Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.18.2016, 03:49 PM   #7621
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Thought you might find this interesting

https://www.theguardian.com/football...erman-football
yes! thank you. just finished reading it.

i indeed witnessed the dortmund boycott last weekend. worst part of it was that dortmund lost ha ha ha.

i mean, i'm cool with increasing parity in the bundesliga, so i see the "other" (more or less) side of the issue, but damn, hoisted with their own petard in a way-- if the point was to boycott them, they should have beat them too

the article fleshes out the issue nicely and i understand it better for having read about it so again thanks
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2016, 01:39 PM   #7622
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yes! thank you. just finished reading it.

i indeed witnessed the dortmund boycott last weekend. worst part of it was that dortmund lost ha ha ha.

i mean, i'm cool with increasing parity in the bundesliga, so i see the "other" (more or less) side of the issue, but damn, hoisted with their own petard in a way-- if the point was to boycott them, they should have beat them too

the article fleshes out the issue nicely and i understand it better for having read about it so again thanks

Are you watching Bayern v Atletico?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2016, 01:50 PM   #7623
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Are you watching Bayern v Atletico?
a little late byt YES!
Old 09.28.2016, 02:23 PM   #7624
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

fuck! atleti scores! but what a great game so far
Old 09.28.2016, 02:36 PM   #7625
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Celtic are giving Man City a real game. 2-2 so far.

Great game so far.
Old 09.28.2016, 03:23 PM   #7626
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Atlético defends so well it makes Bayern look... disoriented.
Old 09.28.2016, 03:25 PM   #7627
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Fuckin Vidal!!!
Old 09.28.2016, 03:58 PM   #7628
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Top marks for Celtic. I thought Man City would destroy them but they were excellent.

Did you notice any obvious differences between Pep's and Ancelotti's Bayern?
Old 09.28.2016, 04:12 PM   #7629
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Top marks for Celtic. I thought Man City would destroy them but they were excellent.

Did you notice any obvious differences between Pep's and Ancelotti's Bayern?
no different in them having possession and being unable to do anything with it, but i'll say this year bayern was the team who played rough while last year i recall they were the ones getting knocked down. even lahm got carded!

this year's bayern also has better central defenders, i think javi martinez did very well overall. but that's not to say that everyone performed well in defense though-- hummels had to come in for boateng who got carded i think and was starting to suck. but now at least there are options.

vidal had a particularly awful day, jeezus johnson, he did nothing then he got a penalty and then a card seconds after griezmann missed the shot. terrible.

everyone looked terrible and nobody could do anything. lewandowski had i think one chance alone (a header), and he blew it.

i don't know how you play against atlético. they're amazing on defense and on the attack quick and decisive. carrasco's goal was a fucking gem-- like-- snooker, right in the hardest pocket.

--

eta: i think the frustration also built up because i thought bayern had better chances in the first half

eta, again: and robben came in and couldn't do shit! not a thing. atleti DOES NOT ALLOW
Old 09.28.2016, 05:56 PM   #7630
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Atletico really are quality. Haven't seen them much this season but I really do hope they can go all the way this time. But even if they never win the CL, what Simeone's done there already will still go down as amazing.

Bad result for Man City but full credit to Celtic, who could've easily won it.

And pure schadenfreude, watching Big Sam's gloriously humiliating fall from grace.

Old 09.28.2016, 08:06 PM   #7631
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i haven't had a chance yet to read up on allardyce's one-day reign but i will soon.

atlético is a meat grinder. i really have no idea how they can be beaten. i guess one has to look for examples and watch the videos and try to reproduce some of that stuff.

today, the moment a bayern player would get the ball he'd have 4 atletico players on top. it was fucking relentless. and then you'd think that with such a scheme the defenders would just defend, but no-- filipe luis charging ahead like through his living room, and okay he's a full back, but even godin for fucks sakes-- i'm not talking about set pieces but just charging ahead when he saw an opening like he's beckenbauer. this is a tough tough puzzle for anyone to solve.
Old 09.29.2016, 05:20 AM   #7632
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Atletico exploit the vogue for possession, so theoretically the best way to counter them is to force possession onto them, to draw their defence out. (According to match stats, Bayern had nearly 70% of possession.) But then possession based teams aren't usually best equipped to sit deep for any sustained period. Although in terms of personnel available, I'd say Bayern are a team that can play both. In fact the speed they have makes them perhaps even better suited to counterattack.

An interesting article I found re Simeone's tactics vs Mourinho's

http://theinsidechannel.com/guide-at...diego-simeone/
Old 09.30.2016, 10:52 AM   #7633
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Atletico exploit the vogue for possession, so theoretically the best way to counter them is to force possession onto them, to draw their defence out. (According to match stats, Bayern had nearly 70% of possession.) But then possession based teams aren't usually best equipped to sit deep for any sustained period. Although in terms of personnel available, I'd say Bayern are a team that can play both. In fact the speed they have makes them perhaps even better suited to counterattack.

An interesting article I found re Simeone's tactics vs Mourinho's

http://theinsidechannel.com/guide-at...diego-simeone/
bayern under heynckes could change tactics very well. took him 3 years to get there but that's how they won the CL. they excelled at possession and direct football when they wanted.

pep made them magnificent at one thing but totally ruined the flexibility. like indiana jones having to fight that swordsman with his whip because he sold the gun.

i haven't seen enough of ancelotti yet to say where he's going, but this week bayern lacked speed. it didn't help that costa was injured or robben was just coming out of some recovery phase, but i also think that it was mostly atléticos pressure that neutered them.

and that looks like a GREAT article. i was looking for something like that the other day to help me decipher but had zero luck finding. gonna get past the quick browse now and give it a deep read. a big thanks.
Old 09.30.2016, 03:27 PM   #7634
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I disagree that Bayern lacked versatility under Pep. The times I saw them they often radically (and usually successfully) switched formation multiple times, often in a single game. Barca lacked versatility but no way Bayern. Indeed, if there was one real criticism of what he did in Germany, it was that he changed things up too much
Old 09.30.2016, 03:40 PM   #7635
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
demonrail I was thinking about you yesterday when I was reading an article about the NFL in the UK.. it didn't mention anything about how UK has a lot of Miami Dolphins fans like you explained to me I actually was gonna tweet the author and mention it

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2016, 04:32 PM   #7636
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
like indiana jones having to fight that swordsman with his whip because he sold the gun.

By the by, you know how that scene came about? Spielberg and his team had planned the definitive the-whip-is-mightier-than-the-sword choreography, "the ultimate John Woo scene", as he put it. But the day of the shooting Harrison Ford showed up sick with the shits, and told 'em, "Look, it was something I ate, I only have a few minutes to shoot, then I gotta hurry back to the hotel". So one of the crew members nonchalantly said, "Uhhhh, well, why don't you just shoot the guy?" — and everybody fell on the floor laughing...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2016, 04:40 PM   #7637
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
By the by, you know how that scene came about? Spielberg and his team had planned the definitive the-whip-is-mightier-than-the-sword choreography, "the ultimate John Woo scene", as he put it. But the day of the shooting Harrison Ford showed up sick with the shits, and told 'em, "Look, it was something I ate, I only have a few minutes to shoot, then I gotta hurry back to the hotel". So one of the crew members nonchalantly said, "Uhhhh, well, why don't you just shoot the guy?" — and everybody fell on the floor laughing...

It always amazes me how much some of the best artistic moments in human experience are entirely impromptu or serendipitous! This scene is a CLASSIC, I always figured it was entirely scripted.

Old 09.30.2016, 04:47 PM   #7638
demonrail666
invito al cielo

To be fair to that article, I was talking about the 80s, when they definitely had a big cult following here.

So much has happened since then that I'm sure other teams have become more popular with younger fans but guaranteed there's plenty of us left, even if we can't quite squeeze into our #13 Dolphins shirts anymore.

These article seems pretty true to what went on.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-fans...80s-1415583130

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...heir-he/nntQq/

Also this

http://forum.nfluk.com/archive/index.php/t-65077.html

When I went on holiday to Miami in the 80s, I was more excited about seeing the Orange Bowl than I was the beach.
Old 09.30.2016, 04:52 PM   #7639
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
To be fair to that article, I was talking about the 80s, when they definitely had a big cult following here.

So much has happened since then that I'm sure other teams have become more popular with younger fans but guaranteed there's plenty of us left, even if we can't quite squeeze into our #13 Dolphins shirts anymore.

These article seems pretty true to what went on.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-fans...80s-1415583130

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...heir-he/nntQq/

True BUT your insights explained why the Dolphins still have support there. I mean hey, the Dallas Cowboys haven't won shit in 25 years but they are still considered "America's Team" for their success in the 1990s, same with the San Francisco 49ers and their success in the 1980s.

Until the mid-2000s the Shitsberg Steelers were more or less still living on their successes from the 1970s!!

Old 09.30.2016, 04:53 PM   #7640
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

Reminds me of the CL final when Chelsea beat Bayern
332372379380381 382 383384385392432482 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth