Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY Songs Never Played Live
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.13.2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Looking at Chris Lawrence's awesome concert chronology, I was considering why certain songs, despite appearing on LP's, were never played live or were played five times or less. For some, there seem to be obvious reasons, on which I speculate below. For others, does anyone have any ideas as to why? Did certain songs just not sound right when played live?
  1. I Dreamed I Dream (If you count that record as an LP)
  2. Protect Me You
  3. Justice is Might
  4. In the Kingdom #19 - This one might be difficult to reproduce live
  5. Disappearer - Hard to understand why. Wasn't this a single?
  6. Mildred Pierce
  7. Wish Fulfillment - Dirty was a pretty long record, with 15 songs. Hard to play all of them live. And Genetic, a Lee song not on that LP, got a lot of play during that tour.
  8. On the Strip - See #7
  9. Creme Brulee - See #7
  10. Winner's Blues - Not much touring for this record, after birth of Coco.
  11. Screaming Skull - See #10
  12. Androgynous Mind - Pearl Jam has probably played this more than Sonic Youth has.
  13. Quest for the Cup - See #10
  14. Doctor's Orders - See #10
  15. Sweet Shine - See #10
  16. Little Trouble Girl - Probably couldn't get Kim Deal to hit the tour trail just for that song.
  17. Contre Le Sexisme - Sounds more like an intro than a "song," per se. Still, I always loved it.
  18. Snare, Girl - I believe this song grew out of one of the tracks on SY2. Maybe they played that song live? Was it Stil?
  19. StreamXSonik Subway - Can't say I missed this one.
  20. The Dripping Dream - Must say I missed this one.
  21. Thunderclap for Bobby Pyn
Old 03.13.2012, 08:14 PM   #2
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Those songs are capable of killing humans when performed live. Sonic youth are not murderers.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2012, 08:40 PM   #3
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
  2. Disappearer - Hard to understand why. Wasn't this a single?
  3. Mildred Pierce
  4. The Dripping Dream - Must say I missed this one.
  5. Thunderclap for Bobby Pyn

ok from what I recall, I Dreamed I Dream was played live without vocals

Disappearer was played live at least once, I heard the live track, it sounded good, maybe it was too intricate to do every night

Mildred Pierce was played live once during the Goo tour, infact the video Dave Markey made for it features the live footage of the song

Dripping Dream was played a few times in early 2004 during their Australian tour, but not again, my thought was again too complex a song to play every night

Thunderclap was played i think 3 times in 09, caught one during their second DC show, but didn't play it much after
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Bakesalee
little trouble girl

Bakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's assesBakesalee kicks all y'all's asses
Why didn't they play Wish Fulfillment? It's as good as any song I've ever heard. Drums are out of this world, as well as everything else about it.
Bakesalee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2012, 09:36 PM   #5
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Re-reading Goodbye 20th Century, I came across a statement saying they barely remember any songs off Experimental Jet Set. Which is a shame because I love that album.

I would imagine a lot of their much older songs would be very hard to play live if they can't remember what tunings they used or how they played them. I remember reading how Thurston basically had to re-learn and study the songs off Daydream to play in it's entirety. Also, there's probably a lot of songs that have a lot of overdubs.
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2012, 09:57 PM   #6
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
http://youtu.be/D5Ld5iOv1hs

"Disappearer" live.
Old 03.13.2012, 10:24 PM   #7
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
ok from what I recall, I Dreamed I Dream was played live without vocals

Disappearer was played live at least once, I heard the live track, it sounded good, maybe it was too intricate to do every night

Mildred Pierce was played live once during the Goo tour, infact the video Dave Markey made for it features the live footage of the song

Dripping Dream was played a few times in early 2004 during their Australian tour, but not again, my thought was again too complex a song to play every night

Thunderclap was played i think 3 times in 09, caught one during their second DC show, but didn't play it much after

Thanks, Panto. The title of this thread says "never," but then I ended up including songs played less than five times. All these songs were pretty much abandoned from the live shows.

The fact that Dripping Dream was played early in 2004 seems to support your theory. Too bad! I would have love to hear it live. As for Disappearer, it appears on a live bootleg I have called Let it Run, but I'm pretty sure it's just the Goo recording with some echo added! The rest of the bootleg is pretty good, though.
Old 03.13.2012, 10:26 PM   #8
neptuneg
100%

neptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
Looking at Chris Lawrence's awesome concert chronology, I was considering why certain songs, despite appearing on LP's, were never played live or were played five times or less. For some, there seem to be obvious reasons, on which I speculate below. For others, does anyone have any ideas as to why? Did certain songs just not sound right when played live?
  2. Protect Me You
  3. Justice is Might
  4. In the Kingdom #19 - This one might be difficult to reproduce live
  5. Disappearer - Hard to understand why. Wasn't this a single?
  6. Mildred Pierce
  7. Wish Fulfillment - Dirty was a pretty long record, with 15 songs. Hard to play all of them live. And Genetic, a Lee song not on that LP, got a lot of play during that tour.
  8. On the Strip - See #7
  9. Creme Brulee - See #7
  10. Winner's Blues - Not much touring for this record, after birth of Coco.
  11. Screaming Skull - See #10
  12. Androgynous Mind - Pearl Jam has probably played this more than Sonic Youth has.
  13. Quest for the Cup - See #10
  14. Doctor's Orders - See #10
  15. Sweet Shine - See #10
  16. Little Trouble Girl - Probably couldn't get Kim Deal to hit the tour trail just for that song.
  17. Contre Le Sexisme - Sounds more like an intro than a "song," per se. Still, I always loved it.
  18. Snare, Girl - I believe this song grew out of one of the tracks on SY2. Maybe they played that song live? Was it Stil?
  19. StreamXSonik Subway - Can't say I missed this one.
  20. The Dripping Dream - Must say I missed this one.
  21. Thunderclap for Bobby Pyn

Disappearer wasn't played live much because the lyrics were a little too much for Thurston to remember, I believe. Same with Dripping Dream and StreamX.

Definitely wish they played Sweet Shine/Doctors Orders.
neptuneg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2012, 01:21 AM   #9
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
You stole all my thunder, Greg. Actually, I hadn't heard that re: Disappearer, in fact the band expresses surprise in the Goo deluxe liners that it wasn't played live often...

But I was told exactly that re: Dripping & StreamX.

"I Dreamed I Dream" was probably played a lot, there's just not many tapes from that era and I guess they abandoned it early on (perhaps no drummer played it quite like Edson?).

"Justice is Might" was played early on when they were still sticking w/ the full on Bad Moon Rising set (up until January '85, basically). Maybe because it's in a unique tuning and not worth the hassle?

"In the Kingdom" was pieced together in the studio, I think. Same for "Creme Brulee", maybe, though obviously it would be easy to recreate. I think "Dirty" had so many songs, and they played a considerable amount of them each night. The one recording we have of "On the Strip" is the first time they played it since the studio, if Thurston's introduction is accurate.

"Wish Fulfillment" - perhaps the subject matter of the song made them reluctant to play it. Or perhaps "Genetic" and "Mote" were just more fun.

All the "Jet Set" stuff is a shame.

The Amps opened the whole west coast leg of the "Washing Machine" tour, so Kim Deal was around if they wanted to do "Trouble Girl". Odd that it never came about.

"Sexisme" - sliced out of a larger improvisation.

"Stil" was the live choice to represent the "Hush" melody shared between it and "Snare, Girl".

Some other curiosities:

"1 2 3 4" - instrumental played only 5 times on the Japan 2/03 tour

"J'Accuse Ted Hughes" - infamous 4/00 ATP set intro, now immortalized on SYR7. never played again.

"Blonde Redhead" - it's like they made a pact to only play it in February of 1999.

Wow, I forgot SY did "Isolation"! Holy shit, gotta find that asap...

Hi, everybody.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth