Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Least Favorite SY Songs?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.30.2011, 11:39 PM   #81
Sykid87
little trouble girl

Sykid87 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
Besides 100%.
Agreed! I think that dirty is horrible just for the fact alot of people associate that album with being like the top album by sonic youth, and i think just about all the others are way better albums. but 100% shreds!
Old 07.31.2011, 12:11 AM   #82
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by redred
Most anything off Experimental Jet Set..

I could only listen to a few songs off that album.

I think that may have been the first SY album I heard from beginning to end. Love it.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2011, 12:14 AM   #83
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Dirty is the weakest album, no doubt.

But "JC" is just incredible.

Shit I can't listen to it anymore anyway cause it bring back memories of summers and girls.... I seriously can't even put it on as background music.

Still better than most of what most people release.
Old 07.31.2011, 12:36 AM   #84
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
I listened to the first six songs (including "Genetic") from the deluxe vinyl earlier this evening and it absolutely blew me away. I love the guitar tones, the bass too - so...dirty. And the big drums. I'll probably never really understand what it is that bothers people about this album. Possibly everything I just mentioned? Cuz the songs are great. Well, except for that one.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2011, 05:18 AM   #85
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Dirty is the weakest album, no doubt.

But "JC" is just incredible.

Shit I can't listen to it anymore anyway cause it bring back memories of summers and girls.... I seriously can't even put it on as background music.

Still better than most of what most people release.
Well, in my own opinion, Rather Ripped is worse than Dirty, by far. I can't even say which song I hate the most on this album.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2011, 01:17 PM   #86
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECKLER SPRAY
Well, in my own opinion, Rather Ripped is worse than Dirty, by far. I can't even say which song I hate the most on this album.

Hmm.. different strokes. I think Rather Ripped is pretty much perfect. I don't skip over any tracks, ever. When it first came out I was a little disappointed... like, where's the freaking noisejam, dude!?!?, but now I love it.
Old 07.31.2011, 01:52 PM   #87
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
I love Dirty, every song by Thurston for example 100% / Purr is great, also Lee's Wish Fulfillment is good. The only problem I have with it could be because of the Kim's part. Maybe they've put too many songs on this one. Swimsuit Issue / Orange Rolls, Angel's Spit are really not my deal, but song like On The Strip is one of the best Kim songs for me. Also mix is terrific on this record.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2011, 02:34 PM   #88
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
Answering the topic my least favorite Sonics are on Confusion is Sex.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2011, 03:09 PM   #89
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

I'm really surprised to hear that some people think Dirty is "horrible". Geez. SY is my favorite band for a reason. IMO they've never released a bad album, and I can count the album tracks I don't like on half a hand.
Old 08.01.2011, 12:47 AM   #90
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm really surprised to hear that some people think Dirty is "horrible". Geez. SY is my favorite band for a reason. IMO they've never released a bad album, and I can count the album tracks I don't like on half a hand.
Absolutely agree! I remembered when I put Dirty first time into recordplayer, I was afraid in 100% that they were going into kind of "Nirvana"-direction. Swimsuit Issue was little better, but then came Theresaīs sound world and I wasnīt worried anymore. I just found that there was that same band that I started to love few years ago. Shoot, Wish Fulfillment, Sugar Kane, On the Strip, Chapel Hill, Stalker, JC, Purr, Creme Brulee were also just great and thereīs nothing bad also rest of the songs. Now I think there isnīt anything bad also in 100%, I just love the whole Dirty!

By the way, my favourite album is Sister, there is many personal reasons why it is and I think also it represent all sides of SY ( I think for example Experimental and NYC are also great records, but there arenīt all sides of SY).

What proves the greatness of SY is that almost everybody seems to have different albums they like and not like.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2011, 12:29 PM   #91
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hmm.. different strokes. I think Rather Ripped is pretty much perfect. I don't skip over any tracks, ever. When it first came out I was a little disappointed... like, where's the freaking noisejam, dude!?!?, but now I love it.
Well, I was more like "damn, the Youth had to release their last album for Geffen/Universal, so they dash it off and made this mainstream soap..." I tried to get into RR but... it was out of the question. Even the cover is horrible.

Worst song : difficult to say, hm, Sleeping around for Thurston, and What a Waste for Kim. I don't even mention Rats, which is a mockery of a Lee song.

Did I mention I don't like Rather Ripped ?

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2011, 09:28 PM   #92
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Absolutely agree! I remembered when I put Dirty first time into recordplayer, I was afraid in 100% that they were going into kind of "Nirvana"-direction. Swimsuit Issue was little better, but then came Theresaīs sound world and I wasnīt worried anymore. I just found that there was that same band that I started to love few years ago. Shoot, Wish Fulfillment, Sugar Kane, On the Strip, Chapel Hill, Stalker, JC, Purr, Creme Brulee were also just great and thereīs nothing bad also rest of the songs. Now I think there isnīt anything bad also in 100%, I just love the whole Dirty!

By the way, my favourite album is Sister, there is many personal reasons why it is and I think also it represent all sides of SY ( I think for example Experimental and NYC are also great records, but there arenīt all sides of SY).

What proves the greatness of SY is that almost everybody seems to have different albums they like and not like.

Yeah, Dirty defined an entire era of my life. No, it's not some poetic bohemian masterpiece... but it's a really good pop record. Its high points are soaring and its lowest points are better than most bands' highest (awk).

Sister is my favorite too... for (and despite) many reasons that I do not wish to go into here.
Old 08.01.2011, 09:30 PM   #93
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by redred
Most anything off Experimental Jet Set..

I could only listen to a few songs off that album.

Ha!

Jet Set was my first SY record. I was a Nirvana/Pearl Jam/NIN average alterna-guy at the time, but I'd seen pictures of SY and thought "That is the coolest band on the planet" so I picked up a copy when I saw it used at a store in Berkely (I think).

Long story short- though it was definitely a bizarre intro. to the band, I love that album with all my heart.
Old 08.03.2011, 12:33 AM   #94
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Ha!

Jet Set was my first SY record. I was a Nirvana/Pearl Jam/NIN average alterna-guy at the time, but I'd seen pictures of SY and thought "That is the coolest band on the planet" so I picked up a copy when I saw it used at a store in Berkely (I think).

Long story short- though it was definitely a bizarre intro. to the band, I love that album with all my heart.

There was "Snub"-named television program. It was 1989 or 1990, when there was Sonic Youth. There are some short interviews and "Teenage Riot" and "providence" -videos. I wasnīt so impressed about them then, but then I read maybe year after a review from Goo. I decided to buy it as christmas present to my brother, but it happenend that I loved it much more than he . So thatīs how my Sonic-love started.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2011, 08:20 PM   #95
Antantats
empty page

Antantats kicks all y'all's assesAntantats kicks all y'all's assesAntantats kicks all y'all's assesAntantats kicks all y'all's assesAntantats kicks all y'all's assesAntantats kicks all y'all's assesAntantats kicks all y'all's assesAntantats kicks all y'all's assesAntantats kicks all y'all's assesAntantats kicks all y'all's assesAntantats kicks all y'all's asses
Not my style, but you look great. Yourselves, I would force people piece down a elfin bit.But that's even-handed personal preference

And at most a low-down of suggestion on those that are looking at the gowns - not all styles are that fount made. When you are shopping or having your gown custom-made, check into the conduit seams and hems etc because sometimes they are de facto dodgy.
Old 08.09.2011, 08:49 PM   #96
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

What's with the hate for this record?

I don't know..probably cause it's their most experimental studio-album.
It kinda keeps a low profile all the way through, I love it.
it is >no doubt< my favourite SY-album ever.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth