Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Origin Of Cross-Fading Guitar On Albums?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.16.2006, 12:41 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Cross-fading is basically when a guitar line starts in the left speaker and then finishes in the right i.e. "crossing over". It was very popular in the sixties, Hendrix did it a lot but im not sure if he originally started this technique.Can anyone enlighten me?
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 12:45 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not sure about guitars, but I know Cage, Stockhausen and the like did a lot of stereo things on their 40s/ 50s electronic stuff. I would imagine in rock it'd be Link Wray or someone like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 12:48 PM   #3
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Actually, the correct term is "panning." Cross-fading is what DJs do when they mix LPs together.
There are an awful lot of novelty-style "EZ Listening" Lps from the early days of stereo that go crazy with this stuff; it was certainly around before psychedelia hit the scene. When stereo was first introduced, quite a lot of records were made to sort of "demonstrate" its dimensionality, with mixed results.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Brilliant! I found a picture of one of my favourite charity shop acquisitions of this year.

That's got oodles of high quality stereo effects on it. It's a great listen.

November 1957 is the release date, and still sounds fresh today. Winner!

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 12.16.2006, 02:04 PM   #5
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
There are actually several records with that syringe/"doctored for stereo" theme on the cover. Super weird.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 02:08 PM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Yeah, I just found a load while I was looking for it. I'm going to keep a keen eye out for more of them, particularly the bongos one. And then perhaps I'll start a blog, which not even I will be bothered to read.

Quote:
Old 12.16.2006, 05:10 PM   #7
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
could someone maybe upload some early exapmles of panning of music? I'd love to hear some songs from back then with that effect.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth