Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Do you ever pretend to not know things IRL, to avoid coming across as a prick?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.21.2011, 06:06 AM   #1
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
On the rare occasions that I actually do socialize, I often find myself engaged in conversations about music, movies, or video games. Now, while I'm probably not the most knowledged on any of these subjects on SYG - in real life, people treat me as a walking multimedia encyclopedia (say that 5 times fast).

So, to avoid coming off as a guy who just knows everything (really I don't... just more than the majority of my peers) and can never be shown anything new, every so often I will pretend to be unfamiliar with something I am quite aware of.

People enjoy being the first to expose others to their interests - it's a bonding thing. That's why everyone here gets along so well *cough* *cough* *snicker* *snicker* And if I were to rob my potential IRL pals of these opportunities, I'd be even more of a recluse than I am now.

So yeah... can anyone else relate to what I'm trying to get at here? I know we're all beyond nerdy, so I can't be the only person who has been put in this situation before.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 06:44 AM   #2
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I totally relate man. It's a little bit different for me though. I find when talking to my peers about music, the music they listen to is the music I was into when I was 16. So I often can't help but tell them "oh, yeah I used to listen to them as a teenager" or "yeah, I liked them when I was 16". They're immediately offended by this and see me as a pretentious douchebag. I'm sure you also feel alienated with your music taste 'growing up' faster than others your age.

I just wish it wasn't something that had to be seen as narcissistic. I usually just say "I used to like them" now, but it's quick for the other to realize that I don't like anything they listen to, and their entire iPod "I used to like".

Maybe try talking to them about something outside of music, movies, or video games that they can share. I know they're such good subjects to talk about, but test your limits with the others!

Theres subjects I know a lot about and reallllyyy want to have in-depth conversations about them to others. Like coding, web design, or online marketing...I could fucking talk for hours about that nerdy shit, but whenever there's someone I can talk to about those, anybody else with us is immediately alienated and gets bored to tears.
Old 04.21.2011, 06:45 AM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I can't think of a situation where this has ever happened. I tend to think that 'knowledge' never implies mastery though. People are always surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 07:29 AM   #4
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
no, but I do it online in order to look like a cunt and I have a natural-born ability of annoyance that's been honed by years of practice.

you see, the mega-pricks of SYG thrive on the game of harder-core-than-thou and the surest and easiest way to break their balls is to not play along.

the only exception is glice, who I find to be an exceptionally congenial well-font of taste and style.

I lie. he's a prick too.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 07:36 AM   #5
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
On the rare occasions that I actually do socialize, I often find myself engaged in conversations about music, movies, or video games. Now, while I'm probably not the most knowledged on any of these subjects on SYG - in real life, people treat me as a walking multimedia encyclopedia (say that 5 times fast).

So, to avoid coming off as a guy who just knows everything (really I don't... just more than the majority of my peers) and can never be shown anything new, every so often I will pretend to be unfamiliar with something I am quite aware of.

People enjoy being the first to expose others to their interests - it's a bonding thing. That's why everyone here gets along so well *cough* *cough* *snicker* *snicker* And if I were to rob my potential IRL pals of these opportunities, I'd be even more of a recluse than I am now.

So yeah... can anyone else relate to what I'm trying to get at here? I know we're all beyond nerdy, so I can't be the only person who has been put in this situation before.

prick.
Old 04.21.2011, 07:40 AM   #6
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
I kind of do that sometimes.

Not in the sense that I want to avoid coming off as a know-it-all prick, but more because answering "I never really watched that/listened to them" once in a while to some people comes across less offensive than having to say "yeah I do, and they're shit!" all the time.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 09:30 AM   #7
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
I am very aloof IRL. I am very choosy with my friends and whom i hang out with. PPl seem to aproach me everywhere I go I suppose it is because I don't really care about what others think of me. If I am asked I will share what I know. Down here no one even cares or knows about half the shit I am interested in thus I love you SYG pricks

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
no, but I do it online in order to look like a cunt and I have a natural-born ability of annoyance that's been honed by years of practice.

You realise that being ignored and generally quite boring is not quite the same as annoying people, don't you? Only the above is a bit like the kid no-one wanted to play with pretending he didn't want to play with them anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 10:18 AM   #9
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I'm more intelligent and fearless than most people. Google or not.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 10:26 AM   #10
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
You realise that being ignored and generally quite boring is not quite the same as annoying people, don't you? Only the above is a bit like the kid no-one wanted to play with pretending he didn't want to play with them anyway.
come closer to my web, little fly.

I mean, lol u mad
Old 04.21.2011, 10:41 AM   #11
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

I trace the decline of this board back to the day that TPS showed you all to be nothing more than stuffed shirt twats locked in a text-based MUD with a singular goal of one uppance.

with minimal Judo-like effort, you were brought to your knees as your tears rusted mySQL.

godspeed, good doctor and good luck. you will never get these cunts to admit a pause in their pedantic pursuits.

translation: they're all twats in real life too.

....except for Savage Clone. no lie. he deserves your worship.
Old 04.21.2011, 10:45 AM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I try to hang out with somewhat knowledgable people. My favorite thing is when someone shows me something I've never heard of. Constant learning and discovery is what really makes life worth living imo.

But to answer your question, no I haven't really dumbed myself down or anything, I don't see the point.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 11:14 AM   #13
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I try to hang out with somewhat knowledgable people. My favorite thing is when someone shows me something I've never heard of. Constant learning and discovery is what really makes life worth living imo.

But to answer your question, no I haven't really dumbed myself down or anything, I don't see the point.

Yes I LOVE it when ppl introduce me to new shit. I get so excited.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 11:15 AM   #14
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
I totally relate man. It's a little bit different for me though. I find when talking to my peers about music, the music they listen to is the music I was into when I was 16. So I often can't help but tell them "oh, yeah I used to listen to them as a teenager" or "yeah, I liked them when I was 16". They're immediately offended by this and see me as a pretentious douchebag. I'm sure you also feel alienated with your music taste 'growing up' faster than others your age.

I just wish it wasn't something that had to be seen as narcissistic. I usually just say "I used to like them" now, but it's quick for the other to realize that I don't like anything they listen to, and their entire iPod "I used to like".

Yeah, that's pretty much the exact scenario that I'm talking about. It sounds even worse coming from me though, seeing as 2 of my all-time favorites are ICP and Avril Lavigne - the poster-children for a 16 yr old's taste in music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
Maybe try talking to them about something outside of music, movies, or video games that they can share. I know they're such good subjects to talk about, but test your limits with the others!

Theres subjects I know a lot about and reallllyyy want to have in-depth conversations about them to others. Like coding, web design, or online marketing...I could fucking talk for hours about that nerdy shit, but whenever there's someone I can talk to about those, anybody else with us is immediately alienated and gets bored to tears.

Ha, I don't think I have any interests aside from media. Unless you count kinky sex, Satan, or weed, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
I kind of do that sometimes.

Not in the sense that I want to avoid coming off as a know-it-all prick, but more because answering "I never really watched that/listened to them" once in a while to some people comes across less offensive than having to say "yeah I do, and they're shit!" all the time.

That's pretty much exactly what i was referring to.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 11:43 AM   #15
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
What does IRL mean?
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 11:44 AM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
in rectal lingus

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 02:32 PM   #17
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Sometimes. I think most of the time no. Like if they're from my close circle of friends...then most likely no. We're kind of pricks to one another so....it doesn't feel bad all the time.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 04:10 PM   #18
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
I try to come off as a prick at all times so no one ever wants to hang out with me every again. Keeps me out of social situations quite nicely.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 07:58 PM   #19
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
If it's about a band I used to like but dont anymore, I'll flat out say "No.", wait for them to laugh at the abruptness and then I ask them what they like about them in a genuinely curious (for the sake of hangin around talking shit) fashion, and everybody moves on. I loathe when people dislike what I like and bumble something to the sound of "but uh, its cool that YOU like them...uh," awkward. It's fine to simply disagree.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2011, 08:52 PM   #20
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
From about 18 to 24, I was a total music snob, hating pretty much everything popular, getting indignant if someone hadn't heard of someone I really like but felt were popular enough at one time that they should be common knowledge, and judging people by their music tastes. Nowdays, I respect that other people's tastes may not mesh with mine, and it's better to find something we do agree on. Just the other day, I was talking about Pandora with someone and telling them I have stations for a wide variety of genres, from classical to metal to ambient, and they remarked that I listen to a wide variety of music. I said I like pretty much all music with the possible exception of country, and they were taken aback that I didn't like country. They asked a someone else if she like liked country and she said yes, and so they tried the "see, she likes it, why don't you" approach, saying they like country and rap. I said I like rap too, so we found some common ground. It's nice to stand on common ground; it makes me feel included and less of an outcast.

So in answer to the question in the thread title, I guess no, but often times people will be talking about some pop culture trend and I'll say I'm not familiar with it and they'll say I'm out of touch. Go figure.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth