Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Sermon: does anyone know about them?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.02.2006, 12:34 PM   #1
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Looking through Probe Records' reduced box, I found San Francisco band The Sermon's 2004 (and it seems so far only) LP, 'Volume'. I bought it because it was £3.00, I liked the cover, and because Alternative Tentacles is a fairly reliable label.

It's some kind of punk/blues crossover, as it turns out, and I have to say that we have been enjoying it a lot. I know they are still around, as there are gig dates at the AT site, but there's very little info about them online - they don't even seem to have a myspace yet! This is what I could find, from the AT site:

"THE SERMON deliver overamped R&B with a punk rock intensity," (Maximumrocknroll) offering devastating, frenetic songs of pure rock and roll fury. San Francisco's THE SERMON formed in late 2000 to create a high-energy sound indicative of their jagged past; the current roster includes ex-members of The Fells (Estrus Records), Mount McKinleys (Get Hip Records) and The Dukes of Hamburg (Dionysus Records). The result is a straight-ahead, 60s-inspired form of garage rock that dismisses all forms of subtlety.

Volume the full-length debut CD/LP from THE SERMON captures the spirit of THE YARDBIRDS and the mandatory Detroit bands (STOOGES, MC5), drawing upon critical elements of rock n roll's finest era and redefining these sounds in today's musical context. Volume offers 12 tracks of hard-hitting rock n roll, complete with unrelenting dual guitar attack, theremin/echoplex bursts and a fierce rhythm section. The songs tell hard-boiled tales of the destitute and downtrodden, of lives commanded by urgency, desperation and deceit. Theft, paranoia, and homocide (the guitar player works in the SF police crime lab) are themes that establish the foundation for damaged, fuzzed-out guitars, vocal wails and punishing drums.

That's from the Alternative Tentacles site (you have to select The Sermon from the band list o the right), which also has a couple of streamable tracks. Have a listen - you may like them.

So, the questions: do any of you know any more about them? Are they good live? Do any of you know the band themselves? etc etc etc. I'd really like to know more, because we are very impressed with them.

Thanks for any info.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2006, 01:14 PM   #2
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Um...

I'm allowed to bump it just the once, right?

Old 05.24.2006, 01:40 PM   #3
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
never heard of em man, but bump all you like, you are "the priest" givin us "the sermon" get it?? huh d'ya get it?

i have a listen to the streamin tracks and let you know boss

jesus did i just say boss? i'm turning into a pikie
Old 05.24.2006, 02:04 PM   #4
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Good sounds, almost like a rockier version of White Stripes... Nice riffs, super-sounding melody; it sounds exactly like the yardbirds meets mc5... Cool band, thanks for sharing.
Old 06.08.2006, 06:19 PM   #5
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

I forgot to check this.

Glad you like them, alyasa. Hopr you like them too, fishmonkey.

There's an article about them on youtube, from an american tv show! The Sermon on the All Ages Show.

Old 06.08.2006, 07:10 PM   #6
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
there's another alternative tentacles band that's a r&b punk mix that's pretty good. i can't recall their name though so this is a really pointless post
Old 06.08.2006, 07:10 PM   #7
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
there's another alternative tentacles band that's a r&b punk mix that's pretty good. i can't recall their name though so this is a really pointless post
Old 06.08.2006, 07:11 PM   #8
dietzer123
stalker

twice

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth