Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The 'rockisms' of Dirty
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.01.2007, 06:42 AM   #1
sarramkrop

I rarely post on this section, but isn't Dirty meant to be re-evaluated because of the way it rocks in a solid and to the point kind of way? I'll make it my mission to stand by Sonic Youth albums that get slagged off too much, when they are in reality great records. Another one is Experimental Jet Set. I must be so out of touch with most things to think this is one of their best albums, but why all the indie criticism that it gets?What do you want, really?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 07:19 AM   #2
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I never thought of dirty being slagged off too much. Maybe t does tend to be over looked at times, but it still gets a good amount of attention. Now I definately agree with Experimental Jet Set. I love this album. With their attempt at a blues song with Quest For The Cup, and the popularity of Sweet Shine with my 2 y/o stepdaughter, this album gets a lot of play around my way.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 07:22 AM   #3
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
I think a lot of people aren't as open minded as they like to think and like to have strong opinions. It's easier to see the books upon the shelf than to see yourself.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 08:01 AM   #4
sarramkrop

And what about people who went on a rollercoaster with them? That's my thing.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 08:10 AM   #5
sarramkrop

Shut up you Scottish woman! hehehehe. I know what you mean, but i always had good times with them (if we're talking about dead people, please insert dead people here), it 's just that those records seem to take loads of criticism, that all.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 08:18 AM   #6
sarramkrop

No problem. I'm off soon.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 08:23 AM   #7
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
My favourite era of Sonic Youth is the Bad Moon to Daydream Nation era, just because the music (to me anyway) is more emotionaly effecting. I still love Goo and Dirty. For me anyway Dirty is one of the greatest examples of the symbosis between Pop and the avant-garde. Dispite what people say it was a ground-breaking album.
Old 04.01.2007, 08:26 AM   #8
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
For me anyway Dirty is one of the greatest examples of the symbosis between Pop and the avant-garde. Dispite what people say it was a ground-breaking album.
Regardless the chit chat, that is very true.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 08:28 AM   #9
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Regardless the chit chat, that is very true.

haha! I'm sorry, I'm passionate about my subject matter, I sometimes get drunk off my own pretentiousness

very few people will stand up for that album...it does rock though \m/
Old 04.01.2007, 08:33 AM   #10
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
haha! very few people will stand up for that album...it does rock though \m/
I'm not a few people. That's enough for me, even if it implies having less sex than someone who implies that it it's a good album. I dunno.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 08:35 AM   #11
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
dirty is terrible.

predictable and generic.

plain and simple.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 08:38 AM   #12
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I'm not a few people. That's enough for me, even if it implies having less sex than someone who implies that it it's a good album. I dunno.

Im not sure what you mean? I'm sure that all Sonic Youth records lead to Sex eventually
Old 04.01.2007, 09:45 AM   #13
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
even if it implies having less sex than someone who implies that it it's a good album. I dunno.

i think i had that problem when i first critiqued rather ripped

i just wonder are people cringing more at the prospect of the next album, or thinking maybe they will go in a more experimental direction? Nefeli?
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 09:47 AM   #14
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I was one of those who lost interest after Goo and found Dirty to be the final nail in the coffin.

Whilst I still don't like either of those albums I found what they did after that sometimes to be great. That said, they meant less to me after Daydream Nation.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 11:27 AM   #15
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
It's the same with all things that change, there will always be some people who won't like it. It would be lame if they tried to appease these people and became publicly controlled. It's just the same as all those Green Day fans who didn't appreciate how their music matured and changed.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 11:50 AM   #16
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i said it once, i'll say it again; my favorite sonic youth albums are dirty, confusion is sex and syr4.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 12:00 PM   #17
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I agree on both counts that the two are undervalued because of certain "rock-isms" present.

But it is precisely the "rock-ism" of say, (just one example) the crunch from Drunken Butterfly coupled with those lyrics that do detract a bit from the album.
The album is still really strong though. It's their most successful outing, so, per the unspoken rock dictum it will always have its detractors among some longtime fans. Then again, I had an eighteen year-old young woman (likes The Beatles, Led Zep, Grateful Dead) tell me recently that she likes Sonic Youth, but that song that goes "I Love You/I Love You/What's Your Name" is annoyning. haha.

Experimental, Jet Set, Trash & No Star is also often unfairly sleighted. While the overall noise level is reined-in for the most part, the album has some of their most amazing arrangements of any of the songs in their entire catalogue. Kim has some of her all-time best vocals, Lee has some tasty guitar stuff on this album, Steve has an opportunity to show more range, and Thurston busts out on Androgynous Mind and Tokyo Eye, in particular.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 05:03 PM   #18
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
cringing is like a shudder and an unwelcome feeling

it's really admirable that you are not one of the types who vents their anger and disappoint anytime SY comes up, unlike others, but honestly tastes do change in people, where SY where many people's favorite 5 years ago here, but has progressed as we learn about new really exciting bands like nnck or erase errata or les georges leningrad

i do think there is a burnout period when you listen to much of one thing where it becomes stale and you need to switch it up a bit, otherwise your favorites don't stay favorite

it's kinda hard not to be demanding of SY, they take KISS' motto "you want the best, we'll give you the best" and they more often then not deliver, assuming the new album is not gonna be on geffen, i think it will be very interesting what comes of it
Old 04.01.2007, 05:08 PM   #19
sarramkrop

Your music criticism is so American. Don't get me wrong , i like it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 05:12 PM   #20
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

how so? am curious about constructive opinions

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth