Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Please help, I'm having major problems with my pedals.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.28.2009, 02:39 AM   #21
mkuboot
empty page

mkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's asses
Very good point about the switch, I'd forgotten that!

As you say the wah is really unique. I guess you know about the 2 trimnpots inside? They're behind the small holes on the front of the pedal. I'd rather open the pedal to adjust them though. The pots have quite a big effect on your sweep & overall wah-tone.

Julian, you could try to put some of this adhesive foam underneath the pedal on the toe-side, so you need more power to trigger the wah. Works well on mine, but still there's no real 'feeling' when hitting the switch. It's just too soft and doesn't 'click'.

Just noticed I'd promised to put up a pic - shame on me, will do this afternoon!

Light, More Light...
GOETHE
mkuboot is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2009, 01:32 PM   #22
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
check the connections. check the cables. check the jacks. you say the guitar works fine by itself so its not your pots/jacks/wiring on the guitar, so it must be something like that with your pedal set up.

I assume this is a no shit statement but you need to run each pedal by itself, individually to check which causes the feedback. I would suspect its the wah, but you mentioned some trouble with the boss dh1.. if its the wah perhaps it is a wiring/jack issue with the pedal itself? you need to check out the hardware on the wah and yr other pedals to see if you can find the mechanical source of your error. This is the very reason why I like multi-effects in the first place, but then again, it is very ver difficult to find a multi-effects that sounds as good or gives you the versatility and freedom of expression as having a pedal board..

if its not an individual pedal causing the problem by itself, perhaps it is the set up. Maybe a knob/setting was accidentally messed up adding to much gain or treble etc, and this is adding feedback to the chain. So if you do not find the culprit by checking each pedal individually (NOT IN CHAIN, BUT BY ITSELF guitar->pedal->amp) then begin to add the chain together one by one, adjusting knobs and settings to see if it reduces to feedback. Uncontrolled feedback generally results from one of three things:

a) a wiring/jack/pot issue with the guitar or the pedal (perhaps the gain/vol pot on one of yr pedals is burning out, thats what happened to me with a similar situation)

b) a setting issue with a gain or volume knob set to high (or too low) in the chain

c) a set-up issue, the pedal is just not in a nice order for yr desired sound. shuffle the order of your chain around and see if that solves the problem as well..

I say its probably a, I would suspect if it remains mysterious that its a pot issue.

you might have to take apart yr pedals and examine the wiring/pots inside for problems..

best of luck.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2009, 06:12 PM   #23
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Isn't it true that microphonic pickups can sometimes work normally unless you have a distortion or overdrive pedal in the chain?
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth