Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Evidence that Punk is so dead it needs a resurrection
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.24.2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexnaidus/p...t-punk-is-dead

Chris Brown's jacket is hideous fucking ugly
Old 09.24.2013, 09:31 AM   #2
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
oh, another reason to dislike Chris Brown? cool.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2013, 12:06 PM   #3
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
no resurrection in the secular world.

the best you have is justin bieber comparing himself to saint kurt.

truly these are fallen times and the end must come soon to deliver us from this damned land with its failed harvests. the grain stores are running thin and soon i fear the folks from the other village will come with implements of death to rob us of our land and lives.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2013, 12:31 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
So Chris Brown is the new Billy Idol so what? All the bands on his jacket are still playing shows by the way, so how is the scene dead? I'm going to see the SubHumAnS next month, there are fucking bad ass punk shows every month here in LA, maybe its dead in Houston, with maybe its dead on the radio, but I assure you, punk is most definitely alive and well, and there are plenty of great new bands playing shows with manyof the OG bands that are still doing their thing..

The Ramones were already despicably mainstream 25 years ago, how that news?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2013, 12:36 PM   #5
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
if you're asking the question, how LOW can a punk get? i guess there is no floor to the depths, so punk might go on for a long time yet, but its just kitsch by this point.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2013, 12:37 PM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

That is the most punk shit I've ever seen in my life, if I saw
that guy at a show, I'd have to give him one of the beers I snuck in

Old 09.24.2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Punk died in 1979.
Old 09.24.2013, 01:12 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

That is a rather arbitrary dating, besides, there was A LOT of great albums put out in the 1980s and 1990s you are completely scoffing for no other reason than it suits your imagination. Punk is not dead, and it has been exploited commercially since its very beginnings, but if you actually go to an actual punk show, you don't find Ciara or Chris Brown or any of that shit. You won't even find Kim Gordon's, ugh, fashion line. No, you'll find a bunch of pissed off, drunk, sweaty kids with patches celebrating the sheer nihilism of politics. Its actually quite fun and liberating to be part of such a community. Lets be frank, punx are probably the last honest people, they aren't blinded by wishful thinking or even fucking natural optimism, they are simply looking at the world of politics and culture with their eyes open enough to see how much bullshit it out there. If anything, gutter punks who drop out of society are the Sytlites and Ascetics of the post-modern world.

Old 09.24.2013, 01:27 PM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I do not consider Punk to be a musical genre of sound. It is an attitude. It is a way of life. as such, it cannot die, but what the general public perceives as punk? That died in it's infancy.

Like "grunge" a term that meant more when applied to the look of a band than to it's sound. That "grunge" bullshit lasted all of 3 years and was then sublimated into regular boring vanilla stadium rock. (Pear Jam, Soundgarden, Nickleback *shudder*)
Old 09.24.2013, 01:41 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Well Rob, sorry you feel that way, meanwhile ACTUAL punk bands who live the attitude and lifestyle you are lamenting are still alive and well in the 21st century, so maybe you need to reevaluate your definition? Besides, we all know Hannibal is better than Banacek

Old 09.24.2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I think they need to reevaluate their chosen genre!
Old 09.24.2013, 02:01 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

That is fine, and a matter of taste, and you are of course free to dig whatever music you want to, BUT, I am going to shit on your declarations that punk is dead, when its not, because again, I'll be in the pit in November thrashing it up with all the other sweaty, supposedly non-existent punx

Old 09.24.2013, 02:35 PM   #13
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Punk, in its DIY culture incarnation, is not something that the general public needs to get, it's something it needs to be confronted by whenever the occasion arises. It's no wonder you have so many people who claim they have been touched by punk in God knows what decade of punk bands they prefer and how the experience changed their lives, but they only take the sensationalist aspects of it which you can trace to top ten bands like the Sex Pistols. It's the only aspect of punk they can get their head round to. Perhaps you are one of those people yourself and can't make it past the luminaries because deep down you don't have time for all the bands stuck in the background who may or may not be losers. You're truly a real punk if you don't have a problem with being a loser because you don't just make music to be part of a lineage known to the general public, so why bother with it?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2013, 02:46 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Punk, in its DIY culture incarnation, is not something that the general public needs to get

Now I think that is crux of the issue. True punk is a subculture, and an obscure one at that. It really isn't for even a small number of masses, rather, to stay in the gutters, alleys, and dive bars from whence it came and where it thrives. Let Chris Brown buy his jacket on e-bay, let Greenday somehow continue to sell millions of records even in the 21st century, let a bunch of kids by Ramones shirts at Walmart, its fine, it was no different than Billy Idol, and that didn't kill the punk scene, if anything it forced punx to dive further into the gutter to avoid the bandwagon. Kurt Cobain's biggest sadness was seeing the same lame jocks and racists that used to beat him up in high school listening to Smells Like Teen Spirit.. Its probably what killed him, and a point as to why punk should remain in the gutter because that it where it belongs. Nirvana was better in the gutter out of the spotlight, and that is why it was destroyed and replaced by Foo Fighters, the non-drug, non-gutter, non-punk alternative.

Old 09.24.2013, 02:51 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Also, lets be honest , a significant portion of punk culture is nihilistic self-destruction. Drug abuse, alcoholism, promiscuity, these thing are the kinds of cultural slime which punx openly embrace, and after all, everybody needs some culture, even self-destroying fuck ups. So gutter and punk culture gives people a sense of community, identity, and belonging to a lifestyle which otherwise is the antithesis to those things. Its the biggest casualty by the way, too many punx succumb to their demons, especially when hedonism is a major part of that culture.

Old 09.24.2013, 03:11 PM   #16
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Loads of generalising there, Suchfriends.
Old 09.24.2013, 03:31 PM   #17
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
I kind of like that Joy Division/Mickey Mouse t shirt

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2013, 03:38 PM   #18
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Punk or not punk?

Old 09.24.2013, 03:41 PM   #19
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Ian Curtis would slice your throat if he saw you wearing a Joy Division Mickey Mouse shirt.
Old 09.24.2013, 03:42 PM   #20
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Punk or not punk?

Kinks, and Erasure. not punk?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth