Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Ways of producing feeedback
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.09.2006, 03:20 PM   #1
PunkerViolence
stalker

PunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's asses
oky im sure thers a lot of you who play guitar here and have been influenced by turston and lee's feedback/noise//distorted experementation, an try to reproduce it yourself, yes? I know i do, but can only get it to a certain degree. My amp is a Peavey somethin or other, 80 watts an it goes really fucing loud.....soo...I was wonderin how many different ways there are of producing feedback. I was experementin today, by standing the guitar infront of the amp, and detuning the strings - sounded really cool. Also when i plug in my Waah, i get some strange sounds ofa that. What about the screwdriver poking that SY did? How do u use that without perminantly fucking ur guitar sideways?
PunkerViolence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 03:27 PM   #2
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Here's what I do sometimes. Take any electronic device (remote controls, CD players, videogames, computer mouses etc etc), turn them on and put them close to your pickups and if they have buttons or knobs, start messing around with them. Sometimes it's cool but other times nothing happens.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 03:32 PM   #3
doctor dan
bad moon rising

doctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's asses
i believe t and lee put the screwdriver underneath the strings, then use it to get plinky sounds. i found out you can get really wierd feedback type sounds by recording the ambient sounds in a room, then playing them back into the room and rerecording that, then repeating the process over and over again. eventually you get a really strange low frequency humming feedback. back to guitars, the best kind i find is just VOLUME
Old 04.09.2006, 03:32 PM   #4
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
pedals of course, stand in fron of guitar hitting different pedals.
drills infront of pickups (electric toothbrush works as well but gives more of a highpitch squeel)
contact mics
also I made my own thing. Act like your making a contact mic, but instead of soldering the wires to the mic plate thing solder them to a small speaker. Then run it through some pedals into your amp and rub the speaker piece just about anywhere on the amp.

that headphone idea works too. I did it with some branca once.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 03:34 PM   #5
Dan
bad moon rising

Dan has tongues queuing up for a rim-festDan has tongues queuing up for a rim-festDan has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
What I do to get really simple screeching feedback sometimes with a couple basic pedals is boost the highs and the gain on my Boss GE-7 equalizer, and then even as far back as a few feet, I use a wah pedal to send the the highs up even more. The sensitivity is very high, and I use a Peavey Classic 50 amp, which is a 2x12, so you can get some cool dynamics depending on which speaker you point the pickups at. When I use my Mustang, I like to fuck with the pickup selectors too. Just go wild with anything that has switches or knobs.
Dan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 03:37 PM   #6
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

DoubleNickels ain't too shabby
Yeah, I like to crank the fuzz and use my palm and the direction of where I'm standing in order to control my feedback, like do I want it high pitched or do I want to sound like a train is coming down the tracks?
Old 04.09.2006, 03:46 PM   #7
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I normlly just use a cheap microphone that'll have my voice distorted and put it near the my hi-fi's speakers connected to those of my pc.The joys to be had by that can be interesting or simply boring in equal measures.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 04:20 PM   #8
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Not really feedback, but a great way to make noise is to buy a cheap keyboard (with the built in accompiaments and the crappy effects - got mine for $10) buy a two sided headphone cord, run it through you guitar amp, turn the distortion all the way up (turn the highs down because I've heard keyboards high frequencies can bust a guitar amp's speaker), put a beat on, and fuck around.

It's great fun.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 04:31 PM   #9
Soundtrax
bad moon rising

Soundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's asses
do you know an e-bow? http://www.ebow.com i dont know if you could actually call the sounds produced by ebow a feedback, but its like some kind of controlable feedback. it vibrates a string, i like it, its like the coolest thing for a guitar ever
Old 04.09.2006, 04:32 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
the quickest way to build up a solid, rolling, harmonic feedback to to rhythmically tap behind the neck up and down with the strings left "open"

If you play with reverb, gain and tone settings you can get all kinds of different sounds from this one technique, making it probably the most versatile.

Wahs are good but I think they work best with a heay distortion, the gain rather low to not be overpowering, and a slight delay. This is can be fun for those long ambient feedback bridges that we all love so much.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 04:37 PM   #11
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

DoubleNickels ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrax
do you know an e-bow? http://www.ebow.com i dont know if you could actually call the sounds produced by ebow a feedback, but its like some kind of controlable feedback. it vibrates a string, i like it, its like the coolest thing for a guitar ever

I own an ebow but the problem with it is that it's not really designed for feedback as in the avant-garde noise usage, more like feedback so the string can vibrate forever like you're using a bow on it. It's fun to put it through lots of distortion pedals though, as it creates it's own overdrive.
Old 04.09.2006, 09:26 PM   #12
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
i at one point had a 71' Impala speaker wired into the back of my amp, it had long wires and you could move it and stuff cause it was in a little wooden box . so anyway.. you take that and just grind it al lover the strings like a slide and over the picups and stuff .. makes awesome howling and voice like sounds and screatching,,, AWESOME.. also.. today i was doing some shit with
1.big muff turned on
2. harmonic percolator on
3.polychorus on
4.maestro on
5. acoustic simulator on

all this through my amp just rubbing the guitar line all over the tubes and stuff in the back of my old fender amp (with a huge weird old sony speaker wired in for better high end) and it sounded INSANEEEEEE, fust hit random shit on the peddles whilst rubbing the line everywhere and putting in on the speaker and transformer and in the other imput and stuff...GRR fURIOUS!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 09:47 PM   #13
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
Here's what I do sometimes. Take any electronic device (remote controls, CD players, videogames, computer mouses etc etc), turn them on and put them close to your pickups and if they have buttons or knobs, start messing around with them. Sometimes it's cool but other times nothing happens.
hmm. ive never heard of that. im gonna have to try that.
i wonder how that works?
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 10:50 PM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
lee endorses the fernandes sustainer

check it out
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 10:56 PM   #15
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
haha. look at that sruffy son of a gun!
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2006, 12:29 AM   #16
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
try some turntable feedback, it can sound really cool but it is kinda hard to do. something to do with the tone arm.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2006, 03:02 AM   #17
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
i just use my pedals and drumsticks while i'm playing. Or just scrape yr strings while you're playing. I think the best way to produce proper feedback is to buy a shitload of pedals, turn them all on and twist those fucking knobs
Old 04.10.2006, 03:35 AM   #18
Soundtrax
bad moon rising

Soundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

as much as i have heard of fernandes sustainer its like a built-in ebow, am i correct?
Old 04.10.2006, 07:35 AM   #19
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I work on very specific generative tunings, so each string resonates with another, which in turn generates further sounds based on the partials. It's quite a long and difficult way to make music, and I'm not going to share my secrets. But it is fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2006, 09:03 AM   #20
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I always wondered about that nice, low pitched feedback that thurs gets in Ono soul. I find it's hard to mantain the feedback that consistantly in that pitch
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth