Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.23.2011, 03:02 PM   #2721
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
He must be doing something right if he so obviously touches a nerve.

no, quite the opposite. Since his writing style is so drab, boring and juvenile, I am touched to laugh at how people absolutely ignorant to science actually believe that dude knows anything about anything. Saint Augustine gives better, more substantive arguments for atheism, and he is a Patristic theologian! I am just waiting for a real scientist to offer a real book arguing for atheism based on actual science rather than sensationalism

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2011, 03:04 PM   #2722
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
no, quite the opposite. Since his writing style is so drab, boring and juvenile, I am touched to laugh at how people absolutely ignorant to science actually believe that dude knows anything about anything. Saint Augustine gives better, more substantive arguments for atheism, and he is a Patristic theologian! I am just waiting for a real scientist to offer a real book arguing for atheism based on actual science rather than sensationalism
There's that nerve being touched again.

Seriously though, as I've said before, our understanding of the development of superstition in human evolution has increased greatly recently and it's a fascinating subject.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2011, 03:07 PM   #2723
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
There's that nerve being touched again.

agreed, but for the opposite reasons I think you are implying. when I first read Dawkins I was excited, it was quite popular and critically acclaimed, people were saying it was life changing..

then I read it. No science, no data, no facts, no substance, just needlessly emotive fallacies and irrelevant griping. His books read more like the pissed off rantings of a 15year old's blog post

Old 02.23.2011, 03:11 PM   #2724
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
There are certainly better written and more entertaining books on the subject of the superstition we call religion. On that we can probably agree. Dawkins' arguments are accurate but indeed very basic.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2011, 03:19 PM   #2725
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
There are certainly better written and more entertaining books on the subject of the superstition we call religion. On that we can probably agree. Dawkins' arguments are accurate but indeed very basic.

When it comes to Charles Stanely or Paula White than I agree with completely but otherwise you obviously haven't read any good books on religion. And no, Dawkin's arguments are far from accurate, that is precisely my beef with him. It is not that he tries to discredit theology, no that is fine, it because he absolutely fails to do such with any accurate arguments. He uses nothing but straw man and red herring fallacies, he rarely tackles the crux of the issues head on. For example, he says that God(s) are just human anthropomorphic creations from our collective imagination, which may be true, but he just leaves it there, no evidence or documentation. He doesn't use any science or data to support this, which he could. He could just the general rules of Mechanics to point out how the Muliverse doesn't exactly operate in a way which our religions describe, and in fact suggest a randomness. Further, he could add psychological research data which points out that humans inherently seek meaning and pattern behind EVERYTHING they perceive/conceive of, and that God(s) are just a continuation of that naturally human trait. Humans look for meaning behind every rustling bush, and we inevitably draw up the conclusion that it is God(s) and this very well may be simple anthropomorphizing of otherwise natural or coincidental events. If a sophomore English student turned in an essay with the verbatim arguments I would give him a C+ for effort but ask him to elaborate and dig deeper..
Of course conversely, deep theologians argue the opposite, that the inherent and instinctive search for meaning by humans is precisely there to find God(s) in the first place, instilled in us from Creation just as hunger is a natural drive for food, this human curiousness for meaning is a hunger for the Divine. Without necessarily agreeing with either perspective, surely we can criticize the shallowness of Dawkin's argument

my beef is not Dawkins, but rather that so many people acclaim his poor writing as if it were actually good writing. I do not criticize the context or subject he is arguing, rather I am criticizing his otherwise poor writing style. It is a shame really, quite a waste. I have read his published scientific papers so I know he knows how to write, he just opted not to with these muckraker collections

Old 03.02.2011, 04:57 AM   #2726
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses

Project for a Revolution in New York - Alain Robbe-Grillet

next will be Robbe-Grillet's Topology of a Phantom City
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2011, 08:07 AM   #2727
a-p a. niemi
the destroyed room

a-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's asses

Old 03.02.2011, 01:21 PM   #2728
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by me.

Project for a Revolution in New York - Alain Robbe-Grillet

next will be Robbe-Grillet's Topology of a Phantom City

Le Voyeur is one of all time favorite scary books, I also like Jealousy and In the Labyrinth.

Regarding Dawkins, the arguments against the existence of gawd are pretty basic, but the lumpen pays so little attention to reality and logic that his books are necessary. I didn't read them more than once, so I don't suppose they, like many other books, bear a lot of deep scrutiny. so, in other words, the arguments against Dawkins I'm reading here are a lot less to the point than his vs the big white beard in the sky fellow, or whatever your silly image is of the creator...
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2011, 01:23 PM   #2729
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost

I want to buy this book. Anyone read it? My literature teacher seems to love this book .

yeah, it's a good one. Also Journey to the End of the Nuit is well worth your time.
Old 03.02.2011, 02:08 PM   #2730
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
yeah, it's a good one. Also Journey to the End of the Nuit is well worth your time.

both of these are absolutely essential reads...I translated one of his interviews once, it helps to understand his desire for delirium. He hates pretty much everyone.

currently finishing Gunsights by Elmore Leonard, one of his westerns.

Very much enjoyed last week The Tourist by Olen Steinhauer, a ripping page turner, spy novel, but with the clarity of Graham Greene.

Over the weekend, read Hollywood Hills by Joseph Wambaugh, a sympathetic cop book I don't find offensive.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2011, 04:05 PM   #2731
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
currently reading Invitation to aa beheading by vladimir nobokov.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2011, 04:19 PM   #2732
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2011, 09:03 AM   #2733
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses

Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2011, 09:18 AM   #2734
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Might do the job you're after. It'd be a bit tl;dr to explain, but PM me if you want more info.

I tend to agree about Dawkins. I feel that the subtext of his general epistemology is that everything ought to be contained by a narrow but ill-defined notion of empiricism. If he was Popperian I could square it; as it is, I'm not sure if what he's actually proposing that his proofs ought to be applied everywhere; by which token, there's no art and very little exploratory science... ironically, I suspect we'd return to some pre-Cartesian but Godless dark ages by my (admittedly rash) understanding of Dawkins.

Having said that, he does propose some very tricky questions for particular forms of Theology (think: Daniel Strange) which purport to argue for trans-historico-cosmological absolutisms to a given religio-cultural narrative.

Does anyone know if any of the New Atheists have written about John Hick?

Oh, also - Hitchens is fine; I merely disagree with his version of atheism, and he's generally a great writer. Dawkins is a cunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2011, 10:33 AM   #2735
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses

more urgent than philosophy! a fucking life-saver.

and for fun:

it's free on the kindle reader (you don't need an actual kindle). free on project gutenberg too but the kindle reader looks way better.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2011, 10:58 AM   #2736
ilduclo
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan

rouges gallery for shit sure. Surprised Cthulhu not on the cover as well.... How's the book?
Old 03.04.2011, 04:34 PM   #2737
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Finished "Au-delà de l'avenue D" by Philippe Marcadé.
No translation to English yet as far as I know.
Quite interesting and fresh, Marcadé went to the US, met Johnny Thunders with a friend, talked about the sauce on your pasta, befriended Thunders, got a band together, played Max's, CBGB's, Irving Plaza, played drums for Gang War a short while, met Sid and Nancy, slid into drug addiction, saw friends OD, die from AIDS...
It's lively, humble, he laughs at himself without having it looking like a pose. Quite good. Except for the spelling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2-f_...eature=related
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2011, 03:24 PM   #2738
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2011, 08:07 PM   #2739
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
This.
Old 03.15.2011, 06:15 AM   #2740
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Currently in the weird position of reading several books at once.

Blood Meridian (Cormac Mccormack) - Been wanting to read this ever since Dylan C. mentioned it as being an inspiration for Hex. Makes sense. An incredibly dark/fucked up portrayal of Old West, USA...but also, completely beautiful. Sodomizing savages and blood and miles of empty landscape.

Queer (William B.) - Only a few pages in, so no solid opinion this far. Reads much like Junky only desperate in different ways.
87127134135136 137 138139140147187237 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth