Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Flaming Lips Vs. Sonic Youth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who is the BETTER band?
The Flaming Lips 2 2.70%
Sonic Youth 66 89.19%
I can't decide, they are both great! 6 8.11%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04.13.2007, 11:58 AM   #81
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
woah, kegmama posted that way before i did, and i thought it was funny so i saved it, i didn't see you or anyone giving her stick for it.

kgmama, if you are reading this, I hear you posted that special olympics kid joke. that shit is NOT funny. think befor eyou attempt humor based on correlating one person's choice to be stupid with another person;s handicap/birth defect.

and screamingskull, I was not calling you anything.

and I have gotten on people's asses here for posting that stupid mean "retarted" joke before, porks.
Old 04.13.2007, 12:16 PM   #82
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
and I have gotten on people's asses here for posting that stupid mean "retarted" joke before, porks.

it really follows along with calling things "gay".

but it's the internet and to take up that fight is something that requires stamina.

I don't think that the people who say those things mean any REAL disrespect toward who / what they are talking about (Vs. Who They Are Talking To). it doesn't mean I think it's right, but that keeps my bloodpressure low on the subject.

NEXT TOPIC: I'm a'scared of midgets. (AKA Midgets Vs. Sonic Youth)

I choose Sonic Youth again. that's 2-1 today.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 01:14 PM   #83
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
I was wondering when some chivalrous admonishment was coming from some screwball.

One cannot "have a discussion" when the topic statement "The Flaming Lips Vs. Sonic Youth" begs the question.

What you've presented is fodder for diatribe, not discussion.

here's another screwball coming up with a chivalrous admonishment:

you know the phrase "if you're so smart, why you ain't rich"?

well, if you're such a genius, as you claim, why would you choose to spread your pomposity by picking a fight with an 18 year old girl? how is that "genius", genius?

she likes what she likes.

lay off her or i'll kick your ass in front of everyone.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 01:29 PM   #84
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
they are both great, also i dont really bother categorizing it like that, though if say Flaming Lips and SY are playing the same night who do you go I woukd choose Sonic Youth (Ive seen both multiple times).

another issue is the narrow minded nature of some fans, for ex all the bitching and complaining like how dare Yeah Yeah Yeah come after SY (I was there at McCarren Park). Please cant we just all get along. Also Fugazi is great, but as far as the live experience with them, lets just say be prepared to be sucker punched, kicked etc by the random skinhead, if you take it back to 1994. I dont miss that.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 02:09 PM   #85
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Okay Let Washing Machine clear this up:

I think Screamingskull meant the title to be taken as an invitation to discuss the merits of the flaming lips 'vs' the merits of sonic youth, Unfortunately as is the case with the internet (even the almighty SY forum) things dont always turn out that way. Atari (is generally an excellent poster and someone of whom I wouldnt be surprised was in the genius range in terms of IQ anyway) and screamingskull got off on the wrong foot at the start. However I like you both as posters so kiss and make up...NOW! Although on a 'Sonic Youth' forum very few people are going to admit the lips are a better band. As for me I dont think I know enough about the lips to add anything intelligent to the debate...so in fairness I should fuck off...sorry!

All threads are dumb. Calling a thread pointless is almost laughable the whole message board experience is pointless. People are going use forums to discuss, chat about meaningless shit and generally bitch about things they hate just like in real life...everyone shits so to speak...YOUR ON A MESSAGE BOARD TALKING TO PEOPLE YOU HAVE NEVER MET...You left your right to be high and mighty when you signed up....go fuck your wife, sonic sex and all that shit

Peace Out
Washing Machine.
Old 04.13.2007, 02:19 PM   #86
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
wash the rock, wash the rock washing machine!
Old 04.13.2007, 05:20 PM   #87
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
What a bunch of miserable clap-trap.

Look, you people have read my posts for five years, you already know I'm a genius.

The only I.Q. test worth anything, the Stanford-Binet, has me at 141.

No it's not a classy thing to bring up and brag about, I realize that, but being called a "retard" by a notorious douchebag left me little choice.

We've had threads about I.Q. scores before (threads I didn't start) which are being conveniently forgotten at the moment.

The score is 47-to-1. screamingskull never had a leg to stand on, & all you johnny-come-latelys are opportunistic a-holes, rotted-out and hollow to the core.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 05:35 PM   #88
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Look, you people have read my posts for five years, you already know I'm a genius.

you get points for that. it takes cajones the size of basketballs to say stuff like that man.

I'm going to give you the genius thing. you're obviously very smart and it didn't take me five years to figure that out. however, I think tearing into this young lady for wording her post not as tactfully as it could have been isn't very tactful in itself.

your genius is being wasted on vitriol my friend.

Old 04.13.2007, 05:48 PM   #89
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I get your point, but, no, I do not agree with that.
Sure, I could have kept my head a little cooler in this thread at times, but hey, I'm no fucking saint, and, unlike some people, I'm not going to pretend to be one.

Like I wrote before, this thread inspires diatribe, not discourse. Perhaps you should pull out your dictionary.

Contrary to what some newer people might think, I have no particular ill will towards screamingskull because of this particular thread, and I'll just leave it at that.

I'm not going to let bullshit slide just because she's female, that's for sure.

Look, when AssBlaster was relentlessly hounding Laila, "Sunni Poony" and all that, I was the one that shut his ass up, and it's just so humorous and ironic that !@#$%! comes in as some protector when he's the most lecherous board member here. As for swa(y), has he made his quota for misogynist posts this week? People that I have problems with tend to eventually get banned around here, so I'd just watch the bullshit coming from your side. I hope we understand each other.

I could go on to write more & it would, no doubt, put me in further hot water, so I shall stop here, because the truth would hurt too much anyway.
Old 04.13.2007, 06:08 PM   #90
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
People that I have problems with tend to eventually get banned around here, so I'd just watch the bullshit coming from your side. I hope we understand each other.

you are saying if that if someone disagrees with you they get banned?

if that's truely the case, go on and have your cronie delete me now.

although I generally agree with you and think that you are dead-on right about a lot of stuff, I reserve the right for dissent.
Old 04.13.2007, 06:10 PM   #91
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
What a bunch of miserable clap-trap.

The only I.Q. test worth anything, the Stanford-Binet, has me at 141.

No it's not a classy thing to bring up and brag about, I realize that, but being called a "retard" by a notorious douchebag left me little choice.

We've had threads about I.Q. scores before (threads I didn't start) which are being conveniently forgotten at the moment.

The score is 47-to-1. screamingskull never had a leg to stand on, & all you johnny-come-latelys are opportunistic a-holes, rotted-out and hollow to the core.

maybe you're good at solving math problems. judging by your i.q. im actually better at them than you. regardless, i'm not here to ask people to recognize what a smart boy i am, but to tell you that you've been acting like a deranged teacher's pet, and it's quite pathetic for a man your age.

if she really "didn't stand a chance", then it's quite low of you to try to spread the misery of your life onto a young person who may not know everything but is full of enthusiasm and enjoys life. what is it that you resent in her?

she was looking for a conversation; you were free to participate or not. you "did not approve" of her subject-- oh high prophet! your post (or posturing) did not expose her failings however, only yours-- most obvious ones for anyone who has been reading your scribbllings for a long time. you are a fairly smart guy who at times acts like a raving lunatic, dr. jekyll.

yes, you may have a relatively high i.q. (one that doesn't impress me), but if you are under the delusion that this number gives you a free pass to act like an asshole and suck the joy out of the life of a kid, then you're missing a whole brain lobe. you also lack a sense of proportion-- your petty crusades are the equivalent of playing with toy soldiers, but here you would think you're fighting world war III and everything is allowed.

as you may know, i.q. tests don't measure emotional intelligence, and in that area my friend is where you are completely out of whack, or wacked, or simply wack. if you need to come to the internet to proclaim your genius, i believe you are at the end of your rope. i beg you to seek help.

in spite of my compassion for your evident emotional pain, and how your behavior is evidence that misery loves company, i'm not going to let you get away with you trying to shit on a kid. sorry. you may have an i.q. of 199, but you're still acting like a stupid fuck, and you need to get your head out of your ass & get over your denial-- you're clueless about certain things...simple things like your own behavior. loon.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 06:14 PM   #92
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Like a genius doesn't know he's a genius, an idiot doesn't know he's an idiot.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 06:20 PM   #93
atari 2600
invito al cielo

I mentioned it because I was called a "retard."

Yeah, it's a bit of a nanny nanny boo boo, but all I did was mention the "genius" thing because of the put-down.

Sure, it was silly of me to do so owing to milieu we are in,
but I did it anyway.

I knew that it would most likely become a focal point of the thread to drop the "genius" bomb too,
but I did it anyway.

It's a bit like giving the enemy ammunition.

I don't mind.
Old 04.13.2007, 06:25 PM   #94
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Atari, you're a popular member of the board. Even I've found a lot of your recent posts interesting and funny (you know what I'm saying).

But there's no competition going on here. You don't have to be constantly proving yourself.

(And you're well read so we both know the value of IQ tests).
Old 04.13.2007, 06:29 PM   #95
atari 2600
invito al cielo

You sir, exhibit the apparent tendencies of a yellow-bellied muckraker.
Old 04.13.2007, 06:31 PM   #96
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
and about the live front, i haven't seen the lips live so i can't tell. they seem like fun but i find even the best theatrical concerts to be off putting, there's something dumb about props, pyro and costumes at rock concerts, i don't know, i don't like the blue man group or cirque du soleil, i guess i don't like seeing a band pull that while playing songs. whether sonic youth are a raw, sweaty, feedback-drenched punk fest of songs and improvisation, they are a band playing songs live, not a light and sound stage show that could be staged on broadway or las vegas. it's rock n' roll.
I totally understand what you are saying, but for me I really have more fun with the theatrics. At least, the Flaming Lip's theatrics. I would be put off if it were just costumes on all of the band members. That'd be a shitty gimmick. But the Flaming Lips really go all out to the point where it becomes a fantastic experience.

I can enjoy bands who just play their songs with passion, but when done right, the big theatrics really make it a more enjoyable experience for me.

As for the poll, I voted the "can't decide" option. Right now, I'm kind of out of Sonic Youth and The Flaming Lips. I have been exploring other music a lot right now. I get kind of bored with some of the Flaming Lip's earlier music, but the same goes with some of SY right now. I'm sure I'll get back into it later.
Alex's Trip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 06:32 PM   #97
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
You're a yellow-bellied muckraker.

That's you he's talking about porky. I'm more of a lilly-livered muckraker.
Old 04.13.2007, 06:36 PM   #98
atari 2600
invito al cielo

I edited
You sir, exhibit the apparent tendencies of a yellow-bellied muckraker.

Sorta like how swa(y) eventually learned to tell his woman that "she's acting like a bitch," and not that she is a bitch.
(freely substitute "bitch" for "whore")

I mean, let's hunt the right target here if were are hunters that must hunt.
Anyway, hope the above joke doesn't necessarily have to come off as misogynistic, and thus add to the "ammunition dump." It's just a (I feel) humorous little jab.
Well, actually (then again) it's not that funny at all considering swa(y)'s threads and that he is actually like that.
Hey, what are you gonna do? Some people are assholes.
You might as well just have a laugh at their expense.

Assholes, that is, not retarded people!

Look, I figured if the dry "muckraker" wasn't entertaining maybe this would be since it's a little more juicy.
Old 04.13.2007, 06:42 PM   #99
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Oh I didn't realize we were arguing with Atari now...

I'll leave.
Alex's Trip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2007, 06:42 AM   #100
Androol
the destroyed room

Androol kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's asses
flaming lips really suck
Androol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth