Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page I've decided Ridley Scott is my favorite director of all time: DISCUSS...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.26.2013, 03:37 PM   #21
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Tarantino, Cameron, and Spielberg masters? Yikes, I can only imagine what your top 20 looks like. I mean no offense though...

I enjoyed Blade Runner, but it's nothing compared to the book.
Incidentally in the first posts I never called Spielberg or Cameron masters, I called them genre-defining, but as I mentioned in my reply think with Spielberg master can apply yes. I called Tarantino a "grit master" and I stand by that statement. Really, name a more consistently gritty director?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2013, 03:52 PM   #22
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Whatever it takes to be a 'master filmmaker' I can't think of anyone in the indie scene that'd qualify over Spielberg. It's one thing not to like the kinds of movies he tends to make but to question his ability even at the very highest level is absurd. Jaws, ET, Raiders, Close Encounters. When it comes to a certain kind of movie the guy's a flat out genius. End of.
technically he's a genius from the get-go (e.g., "duel"), thematically however he often picks up crap stuff that targets middle america ("hook"), and his casting choices aren't my favorite either (e.g. tom hanks or tom cruise or robin williams). then again, he's made 50 movies. 50.

once i watched "empire of the sun" expecting some shitballs but he blew me away. it was j.g. ballard's writing though, and john malkovich, etc. oh, and a very tiny christian bale, ha ha ha. i used to hate spielberg until i watched that and made peace with the fact that he can make some amazing shit. i hate jurassic pork and e.t. and a lot of other of his stuff. surprisingly though, i liked a.i.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2013, 06:19 PM   #23
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
technically he's a genius from the get-go (e.g., "duel"), thematically however he often picks up crap stuff that targets middle america ("hook"), and his casting choices aren't my favorite either (e.g. tom hanks or tom cruise or robin williams). then again, he's made 50 movies. 50.

once i watched "empire of the sun" expecting some shitballs but he blew me away. it was j.g. ballard's writing though, and john malkovich, etc. oh, and a very tiny christian bale, ha ha ha. i used to hate spielberg until i watched that and made peace with the fact that he can make some amazing shit. i hate jurassic pork and e.t. and a lot of other of his stuff. surprisingly though, i liked a.i.

Agree about Duel.

Fair enough if you're not a fan of stuff like ET but I think they're ultimately his forte. He's never done 'serious' well for me, but give him any old bygone b movie scenario and he's in a league of his own.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2013, 06:55 PM   #24
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
hot damn, yes (although in '82 [Cronenberg] was still making cheap movies).

Which means he wouldn't have been offered it but it's the period in his career when I think he'd have probably done the most interesting job.
Old 10.27.2013, 05:04 AM   #25
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Agree about Duel.

Fair enough if you're not a fan of stuff like ET but I think they're ultimately his forte. He's never done 'serious' well for me, but give him any old bygone b movie scenario and he's in a league of his own.

Schindler's List
Munich
Lincoln
Saving Private Ryan

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2013, 05:05 AM   #26
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
I'm sorry but to not call Spielberg a genius is just silly. That guy changed cinema and no that isn't an overstatement.

Old 10.27.2013, 05:56 AM   #27
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Schindler's List
Munich
Lincoln
Saving Private Ryan

Spielberg's shown he can make any kind of movie. I just think there are directors out there better suited to some of his more serious projects, whereas I don't think there's ever been one more perfectly suited to stuff like Raiders, Jaws, Jurassic Park, etc. I only wish he'd have a crack at a superhero movie. It's almost perverse that he's never made one.
Old 10.27.2013, 06:34 AM   #28
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Spielberg's shown he can make any kind of movie. I just think there are directors out there better suited to some of his more serious projects, whereas I don't think there's ever been one more perfectly suited to stuff like Raiders, Jaws, Jurassic Park, etc. I only wish he'd have a crack at a superhero movie. It's almost perverse that he's never made one.

Schindler's List

Old 10.27.2013, 07:46 AM   #29
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
^

Geez, yeah. I guess so. In a way. But if that's a superhero movie, it's obviously the best one ever made and I can't imagine what superhero flick is in second place.

---

Could Ridley Scott have directed Schindler's List?

Maybe. Maybe not.

I personally don't think so, and maybe that's the difference between Spiel and Scott.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2013, 12:15 PM   #30
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
^

Geez, yeah. I guess so. In a way. But if that's a superhero movie, it's obviously the best one ever made and I can't imagine what superhero flick is in second place.

---

Could Ridley Scott have directed Schindler's List?

Maybe. Maybe not.

I personally don't think so, and maybe that's the difference between Spiel and Scott.

I was joking, but nevermind. Anyway I feel Ridley Scott only did a handful of great films. A lot of his stuff was just ok. Oh and Gladiator must rank as one of the most over-rated films in recent history.

Old 10.27.2013, 01:07 PM   #31
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Gladiator is a load of overblown crap, with maybe the worst ending to any film I've ever seen.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2013, 01:11 PM   #32
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
gladiator is fucking TERRIBLE.

sure it sold a lot of popcorn though.

Quote:
Agree about Duel.

his non-serious stuff is awesomely done. just look at the editing of some jeep fight on indiana jones. i mean look at it shot by shot.

i guess what can be said of spielberg is that he's not so much an artist as a GENIUS CRAFTSMAN. which is a perfectly honorable thing to be. shit. his level of achievement is tremendous.

BUT he's never going to change the way i look at the world…

anyway riddley scott is a good craftsman too. and he had 2 great movies between 79-82. which he directed but didn't write. this is the guy who wrote it: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0639321/b..._=nm_ov_bio_sm
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2013, 05:19 PM   #33
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I only watch cartoons.

floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth