Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page King Crimson Anybody?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.31.2006, 08:40 PM   #1
John Violence
the end of the ugly

John Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's asses
Iv'e been really into Discipline and Red. Anybody else fans?
John Violence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2006, 09:45 PM   #2
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
let me just tell you, seeing Adrian Belew performing is something you can't just forget. i'm a big fan. RED is one of the best albums i've ever heard in my whole life, so fucking influential. the drumming... the silences... crescendos... STARLESS, man!!! and to think about they were doing that stuff IN THAT PERIOD... that's PROG, as for PROGRESSION...
Old 03.31.2006, 09:45 PM   #3
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
I also love the later stuff, THRAAK, THE POWER TO BELIEVE... great stuff...
Old 03.31.2006, 10:11 PM   #4
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Never heard 'em.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2006, 10:17 PM   #5
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
Never heard 'em.

Trust me, you don't want to. Yes is much, much better.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2006, 10:36 PM   #6
John Violence
the end of the ugly

John Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
Trust me, you don't want to. Yes is much, much better.

Yes is good but I personally think King Crimson way better. The drummer in my band keeps on telling me about THRAAK. I'll have to check it out.
Old 03.31.2006, 10:38 PM   #7
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Are they like a 70's prog band?

The only song I like by Yes is Roundabout.
Old 03.31.2006, 10:38 PM   #8
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
What Yes records have you listened to John Violence?
-George Carlin
Old 03.31.2006, 10:40 PM   #9
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Quote:
The only song I like by Yes is Roundabout.

Then you've been listening to the radio too much. Roundabout's great, but Yes has so many other great songs. "Going For The One", "Wurms", I could go on & on. There especially a great live band. (I could upload some Yes, if you like)
-George Carlin
Old 03.31.2006, 10:43 PM   #10
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

Truthfully you right. Roundabout and Owner of a Lonely Heart are the only Yes songs that are played on the radio, so they're the only songs I've heard....Don't worry about uping any Yes, you got your hands full. I might check them out on soulseek.
Old 03.31.2006, 10:47 PM   #11
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Quote:
Truthfully you right. Roundabout and Owner of a Lonely Heart are the only Yes songs that are played on the radio, so they're the only songs I've heard....Don't worry about uping any Yes, you got your hands full. I might check them out on soulseek.

To tell you the truth, I don't like the later Yes stuff. Especially "Owner Of A Lonely Heart". Hey, I don't mind upping some Yes. I have a bunch of great stuff. I've got a hard to find live Yes record, I've got them doing Richie Haven & Paul Simon covers. Just say the word & I'll get right to work.
-George Carlin
Old 03.31.2006, 10:49 PM   #12
John Violence
the end of the ugly

I have only heard Fragile and downloaded a few other ones. Don't get me wrong I like Yes but I'm more of a King Crimson fan. The members of Yes actually live about 20 miles from where I live.
Old 03.31.2006, 10:54 PM   #13
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

I understand. Different strokes for different folks, as they would say.
But just a suggestion, listen to their earlier albums, "The Yes Album" & etc., & I guarantee you'll like them alot more.
(if you haven't already)
-George Carlin
Old 03.31.2006, 11:24 PM   #14
The 97th Hammer
bad moon rising

The 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard sucka
I have In the Court of the Crimson King and In the Wake of Poesidon but nothing after that. I like both albums but thinking about it I haven't listened to them in ages.
The 97th Hammer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2006, 12:14 AM   #15
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I'm all about Lark's Tongue In Aspic. Jamie Muir rules!

As far as the Yes/Crimson debate, both are guilty of certain distasteful Prog excesses, but the infractions made by Yes are more frequent and far more severe.
Jon Anderson is not in King Crimson. KC wins on that basis alone in my book.

I do think "Close To The Edge" is pretty fucking great though.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2006, 12:20 AM   #16
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Yeah, "Close To The Edge" is a great album. To me, Yes & KC are 2 different genre's. Yes is that pure Prog rock, & KC has more of an electronic sound.
In my opinion, Yes is far better that KC, but that's me. Does anyone want me to post that Yes stuff I've been talking about? (live, covers, outtakes)
-George Carlin
Old 04.01.2006, 12:48 AM   #17
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
I like Yes and have three of their albums. I'm just getting into King Crimson and early Genesis. Also listening to some early Pink Floyd. Prog-fest!
Old 04.01.2006, 12:56 AM   #18
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Hell Fucking Yeah, Pink Floyd, the best of the best. I have some PF shit I could upload. Live @ The BBC, a track from "The Piper @ The Gates Of Dawn" that was only released on the LP version. I got tons of PF stuff. I just feel like upping some shit, that's all. Let me know if you want me to up anything for you.
-George Carlin
Old 04.01.2006, 03:33 AM   #19
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses
crimso is sweet. i have lark's tongues in aspic, starless & bible black and usa (live) on vinyl. usa is better than most people say it is, for a live recording from the 70s the sound is pretty good (on wax, anyway). the new king crimson stuff is cool too, robert fripp's been playing a lot of fretless guitar, which sounds awesome.

i don't like most prog, but i do love yes, king crimson and emerson, lake and palmer.

there's a lot of cool crimson solo stuff out there too. i have a lot of fripp- the league of gentlemen stuff is awesome- sara lee from gang of four plays bass. the stuff with eno is crazy and amazing. i also have an album by mcdonald and giles, who were in the old school crimso- a lot of the folky influence on the early albums is from them.

the link to my early PF bootleg expired, but i will gladly put it and some other live stuff back up if someone wants me to.

sonikold is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2006, 03:41 AM   #20
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikold
i don't like most prog, but i do love yes, king crimson and emerson, lake and palmer.

the link to my early PF bootleg expired, but i will gladly put it and some other live stuff back up if someone wants me to.

Hey, why don't we start a thread together w/ prog rock uploads. You could post your PF bootleg, & I could post my live Yes record, cover songs, & outtakes. Oh, & I do have more PF stuff to add to the thread, if you want to make one. Let me know & we'll get to work.
-George Carlin

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth