Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me (3CD/3LP)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.13.2010, 03:24 AM   #161
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Guess he was.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2010, 11:39 AM   #162
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
She's smart and talented, but she's basically just a poor man's version of Noe Venable and I'm not a poor man
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2010, 12:13 PM   #163
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
If I wanted to hear half-brain-dead-child warbling I would listen to teh disney radio station.

or just remmeber to pay attention when I am plowing Regina Spektor.
Old 05.24.2010, 12:03 AM   #164
Skuj
the end of the ugly

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
I lied. I came back to torment you all.

You motherfuckers, HOOM is fuckin monumental. 2-3 months later I am still bowing to it's greatness.
Old 05.24.2010, 02:10 AM   #165
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yes!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2010, 03:34 AM   #166
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Joanna Newsom is shit, let's not forget.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2010, 03:49 AM   #167
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
so is this album any good? I heard it is from one guy, but he's a former pseudo-elitist so I don't know for sure
Old 05.24.2010, 07:22 AM   #168
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
I like it. A lot. It's a nice midpoint between the short songs of her debut and the sprawl of Ys (which I love), and it's also more mature and direct than either I feel. Her voice has only got better. I don't know which I prefer of this and Ys quite yet. Need to listen more.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2010, 07:49 AM   #169
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
I like it. A lot. It's a nice midpoint between the short songs of her debut and the sprawl of Ys (which I love), and it's also more mature and direct than either I feel. Her voice has only got better.

I agree. One of my favorite albums of the year this far.
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2010, 09:42 AM   #170
Skuj
the end of the ugly

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
I used to love Ys. Now I can't listen to it. HOOM is lightyears ahead of Ys.

I really love that she put 6 songs per disc, even though this could have been a 2CD vice 3CD. She made 3 superb 40ish minute albums here, each with amazing ending songs especially.

My only quibble (no album is perfect) is having the title song as CD1 track 2. It needs to be on much later, CD2 or 3. Where it sits, it's a bit of a hurdle before you are properly warmed up.

I cannot think of 1 song here that is weak, or that I want to skip.
Old 05.24.2010, 12:32 PM   #171
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I love Joanna Newsom. Can not stand this album. I don't have 120 minutes to dedicate solely to harps and strangled kittens.
Old 05.24.2010, 12:40 PM   #172
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
I love Joanna Newsom. Can not stand this album. I don't have 120 minutes to dedicate solely to harps and strangled kittens.

I don't understand how anyone could love, say, Ys and then say that about this. I mean sure, it's a very different album tonally, I think perhaps a better one, not sure yet, but the essentials of long songs with harp and that voice aren't HUGELY different from her earlier work...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
Old 05.24.2010, 12:41 PM   #173
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

On a side note, In California is my favourite song on the album right now. Amazing.
Old 05.24.2010, 01:03 PM   #174
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I appreciate Ys ability to be on one cd.
Old 05.24.2010, 01:16 PM   #175
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Old 05.24.2010, 01:17 PM   #176
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

guifuy
Old 05.24.2010, 02:08 PM   #177
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
She is one beautiul woman...
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2010, 10:03 PM   #178
Skuj
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche

Erm.....I'm confused.
Old 05.24.2010, 10:10 PM   #179
Skuj
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
On a side note, In California is my favourite song on the album right now. Amazing.

Isn't it though? Some of the songs on here are Astral Weeks Esque.

Baby Birch is a minimalist masterpiece.

The lyrics on this album are stunningly beautiful and heartfelt. Ys's goblins and mushrooms can't compete with this.
Old 05.24.2010, 10:32 PM   #180
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
I will admit she has some really, really good songs on this. I generally detest her schtick and the affectations of her earlier work and freak folk in general.... but she DOES have songwriting talent even if she sometime borders on precocious introvert-girl singing to her bunnies and catepillars and shit. it's easy to get turned off by the kind of people that listen to a band without actually spending time with the music.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content 2006 Sonic Youth