Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Quitting smoking
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.14.2016, 09:05 AM   #81
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

Well that's pretty eerie. I was just thinking how I feel incarcerated by life and how I'd like to kill a smoker who asks about my mother.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2016, 09:35 PM   #82
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Well that's pretty eerie. I was just thinking how I feel incarcerated by life and how I'd like to kill a smoker who asks about my mother.
Don't worry--we're all replicants.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2016, 08:52 AM   #83
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Yes. I've been having a lot of trouble. While I've cut back quite a bit(down to 1-3 per day), I am happy I'm able to control my urge a little more on the weekends. While out with friends, drinking and smoking some dope, it's hard to not have one, but on Fridays when I go to the arcade, I'd have up to like 10 cigarettes throughout the night. My first Friday, I actually went without a single cigarette at the bar and I was ok. I wish I can say the same of this past Friday, but unfortunately I had 3. The last one I didn't finish though, it made me feel awful.

I'm not giving up. I noticed I was able to handle myself well even after smoking weed.....which is why I smoke cigarettes in the first place. I feel like I need to 'cover up', my scent and after like 10 years, it's become more than that.

Honestly, after going a few days then lighting up a cigarette, I felt guilty and ashamed to post in this thread.

I'm sorry.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2016, 10:07 AM   #84
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Yes. I've been having a lot of trouble. While I've cut back quite a bit(down to 1-3 per day), I am happy I'm able to control my urge a little more on the weekends. While out with friends, drinking and smoking some dope, it's hard to not have one, but on Fridays when I go to the arcade, I'd have up to like 10 cigarettes throughout the night. My first Friday, I actually went without a single cigarette at the bar and I was ok. I wish I can say the same of this past Friday, but unfortunately I had 3. The last one I didn't finish though, it made me feel awful.

I'm not giving up. I noticed I was able to handle myself well even after smoking weed.....which is why I smoke cigarettes in the first place. I feel like I need to 'cover up', my scent and after like 10 years, it's become more than that.

Honestly, after going a few days then lighting up a cigarette, I felt guilty and ashamed to post in this thread.

I'm sorry.

Im glad you finally self reflected and noticed that. Weed isn't why you smoke tobacco. No one smokes cigarettes for ten years tangentially. I think even a lot of "blunt" smokers don't realize they have really just become tobacco smokers.

Use that sense of shame as motivation BUT don't be hard on yourself in those instances where you fall short.

As i have been saying here all along smoking is a process and so quitting is also a process.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2016, 12:36 PM   #85
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost

I'm sorry.

Who are apologizing to? The board? Yourself? Or the Future You, who will probably want to go back in time and punch the Present You in the nuts for not quitting?
Old 05.18.2016, 01:58 PM   #86
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
the thread.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2016, 03:51 PM   #87
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
that kind of shame and guilt are for suckers man

a sense of shame is healthy and it tells you that you're not infallible. same with things like modesty.

but the shame that says that you're a piece of shit is just fucking poison and needs to be exorcised like the curse it is.

as for guilt, one thing is to know one has done wrong, but to give one's self lashes in continual punishment is what nietzsche criticized about guilt-- adding second stupidity to the first one. useless. and toxic.

anyway, quitting smoking is easy, i've done it a lot of times, etc.

so, learn from your mistakes and retool for the next time, or simply accept your human limitations with kindness and understanding.

i mean, everyone dies in the end, and being "perfect" can't save you anyway, even if it were possible. so. hm. yeah.
Old 05.18.2016, 04:42 PM   #88
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
anyway, quitting smoking is easy, i've done it a lot of times, etc.

You full of shit bastard that by definition means you never actually quit to begin with if you were smoking again #JustSaying

Old 05.18.2016, 05:03 PM   #89
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
You full of shit bastard that by definition means you never actually quit to begin with if you were smoking again #JustSaying

it's an old-as-shit joke

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/1504...g-in-the-world
Old 05.18.2016, 05:47 PM   #90
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Sorry I'm not an AARP member yet

Old 05.18.2016, 10:13 PM   #91
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
or you could just give up and continue smoking. do you really want to live that long anyway? you don't want to be old. take a trip to the convalescent home. sounds fun when your young, people taking care of you and shit but, it's a hassle and cost money. fuck that! 65 is as far as I want to go.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2016, 10:22 PM   #92
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
or you can just man up and quit and live a longer life. plus side to this is being healthier and putting up with elderly ailments like shitting in yr pants or gagging on yr on snot and, or, forgetting how to play bingo, or yr grandkids not giving a fuck about you with a black hole nostalgic less hole in yr brain, and not suffering of deadly shitty cancer.

ohh, but that deadly cancer. that's a biggie. wouldn't wish that on my worst mother in law. you may have no choice in that anyway.

either way, it's going to be fun. enjoy the ride.
Old 05.18.2016, 10:29 PM   #93
pepper_green
Banned

wait! your teeth may fall out right? if so, better quit now.
Old 05.19.2016, 06:16 AM   #94
evollove
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
wait! your teeth may fall out right? if so, better quit now.

Empazema and cancers ain't no joke, but teeth/gum issues are very real consequences of smoking. Not fatal, but painful and very, very expensive to treat.
Old 05.24.2016, 09:12 AM   #95
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Hahahahaha!!!'
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2016, 09:20 AM   #96
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Empazema and cancers ain't no joke, but teeth/gum issues are very real consequences of smoking. Not fatal, but painful and very, very expensive to treat.

Very true. This is why I was so stoked that my 2/day habit was undetectable to the dentist.

Though, honestly, who am I kidding? Half measures are not going to work, and they barely constitute progress. After smoking a pack a day for nearly 15 years, bringing myself down to 2 cigs a day (PLUS the fucking 21mg patch) is not going to do jack shit for me in the long run.

I'm gonna have to give this some thought and do some soul searching. My birthday is coming up, which means — oddly enough — that even though I'm already old, apparently I'm still getting older (what's that about anyway? Talk about a raw fucking deal). I don't want to be a smoker forever.

2 cigs a day = still a smoker. Heroin addicts don't get credit for "only" shooting up twice a day, so why should I become complacent in this state of quantitative "improvement" that amounts to nothing?

Fuck me. I think you assholes have ruined my awesome "halfway there is good enough" stage of denial. Shit. I need to quit.
Old 05.24.2016, 09:25 AM   #97
Severian
invito al cielo

You know what's fucked? Before I started using the patch, I could 12-15 hours without a smoke fairly easily, especially if I was at work.

But if I forget to put on a patch, I'm screwed. I'll feel like a sociopathic zombie for the entire day. I'm slow, sluggish, irritable, and extremely anxious. I will drive home, or to the pharmacy, and get a patch on my skin as soon as I physically can, no matter how much I have on my plate at work.

Never acted like that with cigarettes.

God I love the patch.
Old 05.24.2016, 09:52 AM   #98
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
No theyre not and oral cancers and tooth rot are actually more common than lung cancer in smokers! In order it goes mouth disease, lung disease, bladder cancers (because nicotine is so rapidly metabolized that it can pool up in the urine and sit there festering and exposing bladder tissue. Indeed 2/3 of all bladder cancer is smoking related

Old 05.24.2016, 09:55 AM   #99
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
or you could just give up and continue smoking. do you really want to live that long anyway? you don't want to be old. take a trip to the convalescent home. sounds fun when your young, people taking care of you and shit but, it's a hassle and cost money. fuck that! 65 is as far as I want to go.
That is the thing though, smoking doesn't just kill you like a shotgun blast. It is a slow, debilitating, and devastating decline towards death. Its essentially a dragged out death from radiation exposure

Old 05.24.2016, 01:15 PM   #100
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I worked with a fairly heavy smoker, 54 years old, had a sore back for a while, finally quit going to the chiropractor for it, went to a regular doc, lung cancer, he was gone in 3 months.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth