punk about them). save your money and go with the independents (also german cars will cost you more).

go where the inmigrantes get their cars fixed— it’s a whole universe out there. some real wizards. i found the frugal car yoda around my parts.

BUT yeah to carpooling and walking and bicycle. it’s better to drive less, no doubt. cars will kill us all in the end. look at poor louisiana choking in toxic fumes and drowning in poison.

since i moved my truck went from being a daily commuter to a weekend ride. slowly restoring it as an off-road/recreational thing. but i gotta fix up las bicicletas next because MOAR FUN TO PEDAL.

ETA: german cars are $$$ and a pain to fix
(but what fun to drive ha ha)
Old 02.03.2018, 12:28 PM   #40565
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Yeah. That car was definitely fun. PowerfulAWD....man I was really able to get around cars here. And seeing that E30 on that article almost made me start looking for one.
Old 02.06.2018, 11:06 AM   #40566
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
So about that job...
My employer made a counter-offer in the eleventh hour. It’s less money than the job I was offered, but I wouldn’t have to change everything about my life. I made a snap decision and that’s that for now. I’m shaky AF because I just came from a meeting with my would-be boss where I said thanks for the consideration. Luckily we had a respectable chat and that was that.

I’m good at my job. Really don’t want to change careers for the first thing that offers more money and might suck. They also had a shitty media setup so a publicist would be operating with a severe handicap, and at great personal expense.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2018, 06:59 PM   #40567
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Well shit man. As long as your happy. Glad you’re makin’ more dough.
Old 02.06.2018, 09:11 PM   #40568
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I don't get a "happy" vibe from Sev's post, but I'm glad the storm has passed anyway. (And maybe I'm mis-reading.)
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2018, 11:41 AM   #40569
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I don't get a "happy" vibe from Sev's post, but I'm glad the storm has passed anyway. (And maybe I'm mis-reading.)

I’m definitely glad that I will be remaining in my profession, and not straying into something vastly different for not a large enough payoff to warrant the risk, but you’re right... “happy” is not what I’m feeling. Honestly, it was an EXTREMELY stressful ordeal. I was prepared to leave the job that has become a part of who I am, and then I decided not to at the exact last moment, and had to speak to the folks who would have hired me and politely decline. I did not sleep a wink the night before last, and last night I was up late working.

So yeah. Not exactly happy, but I am relieved and I never actually wanted to leave my job in the first place.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2018, 12:30 PM   #40570
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
I've been listening to a load of MDC at the moment and decided to take a look on their wiki page. I was STUNNED to find out about this whole argument regarding Big Brains.

For those who don't know it...

Quote:
During the summer of 1982 they became involved in the Rock Against Reagan Tour, during which time they fell out with the band Bad Brains when Rastafarian singer H.R. learned that Big Boys' singer, Randy Turner, was gay. H.R. and MDC's Dave Dictor had an intense confrontation. Upon Bad Brains' departure from the bill, they refused to return a loan owed to Big Boys and instead left a note that reportedly read, "burn in hell bloodclot faggot." The incident resulted in the MDC song Pay to Come Along.[4] For MDC, 1982 ended with a tour of Europe with the Dead Kennedys which brought the band greater exposure in the punk scene outside of the U.S., especially in the UK.

Always a bummer when a band you love turn out to be total cunts

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2018, 08:49 PM   #40571
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i fuckin love these photos

http://www.thisisinsider.com/inside-...t-homes-2016-6

almost there... not quite
Old 03.13.2018, 08:23 AM   #40572
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
The negative space speaks louder than the spaces filled with stuff.

I either really like or already do most of that, except: I like a full fridge and cabinets. I'm not even much of a "foodie," I just like having a bunch around.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2018, 08:31 AM   #40573
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah a fridge full of white rice doesn’t appeal to me

my fridge is stacked with blocks of butter instead lol

but it’s pretty streamlined vs the old days

no more science experiments
Old 03.13.2018, 08:46 AM   #40574
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I've been listening to a load of MDC at the moment and decided to take a look on their wiki page. I was STUNNED to find out about this whole argument regarding Big Brains.

For those who don't know it...

Always a bummer when a band you love turn out to be total cunts

Rastafari are very close-minded when it comes to sexuality. They believe an old-fashioned division of gender, one where women are not to be included in smoke "sessions" and where a man is not to be tied down to one woman. They also have very rigid views on homosexuality. Rastafari take certain stuff in the Bible as literal as Evangelical Americans.
Old 03.13.2018, 08:49 AM   #40575
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i fuckin love these photos

http://www.thisisinsider.com/inside-...t-homes-2016-6

almost there... not quite

where is the line between minimalism and fetishizing being poor as fuck?

I don't think the extreme nature of minimalist living is the right solution to consumerism. it seems like a reactionary opposite, which in Japan works because everything is expensive as fuck and there just is not much room for homes and personal belongings.

that fridge full of frozen rice is crazy.
Old 03.13.2018, 09:51 AM   #40576
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
where is the line between minimalism and fetishizing being poor as fuck?

I don't think the extreme nature of minimalist living is the right solution to consumerism. it seems like a reactionary opposite, which in Japan works because everything is expensive as fuck and there just is not much room for homes and personal belongings.

that fridge full of frozen rice is crazy.

it’s funny that you see poverty and deprivation and i see a huge RELIEF. it’s like “aaaaaaah, i can breathe...”.

i’m *always* trying to get rid of my stuff, and there are so many infinite layers of stuff it’s mind-boggling. you can’t just throw everything arbitrarily because you’ll be at the store next day trying to get new stuff to function again. because it’s not really about too many things per se, it’s about too many functions operating in your life, and how each of them interconnect in a tangled tangled web. it’s taking me years to dismount/decommission them, and really to optimize them, i’m not anywhere near finished.

i really find a huge mental relief in simplicity. it’s not a fetish, i think anyway, it’s more about having more peace and silence and pleasure. not having to care after so many unnecessary things. how can i put it: it’s good for my serotonin.
Old 03.13.2018, 10:50 AM   #40577
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I was not speaking about YOUR desires to live minimally. more power to you my man. I was referring to the spate of high end magazines and blogs espousing minimalism as another "pat myself on the back for being such a GOOD HUMAN!" kind of thing.

If I were to divide everything I own (besides the car) into groups, 90% of it would be books, records, art/art supplies. These are things I value.

as far as most people I know? Most of their shit truly is unnecessary, redundant, or just bought/owned to try and impress people. I support people getting rid of all that type of shit.
Old 03.13.2018, 11:07 AM   #40578
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh right every trend or movement has its self-righteous people in autoglorify mode. just the other say i was reading about people who eat organic food being more judgmental ha ha ha ha.

but even with those shortcomings i’d rather have a world with a little more of that and a little less QVC.

as for books, man, i have marched across the world with books in tow (m-bags and library rate ftw) but i am now ready to say goodbye to their physical weight. as much as i once loved them, now they’re trophies of something i did more than serve a function. i desperately need to pare down so i can fly free.

i can’t bring myself to toss them though. i need to find them new good owners, or something.
Old 03.13.2018, 11:33 AM   #40579
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I only keep books that are personally valuable, rare, or deeply loved. Still, it is a lot to take in from 44 years of reading.

what I hate are clothes. I hate buying them, caring for them, choosing "outfits." etc. Last year I did a full cull, and got rid of half of my clothing items.
Old 03.13.2018, 11:35 AM   #40580
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

"organic" doesn't mean shit BTW. It is a self-stamped label. there is no oversight as to what constitutes an organic product or not. it is just as much make-believe as the bullshit nutrition supplements that everyone takes and pisses away down the toilet.
1529192919792019202620272028 2029 203020312032203920792129 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth