Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.17.2013, 10:41 PM   #3181
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Chicharito ...

yeah i like his goals, he has some brilliant ones, but he's not any kind of fit for total fotball. he's 1/2 a player in that sense. kinda like germany's gomez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Mexico's recent El Tri reign of terror across the Americas is set to end.

that never even began in the first place-- not "across the americas" no way. up in the northern CONCACAF half for sure the've been the big fish for all eternity--- but south of the panama canal mexico gets little respect-- at CONMEBOL, the "reign of terror" belongs traditionally to uruguay, argentina, and brazil (uruguay is the team that has won most copa américas, actually, though brazil has 5 world cups, argentina 2, uruguay 2 [in ancient times]-- mexico qualifies easily but has never made it past quarterfinals, and they've only reached quarterfinals while hosting world cups-- otherwise, they've been utterly craptastic i'm afraid).

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2013, 11:18 PM   #3182
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yeah i like his goals, he has some brilliant ones, but he's not any kind of fit for total fotball. he's 1/2 a player in that sense. kinda like germany's gomez!

that never even began in the first place-- not "across the americas" no way. up in the northern CONCACAF half for sure the've been the big fish for all eternity--- but south of the panama canal mexico gets little respect-- at CONMEBOL, the "reign of terror" belongs traditionally to uruguay, argentina, and brazil (uruguay is the team that has won most copa américas, actually, though brazil has 5 world cups, argentina 2, uruguay 2 [in ancient times]-- mexico qualifies easily but has never made it past quarterfinals, and they've only reached quarterfinals while hosting world cups-- otherwise, they've been utterly craptastic i'm afraid).

True, on the International level, the South Americans have dominance, but even there, in group stages Mexico is always like the scrappy motherfucker nobody wants to play, because they know they can beat them, but that it certainly won't be easy. In the America's( CONCACAF) Gold Cup? Mexico has been the big bully on the block. That is sort of what I was referring too, I follow USMNT which means (a) I only keep up with the South Americans during the World Cup and (b) Mexico is my sickest rival.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2013, 05:04 AM   #3183
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Yeah, I've never understood why Mexico underachieves to the extent that it does. Could it be because the population's so split between regions that follow football and those more into baseball?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2013, 08:49 AM   #3184
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah, I've never understood why Mexico underachieves to the extent that it does. Could it be because the population's so split between regions that follow football and those more into baseball?

I read an article that was saying that the reason they under achieve is that a lot players don't seek european football since the Mexican clubs pay so well and hence don't push themselves to greater heights.

TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2013, 09:30 AM   #3185
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i have no idea why mexico sucks so hard at football for a country that size, but they do.

on the other hand, they have produced some great boxers.
Old 06.18.2013, 12:04 PM   #3186
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
I read an article that was saying that the reason they under achieve is that a lot players don't seek european football since the Mexican clubs pay so well and hence don't push themselves to greater heights.

This is a big part. The reality is Mexican players really don't care about going to Europe because their own domestic league soccer is locally successful, well-paid, and respected. Are they like Europe? No. Does the Mexican National Team play as well internationally is it'd hope? Of course not. But I still enjoy Mexican league soccer, there are some great teams. They have a different kind of style of play than Euro teams, its in part why they haven't been able to translate into international success. The other part is as you've said, they enjoy enough relative success at home.

Old 06.18.2013, 01:30 PM   #3187
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
So I'm off to Madrid tomorrow for a few days away. Where am I most looking forward to going whilst there? THE FUCKING BERNABEU STADIUM OF COURSE! Man am I looking forward to it. I'm gonna give my mate Zidane a call and see if I can get a personal tour by him.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2013, 04:55 PM   #3188
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
True, on the International level, the South Americans have dominance, but even there, in group stages Mexico is always like the scrappy motherfucker nobody wants to play, because they know they can beat them, but that it certainly won't be easy. In the America's( CONCACAF) Gold Cup? Mexico has been the big bully on the block. That is sort of what I was referring too, I follow USMNT which means (a) I only keep up with the South Americans during the World Cup and (b) Mexico is my sickest rival.
the Americas means north/central/south! (Because you gringos stole the whole continent's name-- s'okay though).

anyway yeah here in El Norte there's been nobody else but mexico since the sport began, and it's shit all-around, but it's good to see the Yooessay is on top of the table-- maybe finally people will stop calling it "socker"-- wtf that stupid ass name.

also, the MLS is fucking dullness. player drafts, regional "conferences", stupid shit copied from other sports = shit.

anyway, gotta watch the italy/spain u21 match i recorded this morning. no spoilers!!!!
Old 06.18.2013, 06:29 PM   #3189
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
So I'm off to Madrid tomorrow for a few days away. Where am I most looking forward to going whilst there? THE FUCKING BERNABEU STADIUM OF COURSE! Man am I looking forward to it. I'm gonna give my mate Zidane a call and see if I can get a personal tour by him.

Utterly jealous. And if you see Pepe, be sure to kick him for me. Better still ask your mate Zidane to head butt him.
Old 06.18.2013, 06:31 PM   #3190
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
the Americas means north/central/south! (Because you gringos stole the whole continent's name-- s'okay though).

anyway yeah here in El Norte there's been nobody else but mexico since the sport began, and it's shit all-around, but it's good to see the Yooessay is on top of the table-- maybe finally people will stop calling it "socker"-- wtf that stupid ass name.

also, the MLS is fucking dullness. player drafts, regional "conferences", stupid shit copied from other sports = shit.

anyway, gotta watch the italy/spain u21 match i recorded this morning. no spoilers!!!!

No, South America is so damned legendary at soccer that they get their own private designation, SOUTH America, whereas the Americas plural in the FIFA system includes North and Central America (hence the plural) and the Caribbean. All of these are teams I like and generally support, so when I say "Americas" I am referring to CONCACAF

Old 06.18.2013, 06:41 PM   #3191
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
No, South America is so damned legendary at soccer that they get their own private designation, SOUTH America, whereas the Americas plural in the FIFA system includes North and Central America (hence the plural) and the Caribbean. All of these are teams I like and generally support, so when I say "Americas" I am referring to CONCACAF

okay, humpty dumpty!
Old 06.18.2013, 07:21 PM   #3192
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
on the other hand, they have produced some great boxers.

And let's not forget Salma Hayek.

From what I've seen of Mexican league football I'd say the style is far more Europe-friendly than I've seen in say the Brazilian league. What they have traditionally lacked though is outstanding individual talent. Hugo Sanchez is the only one to really stand out - in the modern era, anyway. Even Chicharito is no more than a bench player at Man U - although I personally think he's better than that. Either way, you just can't compare Mexico's history of great players with the seemingly endless production-line of brilliant ones produced by Brazil and Argentina. Not sure what Mexico can do about that. If any country could work out Brazil's and Argentina's formula for breeding that calibre of individual talent they'd obviously be using it.
Old 06.18.2013, 07:38 PM   #3193
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
And let's not forget Salma Hayek.

From what I've seen of Mexican league football I'd say the style is far more Europe-friendly than I've seen in say the Brazilian league. What they have traditionally lacked though is outstanding individual talent. Hugo Sanchez is the only one to really stand out - in the modern era, anyway. Even Chicharito is no more than a bench player at Man U - although I personally think he's better than that. Either way, you just can't compare Mexico's history of great players with the seemingly endless production-line of brilliant ones produced by Brazil and Argentina. Not sure what Mexico can do about that. If any country could work out Brazil's and Argentina's formula for breeding that calibre of individual talent they'd obviously be using it.

and fantastic mushrooms!

Old 06.18.2013, 08:34 PM   #3194
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

that spain italy match was fucking great. wow. if this is a sign of things to come, everyone else is doomed.

de gea, so young??

isco

thiago alcántara

borini

WOW

i need to re-watch
Old 06.18.2013, 08:43 PM   #3195
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
and fantastic mushrooms!

And tacos al pastor

Can we all just agree that, besides football, Mexico just rules? (I say that, never having been there.)
Old 06.18.2013, 08:44 PM   #3196
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
if this is a sign of things to come, everyone else is doomed.

Here's hoping!
Old 06.18.2013, 09:32 PM   #3197
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Here's hoping!

hoping that spain continues to be champion of everything?

italy has great players too but 4-2 was painful

(well tehre was the gift of a penalty that really took the wind out of italy's sails)

i didn't see the whole tournament and now i regret it. would have loved to see the other teams.

Quote:
And tacos al pastor

Can we all just agree that, besides football, Mexico just rules? (I say that, never having been there.)

and narco-gangs! but no, mexico is awesome, and the food is just fucking fantastic.
Old 06.19.2013, 12:04 AM   #3198
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Mexico just rules?

It does.

Old 06.19.2013, 12:28 AM   #3199
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I LOVE me some Jozy Altidore. US has 13 points to lead their group and have a nice cushion to enter the next round. we can draw out and still lead.

Old 06.19.2013, 04:53 AM   #3200
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
hoping that spain continues to be champion of everything?

italy has great players too but 4-2 was painful

(well tehre was the gift of a penalty that really took the wind out of italy's sails)

i didn't see the whole tournament and now i regret it. would have loved to see the other teams.

I was only being semi serious. I don't really want any country to dominate everything in football but if I did it'd probably be Spain or Italy ... or Argentina or ....

Ultimately, though, I just want Mexico to become the global superpower of everything (except football)

110150157158159 160 161162163170210260 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth