Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth give 100% drawing one the biggest audiences of the ATP weekend
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.12.2009, 06:58 AM   #1
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth give 100% drawing one the biggest audiences of the ATP weekend
All Tomorrows Parties - Nightmare Before Christmas 2010review
Friday 11th December 2009

After a day of both firsts, and legendary, establish performers, day two promised to be a similar affair, with talent new and old on offer across the festival.

The first act of the day for me was Le Volume Courbe, and for me, they offered the performance of the weekend, which is no easy feat when up against the likes of Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine.

Fronted by the French-born, London based singer, Charlotte Marionneau, who is both simply beautiful, and incredibly talented, and having only released one album nearly five years ago, sound incredibly fresh amongst a whole wealth of talent.

Hand picked by My Bloody Valentine to play the festival after the band toured together last year and after Kevin Shield's contribution on the debut album, Marionneau and band delivered an equally impressive performance, with highlights including 'Sitting in your Head' and 'Freight Train'.

After witnessing such a performance, I was left a tad underwhelmed by The Pastels, the recently reformed Glaswegian indie darlings, and unfortunately my view of the band was already slightly tainted.

The band delivered a dull, twee performance, and ultimately, I felt that the simplicity of the songs resulted in a poor performance, with not much interaction from the band, and a poor delivery of their music.

What they did perform, was clearly enjoyable by their devotees, but for a person new to the band I was left completely disappointed, and so it was up to the next act to offer something different, and they certainly didn’t disappoint.

Over on the Centre Stage, J Mascis & the Fog, another side project from Dinosaur Jr's frontman, who like Witch, provided another lesson in the art of American grunge rock.

With the band playing both this weekend and the following weekend's All Tomorrows Parties festival, J Mascis has been stranded in Butlins, but with performances as good as this one, it's clear to see why the organisers were more than keen to have play as much as possible, as he clearly is flooding with talent.

'All the Girls' and the Iggy & the Stooges like 'Sameday', really demonstrated what the band were capable of, and for those audience members who came simply on the pretence that it was J Mascis playing, were left feeling a bit guilty of not coming on the reputation of the band as a whole, as they were very much enjoyable and talented.

One of the most anticipated bands of the weekend however were London 5-piece, The Horrors, who after the release of their recent album 'Primary Colours' have received some great press coverage and deserved acclaim.

Originally, I, like many others, just thought of them as another NME hyped indie band from London, who would disappear and quickly as they came onto the scene. However, with their new album they seem to have been able to come out of their shell and really show what a talented band they are, and live, this transcends into an excellent.

With lead singer Faris lurching over the microphone, he looks almost like a dictator with one arm raised in the air and his demonic looks, and with songs such as 'Primary Colours' and the simply fantastic 'Sea Within a Sea', which is my personal song of the year, the band now show a level of maturity that I don’t think anyone imagined. Now, they sound like a completely different band, and live, they've really transformed into an act that can only be enjoyed, and this has resulted in the band being asked to support the likes of Placebo and Muse on their recent arena tours.

After such a performance, I was once again sceptic of the next band I'd watch, however, I wasn't left disappointed, as I was earlier in the day.

Back over on the centre of the stage, Peter Kember, aka the frontman of Spectrum, and founding member of seminal alternative band 'Spaceman 3', along with Jason Pierce, now of Spiritualized.

Delivering another surprise set for me, he and his band really impressed as they delivered their brand of space-psychedelic alternative rock, with songs such 'How You Satisfy Me' and the new track 'War Sucks' from their new EP, really showing how the band are coming on in terms of sound, and their whole set really impressed a newcomer to the band.

The final act of the day for me, and headliners on the main stage, were New York 5-piece, Sonic Youth, a band who continually impress in all of their work, and live, they were very impressive, with their experience definitely translating into an excellent performance.

Following the release of their release of their new album 'The Eternal' earlier this year, the band has only played a handful of UK dates, and so it was perfect chance for many people to see their new material performed live.

Opening with 'Sacred Trixter', the band then went through their extensive back catalogue and delivered a very tight performance, treating fans to a handful classics such as 'Kool Thing' and '100%', providing an excellent headline set to one of the biggest audiences of the weekend.

review by Anthony Hetherington

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festival...saturday.shtml
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2009, 07:01 AM   #2
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
"Kool Thing" and "100%"? Was that guy at the same festival as I was?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2009, 07:05 AM   #3
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
"Kool Thing" and "100%"? Was that guy at the same festival as I was?

either he didn't really go or he had some really good drugs.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2009, 07:12 AM   #4
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
ha! ha! for Mr Hetherington the real sonic youth played in other atp fest
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2009, 11:42 AM   #5
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
What the hell?
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth