Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thousand Lee Machine
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.15.2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Feelyat
little trouble girl

Feelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud of
Is it just me, or are the Lee songs on Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves the greatest fucking songs on Earth? Seriously, "Saucer-Like," "Skip Tracer," "Hoarfrost," and "Karen Koltrane" are the best songs ever.

"Saucer-Like" is about as "fun" as Lee gets in Sonic Youth. Have you ever noticed that his songs are usually really serious? The beginning of that song almost sounds silly -- but it's this weird silliness that builds in intensity until it breaks with the main verse riff. And holy shit, when he starts singing, it sounds like it's the absolute truth.

"Skip Tracer" is incredible, at that. Can you think of a more quote-able Lee song? "Eric's Trip" and "Hey Joni" can come close, but I don't think they hit quite the mark. Every fucking line in "Skip Tracer" is one for the ages, it seems. "Twister / dustbuster / hospital bed! / I'll see you / see you / see you on the highway!".... "LA is more confusing now / than anywhere I've ever been to".... "Hello, 2015!" You want to listen to it now, don't you?

Then you get to "Hoarfrost." My god, that song's beautiful. I always a little disappointed that they didn't go with its original name ("Woodland Ode"), which I thought sounded much nicer. But either way, it's an incredibly beautiful song. The music itself... there's just this unbelievable timeless sadness to it. But then all of Lee's lyrics and the tone of his voice sort of offset the melancholy, like he's trying to comfort you.

And then, oh my fucking god: "Karen Koltrane." The song sounds, I'd say, nearly as sad as "Hoarfrost," but it has this extremely odd quality to it. It almost doesn't make sense until those noise bursts happen. And then the song gets all fucking noisy and suddenly it makes absolute sense. They make these noises with their guitars that are so mechanically violent, I can't understand how it's possible to do that. It's like the guitars are malfunctioning, but Sonic Youth is perfectly controlling every second of it. I was in high school when this record came out and I still remember the day my dad walked into my room and asked me "Is there something wrong with your stereo?" when he heard me listening to those noise bits. I laughed and told him, "No, nothing's wrong at all." No, 'cause Sonic Youth knew what they were doing. They got it right completely.
Feelyat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2006, 11:27 PM   #2
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
I'm with you man. "Skip Tracer" is probably my favorite. Like you said, just talking about it gives me the urge to listen to it.
Old 04.15.2006, 11:27 PM   #3
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
It's not just you.

I really have no words to say that you didn't.

I vote Lee for Jesus '06.
Old 04.15.2006, 11:33 PM   #4
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
lol schizo. "Skip Tracer" is definetly a great Lee song. You can tell how passionate he can get when SY plays it live.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 12:41 AM   #5
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Hell yeah....but Wish Fullfillment will always be my favorite no matter how I shake it.
Old 04.16.2006, 12:43 AM   #6
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Yeah, Karen Koltrane is probably my favorite Lee song.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 01:03 AM   #7
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
My Lee favorites:

Eric's Trip (couldn't ya tell?)
Hoar Frost
Wish Fulfillment
Pipeline/Kill time

But really, my favorite Lee songs change a lot. They are all so fucking great. Skip Tracer; I'm a little burnt out on. I did a project/powerpoint thing where I had to play the song and have a powerpoint to go with it. It sucked ass, but making it required a lot of listening. I'd be listening to a 20 second segment like on repeat.
Old 04.16.2006, 01:10 AM   #8
Feelyat
little trouble girl

Feelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Skip Tracer; I'm a little burnt out on. I did a project/powerpoint thing where I had to play the song and have a powerpoint to go with it. It sucked ass, but making it required a lot of listening. I'd be listening to a 20 second segment like on repeat.

Did you ever post that up somewhere for us to see?
Old 04.16.2006, 01:16 AM   #9
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
No...it is at my old school now, probably deleted already. No way of recovering it. It was just a bunch of clip art and google images that went along with the lyrics. A friend and I also liked putting random crap that has little to do with anything in the powerpoint for fun. Like for " SHOUTING THE POETIC TRUTHS OF HIGH SCHOOL JOURNAL KEEPERS" I put this dude that was crying. And " THE EDGE OF THE BLADE PRESSED TO THE THROAT OF YR REFLECTED IMAGE" There was a mirror a neck and a knife and I animated the knife to go all crazy on the neck, and drew a bunch of red lines squirting onto the mirror.

It was a computer class were pretty much all we did was powerpoints. People were so slow at them, I did a bunch of extra credit ones and ended up with 130% in that class.
Old 04.16.2006, 01:36 AM   #10
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
My favorite Lee songs are

Wish Fulfillment
Hoarfrost
Pipeline/Kill Time
I Dreamed I Dream
Rain King

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 02:01 AM   #11
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
kym's backing vox in saucer-like are quite beautiful as well. i made up a compilation of just lee's songs which i listen to quite a bit, i love it
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 04:39 AM   #12
golden blue
empty page

golden blue has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Mote Mote Mote
Old 04.16.2006, 05:25 AM   #13
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelyat
Is it just me, or are the Lee songs on Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves the greatest fucking songs on Earth? Seriously, "Saucer-Like," "Skip Tracer," "Hoarfrost," and "Karen Koltrane" are the best songs ever.

"Saucer-Like" is about as "fun" as Lee gets in Sonic Youth. Have you ever noticed that his songs are usually really serious? The beginning of that song almost sounds silly -- but it's this weird silliness that builds in intensity until it breaks with the main verse riff. And holy shit, when he starts singing, it sounds like it's the absolute truth.

"Skip Tracer" is incredible, at that. Can you think of a more quote-able Lee song? "Eric's Trip" and "Hey Joni" can come close, but I don't think they hit quite the mark. Every fucking line in "Skip Tracer" is one for the ages, it seems. "Twister / dustbuster / hospital bed! / I'll see you / see you / see you on the highway!".... "LA is more confusing now / than anywhere I've ever been to".... "Hello, 2015!" You want to listen to it now, don't you?

Then you get to "Hoarfrost." My god, that song's beautiful. I always a little disappointed that they didn't go with its original name ("Woodland Ode"), which I thought sounded much nicer. But either way, it's an incredibly beautiful song. The music itself... there's just this unbelievable timeless sadness to it. But then all of Lee's lyrics and the tone of his voice sort of offset the melancholy, like he's trying to comfort you.

And then, oh my fucking god: "Karen Koltrane." The song sounds, I'd say, nearly as sad as "Hoarfrost," but it has this extremely odd quality to it. It almost doesn't make sense until those noise bursts happen. And then the song gets all fucking noisy and suddenly it makes absolute sense. They make these noises with their guitars that are so mechanically violent, I can't understand how it's possible to do that. It's like the guitars are malfunctioning, but Sonic Youth is perfectly controlling every second of it. I was in high school when this record came out and I still remember the day my dad walked into my room and asked me "Is there something wrong with your stereo?" when he heard me listening to those noise bits. I laughed and told him, "No, nothing's wrong at all." No, 'cause Sonic Youth knew what they were doing. They got it right completely.

dude
you should work for a music magazine, i couldn´t agree more
nice review
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 09:08 AM   #14
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
You're right. Those songs are of my favorites with Lee at vocals, along with Rain King.

I liked the review too.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 09:57 AM   #15
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
I love Hey Joni, for when he hells "HEY!" and "Kick It!".
Old 04.16.2006, 12:17 PM   #16
Sn@ke
bad moon rising

Sn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's asses
Karen Koltrane it's my favorite song on "A Thousand Leaves".

Sn@ke

Sn@ke is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 02:16 PM   #17
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden blue
Mote Mote Mote

Yeah. Mote too. I forgot it

It's one the best Sonic Youth tracks I think

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 02:26 PM   #18
PunkerViolence
stalker

PunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's asses
Nobody has mentioned In the Kingdom #19
PunkerViolence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 03:06 PM   #19
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperstation
Nobody has mentioned In the Kingdom #19
Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
yes, of course you are right.
however, despite vocalist, consider karen koltrane as maybe best sy song, surely in top 5. it sums up all new era, sonic intelligence in sounds.
would also like to add as one of finest Lee moments, but its from 80ties: in the kingdom#19.
Old 04.17.2006, 11:28 AM   #20
Feelyat
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHandsOnTheBigOne
I'm with you man. "Skip Tracer" is probably my favorite. Like you said, just talking about it gives me the urge to listen to it.

I didn't know for a long time that Skip Tracing is an actual job. I thought it was just some awesome title Lee came up with.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth