Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Mix Tapes Round 10
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.30.2007, 11:55 AM   #121
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Danny I'm not sure I remember what tape went where. That is to say you might have Mr. Slowly's tape.

I do, as a matter of fact have your tape though Danny! I've not been able to give it a good listen yet, thus I'm not ready for the tracklist. I'll let you know.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2007, 12:12 PM   #122
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
who's tape DO I have? is it Glice's??? it don't think that it says anywhere on the tape.

I was expecting dancehall, but dancehall this is not (frankly, it's a lot better than dancehall).

I'm don't think it's like anything I've ever listened to before, but I'm totally amazed by it and JEALOUS of the creator's exponential cool factor.

words cannot express just how lame I feel for my submission.

PS: Danny: <3
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2007, 12:15 PM   #123
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Artwork is important, but not THAT important. Your tape was fine Mr. Slowly, nothing to be embarrassed about.

Glice did not send a tape, so no it's not Glices. I think I remember whose tape you have, but I'll let them tell you.
Old 08.30.2007, 12:18 PM   #124
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
how would they know??

it has a green X cut out of the cover (if that helps).

Mr. Tapeman (whoever you may be): yr badass at this game.

and, yeah, I'm ok with the music I put on it, but I'm lacking in the total package arena.
Old 08.30.2007, 12:19 PM   #125
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I will participate next time!
I'll have to keep checking the thread so I don't drop the ball again.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2007, 12:21 PM   #126
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
how would they know??

it has a green X cut out of the cover (if that helps).

You answered your own question. Congratulations.

SC. There is a Round 11 thread up, you can PM for my address.
Old 08.30.2007, 12:22 PM   #127
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
You'll have to PM it to me.
I have tried PM'ing you in the past and your freaky weirdo name is not liked by the System when I try it for some reason...
Old 08.30.2007, 12:24 PM   #128
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I will participate next time!
I'll have to keep checking the thread so I don't drop the ball again.

can one really make an entire tape of Songs in the Key of Mr. Roarke??

picture or it didn't happen.
Old 08.30.2007, 12:25 PM   #129
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Some computers have no love for cyrillic text.

PM on the way.
Old 08.30.2007, 12:27 PM   #130
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
You answered your own question. Congratulations.

yr as enigmatic as the pronunciation of yr user name.

is it from you??

are you Mr. X??

please tell me so I can grovel.
Old 08.30.2007, 12:28 PM   #131
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

No, its not me. It's from an English participant.
Old 08.30.2007, 12:37 PM   #132
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

so my choices are Pookie and Hip Priest??

Pookie's flown the coop, so I'm going to fixate on Hip Priest being my new hero.

I had no idea this was like Secret Santa (......on acid) or I would have left my incriminating name off of it!
Old 08.30.2007, 12:38 PM   #133
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

I suppose it doesn't have to be 'secret santa' type of thing.

But yes, Hip Priest is the maker of your tape.
Old 08.30.2007, 12:51 PM   #134
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
But yes, Hip Priest is the maker of your tape.

spasiba.

Dear Mr. Priest:

Being 500 years old allows one to participate in many tape exchanges. On most occasions, I am able to come away from the trade with a sense of self-worth and satisfaction.

If I was not slightly masochistic in nature, I might be honestly distressed right now. In one fell swoop you have proved my pride to be ignorance.

Your work of audio and artisitic engineering is without a doubt the highest quality compilation that I've ever received and I most humbly thank you.

Stunned in the States,

Floatingslowerthantherest
Old 08.30.2007, 02:29 PM   #135
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
spasiba.

Dear Mr. Priest:

Being 500 years old allows one to participate in many tape exchanges. On most occasions, I am able to come away from the trade with a sense of self-worth and satisfaction.

If I was not slightly masochistic in nature, I might be honestly distressed right now. In one fell swoop you have proved my pride to be ignorance.

Your work of audio and artisitic engineering is without a doubt the highest quality compilation that I've ever received and I most humbly thank you.

Stunned in the States,

Floatingslowerthantherest

I'm glad you like it so much. I'm especially pleased because I liked it a lot, and listened to it a few times before I posted it off, so I was hoping the recipient would enjoy it.

The idea was to do a kind of personal, spiritual tape, which might make sense but might not. I thought a simple, but pretty, cover would be best, and I've always liked the look of white and green together.

I think I gave you the track times on the sleeve, but not the artists or titles. The full tracklist is as follows:

A1 'Allegretto' from 'Sinfonietta' by Leos Janacek (02m25s)
A2 'Portreuth Harbour' by Polygon Window (04m44s)
A3 'Peace' by Horace Silver (06m02s)
A4 'Earth' by Third Ear Band (09m50s)
A5 'Ntyilo Ntyilo' by Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya (04m40s)
A6 'Boil Into U.V.' by Piratio (10m30s)
A7 'Me Plus One' (instrumental) by Kasabian (02m30s)
A8 'Mother and Child' by David Sylvian (04m14s)

B1 'Banks of the Dee' by Cry Havoc (03m28s)
B2 'Fiend With a Violin' by The Fall (03m05s)
B3 'Albanian' (live 2003) by Godspeed You Black Emporer (15m55s)
B4 'Bones' by Shinra (06m18s)
B5 'Sun King' by Chris Potter (07m00s)
B6 'The Private Psychedelic Reel' by The Chemical Brothers (09m20s)

I love all of the tracks, but I really believe that 'Earth' by Third Ear Band is a musical masterpiece.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2007, 02:39 PM   #136
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

the entire thing is a work of beauty my friend.

I hope that I'm not coming off as being sycophantic, I'm just really in awe.

PS: to my tape's recipient: you poor cheated fool.
Old 08.30.2007, 06:44 PM   #137
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I'm keen to know what your favourite tracks are.

Your tape is probably pretty ace too. Don't worry.

Old 08.30.2007, 06:48 PM   #138
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

You should have made him grovel in your presence a little, HP.
Old 09.01.2007, 01:30 PM   #139
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
I'm keen to know what your favourite tracks are.

the genius of the tape is that all the tracks feel like they belong with the others.

back when I could actually make tapes (pause button for the win), this is what mattered most.

taking a large variety of songs from different genres and cooking them up into something tasty is really what it was all about and this is where you win.

I love the Polygon Window track, and I have Surfing on Sine Waves somewhere but I'll be damned if I can find it. I need to dig out all that old Aphex Twin stuff, because it's been a very long time since I gave it a listen.

"Earth" is where I really started to feel my mind being blown though. I must have more Third Ear Band. if I was forced to choose, this would be my favorite track on the tape.

"Boil in UV" might make it as my second favorite. I turned it up really loud and annoyed the wife. when the wife gets annoyed at loud music, I take it as a good sign.

despite the fact that my two favorite tracks are on side 1, I think that side 2 might be my favorite overall.

of note: I have no live Godspeed, but I have just about everything else. along with A Silver Mt. Zion, Godspeed shares a collective spot among my top-10 favorite bands. "Albanian" made me want to cry. I was forced to actually wiki it because I had never heard it before***. I need live Godspeed like I need Third Ear Band right now (actually wanting something these days is exciting).

there really is no lull in yr tape.

*** wiki also made me want this:

Old 09.02.2007, 05:50 PM   #140
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
the genius of the tape is that all the tracks feel like they belong with the others.

back when I could actually make tapes (pause button for the win), this is what mattered most.

taking a large variety of songs from different genres and cooking them up into something tasty is really what it was all about and this is where you win.

I love the Polygon Window track, and I have Surfing on Sine Waves somewhere but I'll be damned if I can find it. I need to dig out all that old Aphex Twin stuff, because it's been a very long time since I gave it a listen.

"Earth" is where I really started to feel my mind being blown though. I must have more Third Ear Band. if I was forced to choose, this would be my favorite track on the tape.

"Boil in UV" might make it as my second favorite. I turned it up really loud and annoyed the wife. when the wife gets annoyed at loud music, I take it as a good sign.

despite the fact that my two favorite tracks are on side 1, I think that side 2 might be my favorite overall.

of note: I have no live Godspeed, but I have just about everything else. along with A Silver Mt. Zion, Godspeed shares a collective spot among my top-10 favorite bands. "Albanian" made me want to cry. I was forced to actually wiki it because I had never heard it before***. I need live Godspeed like I need Third Ear Band right now (actually wanting something these days is exciting).

there really is no lull in yr tape.

*** wiki also made me want this:

That would be a nice purchase.

There's a lot of live Godspeed at Internet Archive: http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...0Emperor%21%22. I'm pretty certain that's where that version of 'Albanian' came from.

I only have two Third Ear releases myself - a self titled LP (from which 'Earth') comes and one called 'The Magus'. I prefer the latter overall, except that that one track is just awesome.

As for Piratio ('Boil Into UV'), he used to have a lot of EPs for free download at his myspace site, but there's just one there now: http://www.myspace.com/lightsofpiratio. That seems a shame, but I have them all so I'm sure there's some way of getting them to you, if you wished.

Aphex Twin is the man. 'Surfing on Sine Waves' is a big contender for best Aphex Twin LP, I think.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth