Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Lost Gems
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.25.2006, 01:00 PM   #1
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
was thinking of some great relatively unknown recordings and wanted to share info on yr lost gems. a few of mine r:

Erectus Monotone, Close Up ep, chapell hill merge band, kinda polvo, but cleaner, crisper and dare i say more musical. very hard to find cuz it's out of print. but yeah, worth investigation.

Pony- Cosmovalidator, pixie-ish, 3 piece, raw, catchy, and melodic.

Ultra Vivid Scene- 67-90 joy, awesome pop gems, melodic, velvets, upbeat 4ad, great record.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 01:07 PM   #2
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
When I learn how to transfer vinyl to PC, the first thing I'll do is upload the 'For King Willy' EP by The Baby Men. From 1986, it contains four tracks and is the only thing they ever released:

Side one has two spoken-word tracks:

'The Legend of the Baby Men' is a baroque rumble, all meshing of harpsichord, trumpet, and whiplash guitar. It tells the tale of the revolutionary group The Baby Men, and how they plan to overthrow the foul dictatorship that blights the land.

The title track, 'For King Willy', is a rousing gothic chant, medieval in spirit, with reverberating guitar and thudding drums.

Side two has two instrumental tracks strewn with snatches of dialogue:

'March of the Baby Men' is simply phenomenal - pounding harpsichord an bass guitar over a tale of revenge and exile.

'Think of Honour and of Wealth' is a sombre stripped-down piece that conjures up images of moorland battlefields after the fray, with howling wind and ghostly voices.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 01:34 PM   #3
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
interesting.

oh yeah, Live Skull-Dusted is the tits too..maybe it is known round these parts, but still...

Old 03.25.2006, 02:35 PM   #4
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricechex
interesting.

oh yeah, Live Skull-Dusted is the tits too..maybe it is known round these parts, but still...

It is. 'MArch of the Baby Men opens with these judge-y spoken words (or something very similar): You are free to go. But if you are found on English soil at sunrise then I will hang you up to feed the ravens at the pinnacle of your own castle.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 09:31 PM   #5
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
queen meanie puss, they're from NZ and put out 2 singles and one track on a compilation in the early 90s.

the song "old man on the bridge" by king kong, that's an all time weirdo classic if ever there was one.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 10:14 PM   #6
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
Does anyone know if the no-wave group Red Transistor released anything elsa than that not bite/we're not crazy 7"? I don't have it due to obvious reasons, but the two songs on it are gems. I believe they were supposed to release a full lenght LP but it never came out.
and as a completely irrelevant sidenote (toilet&bowels might care)... the bass player of Can Can Heads told me CCH did a cover of Not Bite last year on some gig. Too bad there's no bootleg of that.

I don't really own rare gems... my "collection" is way too small for that.
There's some obscurities though. Like a 7" by a band called The Hattifatteners, which is basically a God is my Co-pilot sideproject inspired by the moomins.

Also some AmRep LP's and 7"s that are gems to me but not generally regarded as that I bet.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 09:10 AM   #7
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
The Hattifatteners, which is basically a God is my Co-pilot sideproject inspired by the moomins.

i'm a bit of a moomins fan, so i'd be pretty curious to hear that
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 09:14 AM   #8
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Birdmen Of Alkatraz- Glidin' Off EP

3 song 12" of 80s Italian psych trio; one of the best records I own, and one of the finest slabs of psychededelia (of any era) my ears have ever taken in!
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 09:47 AM   #9
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i'm a bit of a moomins fan, so i'd be pretty curious to hear that

It wasn't as special as the name would suggest, although they did define a new genre called moomincore. As far as I remember, it's music-wise pretty typical GIMP.

Hattifatteners, as in the ones in Moomins, still freak me out.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 11:52 AM   #10
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
something i've always thought was oft-overlooked was the s/t weird war LP featuring neil michael haggerty from royal trux... anyone else heard this/ love it as much as I do?
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 12:10 PM   #11
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
dunno if this is lost gem material but stuff by swirlies, that dog and prolapse are currently giving good memories...
Old 03.27.2006, 09:51 AM   #12
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
i haven't heard that weird war LP but, i've heard the others which are pretty great. I'm actually seeing weird war in two days. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I dont know about everywhere else but I think Rocket from the Tombs- The Day the Earth Met..... is one of the best albums i own yet not many other people are crazy about it
Onani Nic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 01:51 PM   #13
bucklebone
bad moon rising

bucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard sucka
Erectus Monotone: Didn't they contribute that killah version of "Destination Unknown" to the Freedom of Choice comp. that Thurston and whonot put together about a thousand years ago??? I still listen to that album all the time and I love it. EM's song gets plenty of airplay around the ole homestead, along with SY, the Muffs, Polvo, Yo La Tengo, etc. off of the same album.

As far as old gems...what about "Your Everywhere that I'm Not" from Translator. That's an old fave.

I HATE YOU
--Atari 2600
bucklebone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 08:23 PM   #14
ricechex
the destroyed room

buckle, hey thanks for that info about Erectus Monotone doing "Destination Unknown" (love the Missing Persons). I ordered off amazon. Polvo does Mexican Radio..!!?? Kewl. Plus, while searching this info out i discovered a lost Erectus Monotone record i ordered as well. I thought they only had one.

Old 03.28.2006, 04:36 PM   #15
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
I've been listening to a lot of thinking fellers union 252 which i think i was told about on the old board, thats good music
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2006, 06:15 PM   #16
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses

the hattifatteners creeped me out when i was a kid. not as much as the groke, though.

i have a theory that reading weird books like these when i was a kid shaped me into the high-powered mutant i am today.

sonikold is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 09:22 AM   #17
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
something i've always thought was oft-overlooked was the s/t weird war LP featuring neil michael haggerty from royal trux... anyone else heard this/ love it as much as I do?

Shit I'd so forgotten about that... I'm gonna dig it out now!.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 09:25 AM   #18
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Kewi a gogo party - What and how

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 09:28 AM   #19
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Kate b -Breakdown (like Saint Etienne before their time)

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth