Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page turkish riots - #occupygezi
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.05.2013, 06:20 AM   #1
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
not that any of you should give a shit, but major turkish cities were home to nationwide protests this last week..

details can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_protests_in_Turkey

the ignition came from a dawn attack by the police forces on protesters, who were sleeping in their tents - only to be gassed, dragged and beated and have their belongings set on fire..
the environmentalists were opposing a development plan to transform the central park in istanbul (gezi parkı) into a shopping mall.. the police brutality they faced just turned the whole thing around..

we get enough shit from the islamist leaning government when it comes to civil liberties - government censorship is a major issue for me, but it' not a part of the agenda of the society in general..

last week, i fund out i was not alone..

thousands came together in support.. and police brutality escalated.. now things are cooling off -but you still can help spread the word..

http://delilimvar.tumblr.com/ -- documenting the violence

http://occupygezipics.tumblr.com/ -- photos from the demonstrations

then there's this piece in the guardian

and one piece of "vandalism" our prime minister talks about - further showing that i'm not alone:

so, dear SY gossip..
be a darling and spread the word, eh?

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not sure if you're aware, but this has been all over the anarcho/ leftist things - there's a couple of solidarity things this weekend that I should be making it out to. Certainly in the UK it's been massive headlines - and I'd say (by which I mean hope) a lot of folk are in sympathy with the cause. The British press (by which I mean the British press I read) seems mostly to be on the side of the protesters, and there's been lots of shots of various police brutality.

I hope that soon we look back on this time as 'a good thing'.

Sorry for breaking SYG protocol and saying something serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2013, 03:24 AM   #3
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
i remember this place being much cooler..
thx for the effort though..

the tensions are still high & i hope to be on the streets this weekend.. it's not just istanbul, all the major cities are in trouble too.
it's not getting any better..

*/**
nothing here...

Old 06.07.2013, 07:35 AM   #4
candymoan
the end of the ugly

*/**
nothing here...

Old 06.07.2013, 08:50 AM   #5
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
hey man just posting to say it's in the news here. not everywhere in the news because 95% the tv news is for idiots, but i've read about it on the washington post, heard/seen it on the amy goodman show, etc. our current news cycle (the serious one anyway) is consumed mostly with government espionage of its own citizens, but turkey is getting coverage.

keep up the good work and be safe.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2013, 06:33 PM   #6
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
the speng on turkey
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth