Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I'm about to say 3 words that always seem to generate controversy on this forum
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.23.2010, 02:26 AM   #1
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
(ahem)

The. Smashing. Pumpkins.

I've been listening to them (by this I mean Billy Corgan, James Iha, D'Arcy Wretzky, and Jimmy Chamberlin) a lot recently, and I decided to check out the songs released so far for the 44-song Teargarden by Kaleidyscope project. My take:

"A Song for A Son": Not bad, but certainly not very good either. It sounds more like Billy Corgan singing in a classic rock cover band than anything he'd write on his own. The outro has sort of a calliope feel, which certainly doesn't help things.

"Widow Wake My Mind": BARF! Easily the worst thing ever released under the Smashing Pumpkins name, which is saying a lot considering Corgan can be VERY hit or miss at times. I first heard this on a new music radio program and hoped it was Billy guesting on someone else's track, and when I heard it was the Pumpkins, I was embarassed to have ever considered myself a fan.

"A Stitch in Time": Nice change of pace here. The electric sitar adds an interesting psychedelic twist to an otherwise folky acoustic song, but like other people have said, it could use some drums.

"Astral Planes": This one rocks more than the first three, with an almost acid garage vibe. Corgan's vocals are too dry to really fit though, and it's a bit repetitive. Cool riffs.

"Freak": Now, this is more like it! To my ears, it's the first Smashing Pumpkins song since the band's "reformation" that sounds something like a real Smashing Pumpkins song. Hell, add more guitar overdubs and reverb on the vocals and it would almost fit in on Siamese Dream, or detune it a half step and it'd fit on Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness! Best of the bunch so far.

Overall: Billy Corgan has said that the purpose of releasing every song for the Teargarden by Kaleidyscope project is for fans to hear the album as it's being made, and that the best of the 44 songs may be compiled on a single CD. This is certainly an ambitious undertaking for a man who's always been known for veering recklessly between true artist and pretentious asshole. Personally, if we can't have a full Pumpkins reunion, then I do welcome at least a New Pumpkins album with more variety than Zeitgeist offered. That said, there is something to be said about leaving some stuff on the cutting room floor.

We're only 5 songs into this thing, so it's too early to tell, but it seems like each new release improves on the last. So while it's unlikely Corgan will match Siamese Dream or Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness again, he may come close.

Thoughts/opinions/flaming?
Old 07.23.2010, 02:44 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
My thoughts is we've had like 500 threads on this boring band and they all end up the same. "SIAMESE DREAM IS ONE OF THE BEST EVER." A bunch of people agree. Random person says "actually I don't like anything." Someone says, "THEY WERE GOOD TILL THE REUNION." Someone says, "I like them but Corgan is a dick." 4 pages of anti-Corgan rants and posts and stupid videos and pictures of him with Tila Tequila and such later, thread dies.

I think it's cool and socially acceptable to hate him, just like Bono. He's a decent guitarists, he's written and recorded literally 1100 songs and there's a few cool riffs here or there, but it just doesn't really have any relevance in my life. But eh. I'd say there'll be a few decent tracks amongst 44 on this insane album. Glad you dig it man and keep posting this stuff because I find it interesting, even if it's not something I ever want to subject my ears too!

Let the thread continue!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2010, 02:48 AM   #3
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Unfortunately true. Even then, I remember hearing about this Teargarden thing a while back. I had a pretty negative interest in it then, still do.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2010, 03:14 AM   #4
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
who's going to post the first billy corgan picture?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2010, 04:09 AM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
there are so many awesome bands in the world, and people listen to these guys. bloody hell.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2010, 12:48 PM   #7
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Better to listen to a "bad" band you really enjoy than to hate them because someone else thinks you should...
Old 07.23.2010, 01:10 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
My thoughts is we've had like 500 threads on this boring band and they all end up the same. "SIAMESE DREAM IS ONE OF THE BEST EVER." A bunch of people agree. Random person says "actually I don't like anything." Someone says, "THEY WERE GOOD TILL THE REUNION." Someone says, "I like them but Corgan is a dick." 4 pages of anti-Corgan rants and posts and stupid videos and pictures of him with Tila Tequila and such later, thread dies.

I think it's cool and socially acceptable to hate him, just like Bono. He's a decent guitarists, he's written and recorded literally 1100 songs and there's a few cool riffs here or there, but it just doesn't really have any relevance in my life. But eh. I'd say there'll be a few decent tracks amongst 44 on this insane album. Glad you dig it man and keep posting this stuff because I find it interesting, even if it's not something I ever want to subject my ears too!

Let the thread continue!

what more could possibly be said? brilliant synopsis, thats almost Days of Our Sonic Lives good..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 07.23.2010, 01:29 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

see, down syndrome is not a disability, folks can manage successful musical careers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

Old 07.23.2010, 01:41 PM   #11
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Old 07.23.2010, 01:43 PM   #12
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Old 07.23.2010, 01:45 PM   #13
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:

so thats Billy's secret, he is vaudevillian grifter!

Old 07.23.2010, 01:46 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:

I know I shouldn't be laughing so hard at this but fuck it, I am!
You Must Spread Some Reputation Around Before Giving It to Glice Again.

Old 07.23.2010, 02:03 PM   #15
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Apathy, though I feel obligated to care.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2010, 02:08 PM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Old 07.23.2010, 02:10 PM   #17
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I want to ask him if he still feels like a rat in a cage.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2010, 03:18 PM   #18
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
there's too much asshole in this thread. i'm overwhelmed
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2010, 03:43 PM   #19
00_Spool
empty page

00_Spool kicks all y'all's asses00_Spool kicks all y'all's asses00_Spool kicks all y'all's asses00_Spool kicks all y'all's asses00_Spool kicks all y'all's asses00_Spool kicks all y'all's asses00_Spool kicks all y'all's asses00_Spool kicks all y'all's asses00_Spool kicks all y'all's asses00_Spool kicks all y'all's asses00_Spool kicks all y'all's asses

"Despite all my rage, I'm still just a prat on a stage"
00_Spool is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2010, 03:47 PM   #20
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
there's too much asshole in this thread. i'm overwhelmed

ha! true! its syg what'd ya expect?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth