Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.13.2016, 07:43 PM   #4381
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
eta: jesuits developed and codified casuistry. that is all about the non-black-and-white.

True, but this is part of what makes Jesuit thought intersting, if a bit self serving. The older orders are significantly less open to discussing morality in a truly philosophical and way. And Like the Jews, Jesuits — some Jesuits — are open to calling the value of the story of Abraham into question. Cause, yeah, what kind of rational person wants to worship a God who would put you through the endeavor of choosing to take your child's life? Even if it was just a SIKE! Worst. SIKE. Ever.

I'm still fascinated by the problem of evil, and I don't think that stories that focus on clearly defined representations of "good" and "evil" are necessarily lacking in maturity. Indeed, the closest I come to worshiping anything is reading Superman comics. There's a place and time for moral ambiguity (it's called real life, and it mostly sucks), and there is most definitely a place and time for pretending that evil can be destroyed by simply hucking some bad guy into the sun, or chucking some cursed artifact into the flames of Mount Doom.

In other words... comic books rule, I'm not dumb, YOU'RE dumb
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2016, 02:55 PM   #4382
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Finished and reviewed Paul Zimmerman's A Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football. http://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2016/0...ootball-i.html

About 200 pp into claw of conciliator. gonna have to, as severian said, read it and the next two back to back to back. all swept up in it.
Old 08.16.2016, 09:29 PM   #4383
pony
the end of the ugly

pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses

pony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2016, 09:31 PM   #4384
pony
the end of the ugly

pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
lemme suggest, before you do, check out georges bataille.

particularly his "literature and evil"

it's such a great fucking book. true literary criticism. the way it was meant to be before the eggheads and the MLA ruined the profession with their empty caca.

bataille will give you the right perspective. plus he was a big influence on her. plus plus plus. many pluses too long to outline.

i swear by that book. it's the kind of book that makes you want to read other books. know what i mean?

eggheads <3

MLA

because of literature and evil I just got Wuthering Heights! Will start reading it once i finished Maggie Nelson's book.

you go,symbols
pony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2016, 09:35 PM   #4385
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

About 200 pp into claw of conciliator. gonna have to, as severian said, read it and the next two back to back to back. all swept up in it.

Do it.
You're making me want to go re-read the whole blessed thing.

On Kindle/google play/e-book you can buy everything in one Book of the New Sun volume. Everything but the coda book (Urth of the New Sun) that is. I think it's currently in print too, though I may be wrong about that.

I've returned to the Goodreads app to chatter about books and get recommendations. It's not a bad service.
Old 08.17.2016, 12:50 PM   #4386
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
True, but this is part of what makes Jesuit thought intersting, if a bit self serving. The older orders are significantly less open to discussing morality in a truly philosophical and way. And Like the Jews, Jesuits — some Jesuits — are open to calling the value of the story of Abraham into question. Cause, yeah, what kind of rational person wants to worship a God who would put you through the endeavor of choosing to take your child's life? Even if it was just a SIKE! Worst. SIKE. Ever.

I'm still fascinated by the problem of evil, and I don't think that stories that focus on clearly defined representations of "good" and "evil" are necessarily lacking in maturity. Indeed, the closest I come to worshiping anything is reading Superman comics. There's a place and time for moral ambiguity (it's called real life, and it mostly sucks), and there is most definitely a place and time for pretending that evil can be destroyed by simply hucking some bad guy into the sun, or chucking some cursed artifact into the flames of Mount Doom.

In other words... comic books rule, I'm not dumb, YOU'RE dumb

well the crucifission wasn't a sike actually and that central metaphor ufff. i get to see what it is supposed to mean, but still, i don't know.

in any case yeah i just can't get into superman comics. i always hated superman anyway. when i was 3 i loved batman and spiderman though-- one was possible to emulate with the right gadgets and the other was human enough you could relate. the man from krypton always striked me as an arrogant fuck though.

but that was way back when i cared about that stuff. the last comics i was reading were astérix--then when i was about 12 i switched to books full-time, fantastic literature like poe or some of the easier borges and also cheap war novels, old-as-fuck science fictions, that sort of shit. i like some comics now but it has to be adult stuff-- sandman being the best ever, ever.

in any case im worn out on reading, and bored by most things, so this isn't your fault. i blame fucking grad school for it--the fucking killjoys.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2016, 12:53 PM   #4387
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony
eggheads <3

MLA

because of literature and evil I just got Wuthering Heights! Will start reading it once i finished Maggie Nelson's book.

you go,symbols

i wanna reread it too. it's been ages. i remember borrowing it from the DC library in some hardbound volume. now i got an ebook of it from project gutenberg.

it's hard for me to get back into novels with endless descriptions but i'll try because the characters are fucking mad and that is a good thing.
Old 08.18.2016, 06:24 AM   #4388
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
the descriptive novel feels like such an antiquity..
we have been bombarded into submission to the post-literate culture.. the spectacle is more important than plot, the dialogue is more overpowering than characters..

good writing is - and always will be - free from the conjecture..
that's probably why the classics are ageless...

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2016, 04:10 PM   #4389
Severian
invito al cielo

Ancillary Sword is fuckin' awesome.

Like the only Sci-fi that matters, it absolutely requires you to think. It doesn't waste a second on unnecessary description, or exposition. Rather, it plops you in the middle of a jungle, hands you a Swiss Army knife, and trusts you to find your way around.
Reminiscent of the best works of Wolfe, Dan Simmons and Leguin, it plants you in center of an unknowable situation, and lets you piece things together based on what you see through the protagonist's eyes.

I'm really enjoying it. Weird ass hero.. a singing AI? Still, somehow, totally badass and utterly unique. I get why it won so many awards, as it pulls off some pretty extrordinary narrative feats that border on the experimental. I'm not sure I've ever read a story with a perspective like this before. So I think the acclaim is directed at the deftness with which the author handles this... it's a stunning book from technical writing perspective. But the story itself is also completely engrossing.

Recommend.
Old 09.02.2016, 12:13 PM   #4390
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Lapham's Quarterly on disasters. Really a great read, the last letters of Robert F Scott freezing to death in the Arctic, the realities of global extinction events, invasions of the barbarians into Rome, a survivors tale of the Titanic, plague stories from 1300, a bizarre WW1 story of being in no mans land under shelling. WowZA, we have it good!

http://www.laphamsquarterly.org/about
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2016, 01:25 PM   #4391
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I got the first 10 Lapham's Quarterly's on a subscription. those shits are awesome
Old 09.04.2016, 11:15 PM   #4392
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Seven Literary Hoaxes That Fooled The Public
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2016, 09:47 AM   #4393
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Friday was an awesome day for me and my book reviews.

A few weeks ago I had read that Alan Moore (V for Vendetta, From Hell, Watchmen, Swamp Thing) was coming out with a novel that had taken him ten years to finish. It is called Jerusalem and is supposed to be Joycean in its scope and complexity.

I looked up his publisher and their parent company. They do not do emails. So I wrote a nicely typed letter to them telling them about myself and my book review blog with a link and asked them if they would be willing to send me an advance copy to review for RXTT's Intellectual Journey. Purely on a lark.

On Friday I checked my mail and W.W. Norton & Co. sent me a galley edition of Jerusalem! Fuck yeah! (Advanced Uncorrected Proofs)

Old 09.19.2016, 10:06 AM   #4394
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses

I've gotten a lot more patient with Vollmann. He can bore the shit out of some people, and I've yet to get through Europe Central, but this is so far pretty awesome, especially for anyone who's a fan of females and/or Japanese culture. I have The Dying Grass on the shelf for sometime soon, too
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2016, 01:00 PM   #4395
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

A few weeks ago I had read that Alan Moore (V for Vendetta, From Hell, Watchmen, Swamp Thing) was coming out with a novel that had taken him ten years to finish. It is called Jerusalem and is supposed to be Joycean in its scope and complexity.

I looked up his publisher and their parent company. They do not do emails. So I wrote a nicely typed letter to them telling them about myself and my book review blog with a link and asked them if they would be willing to send me an advance copy to review for RXTT's Intellectual Journey. Purely on a lark.

On Friday I checked my mail and W.W. Norton & Co. sent me a galley edition of Jerusalem! Fuck yeah! (Advanced Uncorrected Proofs)

Wow, very awesome.

And I have to say your blog has become essential reading for me. I read a fair bit on the occult (Jack Parsons, Austin Spare, Kenneth Grant, etc) and you're covering some great stuff, much of which I'd never even heard of, let alone read. Seriously love it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2016, 01:26 PM   #4396
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Thanks. I like to provide downloadable PDF's of the older out of print stuff, and I think people dig that shit.
Old 09.19.2016, 01:28 PM   #4397
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

wow! congrats!!
Old 09.19.2016, 02:57 PM   #4398
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I felt like what the early music fanzine people must have when record labels started sending them free preview stuff to review!
Old 09.19.2016, 04:22 PM   #4399
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I felt like what the early music fanzine people must have when record labels started sending them free preview stuff to review!

How's BOTNS coming?
Old 09.19.2016, 04:25 PM   #4400
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Thanks. I like to provide downloadable PDF's of the older out of print stuff, and I think people dig that shit.

Not telling you what to read/review but I'd love to see what you think of Thomas Ligotti's short stories, something like 'Last Feast of Harlequin' or 'The Frolic'. Couldn't find a PDF for either but they've got a pretty big cult following so I'm sure theyre out there. The guy's amazing. Very much a modern-day Machen/Lovecraft. 'Harlequin' will blow your mind.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
170210217218219 220 221222223230270 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth