Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston Moore - The Best Day [2014]
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.31.2014, 07:47 AM   #161
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Plus we've got to do something while we're at work
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2014, 08:08 AM   #162
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

This is the first place I come to when I enter the interwebnets.
Old 10.31.2014, 08:39 AM   #163
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
he played Prague yesterday. here's short footage of his performance from czech tv.

http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ct24/kul...-nejlepsi-den/

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2014, 10:07 AM   #164
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I donīt like negativity (it seems internet really is the place for people who canīt handle their inner negativity, just threw their inner shit into others face). But of course everybody has right to say their true opinions, also if they donīt like the music their favourite artists have made. Itīs just the way how you do it.

To me it seems some people here have expectations for SY they just canīt ever fulfill again...
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2014, 11:56 AM   #165
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
That is true Mortte. Expectations are hard to meet, but maybe if someone had spoken up loudly enough Paul McCartney would have spared the world his 80's output.... ha!

I love all the sonic youth, all of them to a fault.
Old 10.31.2014, 01:37 PM   #166
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Do you really believe if you keep on complaining here SY will make the masterpiece you want?
Old 10.31.2014, 01:58 PM   #167
shirttail
Banned

shirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's assesshirttail kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
If you get offended by comments someone makes about a record by a member of a band, why are public forums created for them in the first place then? I find it a more negative attitude when someone responds to such comments implying that the offender must live a grand life putting down stuff in general because of some non-defined personal confidence they may gain from their actions. What you're doing is applying your judgemental ability to suit your views and give the impression to the person who puts the criticism of x band forward that you are not mature enough to process it and not influence your opinions at all because you disagree anyway.

I wasn't "offended" & I don't think the band is above criticism. I think Lee is & always has been uninteresting & that Steve is irrelevant. But do I go in every Lee thread & talk about how much he sucks? Do I pop into the Sleater-Kinney thread to talk about how much those sell outs continue to suck? No because obviously what they do just isn't for me. "This sucks & everything they've done since X is not up to Sonic Youth standards" & "these people are creatively incapable of making brilliant music by themselves" is not discourse, it's hubris. Goodbye!
shirttail is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2014, 02:20 PM   #168
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Do you really believe if you keep on complaining here SY will make the masterpiece you want?

I believe nothing. Sonic Youth is in the rear-view mirror of musical history and has been now for a couple of years.
Old 10.31.2014, 02:56 PM   #169
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I can't believe that fans of a band that built it's entire early rep on negativity, chaos, dissonance, anger, and screeds about murder and psychotic people get upset when someone says that this record sucks, or that the previous song sucks, or whatever.

Long Live the Butthole Surfers........dada is you, dada is I.
Old 10.31.2014, 03:30 PM   #170
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I believe nothing. Sonic Youth is in the rear-view mirror of musical history and has been now for a couple of years.
Sad, I think everybodyīs need to believe in something...
Old 10.31.2014, 03:37 PM   #171
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I can't believe that fans of a band that built it's entire early rep on negativity, chaos, dissonance, anger, and screeds about murder and psychotic people get upset when someone says that this record sucks, or that the previous song sucks, or whatever.

Long Live the Butthole Surfers........dada is you, dada is I.
I disagree at least a bit. What you said is true about three first SY-albums, but after that I find a lot of positive vibes, at least from music. And these are very positive lyrics:
STARPOWER
Spinning dreams of Angel wings
Torn blue jeans in a foolish grin
Burning down in the night
So cool and so right
Starpower Starpower Starpower over me

She knows how to make love to me
She knows how to love
Close My Eyes and think of you
Everything turns black to blue
Starpower Starpower Starpower over me
Old 10.31.2014, 03:54 PM   #172
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

to me "belief" is a blind acceptance.

I do not follow that mind-set.

I do see the beauty in SY's chaos and dissonance and anger and rage and focus on the dark side of humanity in it's early work. I also love the joy and peace and beauty to be found in their more uplifting music. I love it all (except for that fucking horrible "just a kitten" song, and 3/4 of EJST&NS)

My thing is that Thurston most of all always has seemed like a contrarian to me, someone, like me, who enjoys stirring the pot and showing how seeing the world through just one set of eyes only shows you a specific lie, and that it is best to see as many of these "lies" as possible to learn from the whole and to see the absurdity of it all.

SY as a collective were true artists to me, exploring all aspects of existance in their sounds and lyrics, and giving voice to things which so many people keep dormant, or choose to ignore in their quest for a "perfect life."

My favorite Sonic Youth song is Genetic (followed very closely by Mote)
GENETIC

LET ME TELL YOU EVERY THOUGHT THAT I'VE COME TO
WHEN I THINK OF ALL THE THINGS THAT YOU DO
I CAN'T SEE IF YR THE ONLY ONE, IT'S HARD TO SAY
AND I THINK IT'S ALL THE SAME TO ME TODAY
I CAN SEE YOU TWO
IF I COULD JUST SEE YOU THIS ONE TIME
I SIT ALONE
EVERYONE'S AT HOME
I SEE IT, I BELIEVE
SOMEHOW I KNOW IT'S TRUE
YR GENETIC KISS TO ME
I'LL LIVE INSIDE OF YOUI HAVE HEARD IT SAID BEFORE:
IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN
HAD IT DRILLED IN SINCE A KID, IT MAKES MY HEAD SPIN
NOW I'M LOOKING FOR THESE THINGS THAT I CAN'T FIND
THOUGHTS JUST COME AND GO, SWIRLIN THROUGH MY MIND
FIRST IT'S ME AND YOU
THEN IT'S HIM I'M THINKIN OF
WE SIT ALONE
NO-ONE ELSE AT HOME
I TASTE IT, I FEEL
AND NOW I KNNOW IT'S TRUE
YOUR GENETIC KISS REVEALS
I'LL LIVE INSIDE OF YOU...
HEY BABY, IT'S YOU I'M THINKIN OF
HEY BABY, WHO DO YOU LOVE?
DON'T WORRY, BABY, I'M WATCHIN EVEN AS YOU SLEEP
LET ME WHISPER SOME THINGS FOR YOU TO KEEP:
THERE'S NO PERFECT IDEA
THERE'S NO PERFECT FATE
JUST LITTLE STABS AT HAPPINESS
SOMETIMES A LITTLE TOO LATE
SO KEEP YR EYES WIDE OPEN
AND KNOW WHAT YR MADE OF
REMEMBER: FIRST THOUGHT: BEST THOUGHT
TRY TO STAY IN LOVE
HUSH.

Old 10.31.2014, 04:52 PM   #173
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
do you find all the Rain on Tin riffs tired, or comforting?
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2014, 01:17 AM   #174
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
to me "belief" is a blind acceptance.

I do not follow that mind-set.

I do see the beauty in SY's chaos and dissonance and anger and rage and focus on the dark side of humanity in it's early work. I also love the joy and peace and beauty to be found in their more uplifting music. I love it all (except for that fucking horrible "just a kitten" song, and 3/4 of EJST&NS)

My thing is that Thurston most of all always has seemed like a contrarian to me, someone, like me, who enjoys stirring the pot and showing how seeing the world through just one set of eyes only shows you a specific lie, and that it is best to see as many of these "lies" as possible to learn from the whole and to see the absurdity of it all.

SY as a collective were true artists to me, exploring all aspects of existance in their sounds and lyrics, and giving voice to things which so many people keep dormant, or choose to ignore in their quest for a "perfect life."

My favorite Sonic Youth song is Genetic (followed very closely by Mote)
GENETIC

LET ME TELL YOU EVERY THOUGHT THAT I'VE COME TO
WHEN I THINK OF ALL THE THINGS THAT YOU DO
I CAN'T SEE IF YR THE ONLY ONE, IT'S HARD TO SAY
AND I THINK IT'S ALL THE SAME TO ME TODAY
I CAN SEE YOU TWO
IF I COULD JUST SEE YOU THIS ONE TIME
I SIT ALONE
EVERYONE'S AT HOME
I SEE IT, I BELIEVE
SOMEHOW I KNOW IT'S TRUE
YR GENETIC KISS TO ME
I'LL LIVE INSIDE OF YOUI HAVE HEARD IT SAID BEFORE:
IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN
HAD IT DRILLED IN SINCE A KID, IT MAKES MY HEAD SPIN
NOW I'M LOOKING FOR THESE THINGS THAT I CAN'T FIND
THOUGHTS JUST COME AND GO, SWIRLIN THROUGH MY MIND
FIRST IT'S ME AND YOU
THEN IT'S HIM I'M THINKIN OF
WE SIT ALONE
NO-ONE ELSE AT HOME
I TASTE IT, I FEEL
AND NOW I KNNOW IT'S TRUE
YOUR GENETIC KISS REVEALS
I'LL LIVE INSIDE OF YOU...
HEY BABY, IT'S YOU I'M THINKIN OF
HEY BABY, WHO DO YOU LOVE?
DON'T WORRY, BABY, I'M WATCHIN EVEN AS YOU SLEEP
LET ME WHISPER SOME THINGS FOR YOU TO KEEP:
THERE'S NO PERFECT IDEA
THERE'S NO PERFECT FATE
JUST LITTLE STABS AT HAPPINESS
SOMETIMES A LITTLE TOO LATE
SO KEEP YR EYES WIDE OPEN
AND KNOW WHAT YR MADE OF
REMEMBER: FIRST THOUGHT: BEST THOUGHT
TRY TO STAY IN LOVE
HUSH.

You put here things I search all the music. I think greatest music is always dark or at least sad, but there is also something light & bright. Thatīs the reason why I havenīt ever liked Swans, itīs just too dark to me with no relief nowhere.
Old 11.01.2014, 01:22 AM   #175
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBebs
do you find all the Rain on Tin riffs tired, or comforting?
Comforting.
Old 11.01.2014, 08:28 AM   #176
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
If you get offended by comments someone makes about a record by a member of a band, why are public forums created for them in the first place then? I find it a more negative attitude when someone responds to such comments implying that the offender must live a grand life putting down stuff in general because of some non-defined personal confidence they may gain from their actions. What you're doing is applying your judgemental ability to suit your views and give the impression to the person who puts the criticism of x band forward that you are not mature enough to process it and not influence your opinions at all because you disagree anyway.

I am unable to rep this, so a picture must suffice.

Old 11.01.2014, 09:45 AM   #177
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
The Best Day lyric chapbook can be purchased here:

http://www.roughtrade.com/albums/88638

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2014, 12:15 PM   #178
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirttail
I wasn't "offended" & I don't think the band is above criticism. I think Lee is & always has been uninteresting & that Steve is irrelevant. But do I go in every Lee thread & talk about how much he sucks? Do I pop into the Sleater-Kinney thread to talk about how much those sell outs continue to suck? No because obviously what they do just isn't for me. "This sucks & everything they've done since X is not up to Sonic Youth standards" & "these people are creatively incapable of making brilliant music by themselves" is not discourse, it's hubris. Goodbye!

Show me insightful discourse about Sonic Youth on this forum that's happening NOW and I'll post more about buying this band's records, listening to them obsessively, supporting their creative oeuvre 200% and letting them influence the way I listen to and appreciate music in general over the years. Way before I had even reached legal age to be precise.

Also, I think you must have missed a few of my previous posts where I defended Sleater Kinney's last record before reformation too, but I don't blame you, with so much to learn about the same 90s bands discussed on this forum ad nauseam, who has the time to get a better picture of other forum members' taste, sense of humour or temperament?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2014, 12:17 PM   #179
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I can rep Jenn.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2014, 02:11 PM   #180
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
i thought i wouldn't like this record. when i heard detonation, i thougth it was (and still is) complete utter garbage, and i kinda agree that most post sy solo stuff isnt good either (especially lees stuff - sorry to offend anyone here!) - but i fuckin love this one, and it surprised me the most!
Grace Lake is a masterpiece.

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth