Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Shaggs. The Shaggs. The Shaggs. The Shaggs...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.03.2006, 04:59 PM   #1
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
...are better than whatever you're listening to. Stop listening to other things, and start listening to the Shaggs. For the love of all that is right in the world, The Shaggs people, the Shaggs.

I had assumed I'd started a similar thread previously, but it transpires I didn't. There, it's possible that you don't know about the Shaggs, which you should, because they are great.

That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2006, 05:00 PM   #2
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
My history teacher wanted to get them to play at our senior prom. Needless to say it didn't pan out.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2006, 05:03 PM   #3
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Thank you.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2006, 06:25 PM   #4
DemonBox
the end of the ugly

DemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's asses
How can I get some of their music? Their cd's are pretty hard to find where I live.
DemonBox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2006, 06:54 PM   #5
Landry
little trouble girl

Landry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's asses
"All the fat peoples want what the skinny peoples got."
Landry is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2006, 07:54 PM   #6
dntrecords
children of satan

dntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's asses
the shaggs are really good
dntrecords is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2006, 08:28 PM   #7
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
yes
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 01:37 AM   #8
cosmokramer
bad moon rising

cosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's asses
i listened to the shaggs once.
how old were members of that band? werent they like 12?
i thought i read somewhere there dad just liked how they sounded so he fronted for an afternoon in a studio or something.

cosmokramer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 01:54 AM   #9
Landry
little trouble girl

Landry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's assesLandry kicks all y'all's asses
"The idea of The Shaggs is older than the girls themselves. When the girls' father, Austin Wiggin, Jr., was young, his mother made three predictions: he would marry a strawberry blonde; he would have two sons she would not live to see; and his daughters would form a famous musical group. After the first two came true, Austin set out to make the third happen.

In the mid-1960s, Austin withdrew his daughters from school, bought them instruments, and arranged for them to receive music lessons. They named themselves "The Shaggs" after the contemporary shag hairstyle. In 1968, Austin arranged for the girls to play a regular Saturday night gig at the Fremont, New Hampshire Town Hall. The next year, the girls went into the studio and recorded their album, Philosophy of the World. It is clear from the sound that the band was not ready to capture their performance on tape, but Austin persisted.

In fact, listening to the record, the band seems to have no sense of melody, harmony, or rhythm. It is as though the drums were recorded in a separate room from the guitars and neither could hear what the other was doing. During the recording sessions, the band would occasionally stop playing, claiming one of them had made a mistake and that they needed to start over, leaving the sound engineers to wonder how the girls could tell.

At this point, the man who had promised to press 1,000 copies of Philosophy of the World absconded with 900 of them. The rest were circulated to New England radio stations but attracted little attention, and the girls' dreams of superstardom were dashed.

In 1975, Austin Wiggin arranged one last recording session for his daughters, but died of a heart attack, which seemed to put an end to his ambitions. However, in 1978, the group NRBQ found one of the original 1,000 copies at a Boston radio station and got their label, Rounder Records, to rerelease Philosophy of the World. They published songs from the 1975 tapes on the 1982 record Shaggs' Own Thing, but its closer approximation to conventional music causes some to disregard this collection. In 1988 Dorothy Wiggin rediscovered the lost masters of Philosophy of the World in a closet; these and Shaggs' Own Thing were remastered and released on an eponymous CD. RCA Victor also released Philosophy of the World on CD in 1999, whereupon it was hailed as something of an avant-garde cult classic.

In 2000, NRBQ celebrated their thirtieth anniversary with a concert in New York City; their opening act was The Shaggs. Helen, who had been suffering from depression for years, declined to attend, so NRBQ's drummer was faced with the challenging task of attempting to play Helen's parts.

That same year, Artisan Entertainment bought the movie rights to the band's story. A stage musical about The Shaggs, Philosophy of the World by librettist/lyricist Joy Gregory, composer/lyricist Gunnar Madsen, and co-conceiver/director John Langs, opened at the prestigious John Anson Ford Theatre in Los Angeles in November 2003. It was later presented at the New York Musical Theatre Festival in September 2005."

Landry is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 02:16 AM   #10
cosmokramer
bad moon rising

cosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's assescosmokramer kicks all y'all's asses
thats cool
really cool

cosmokramer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 12:23 PM   #11
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
they're not really THAT great. one of the shaggs sent me an email once.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 12:42 PM   #12
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
the shaggs are the best thing to happen to music ever.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 01:05 PM   #13
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
I heard 30 second clips of about 6 of their songs, and that was enough. Best thing to happen to music my ASS!

Stupidest thing I have ever heard (not the funny stupid, the bad stupid).

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 01:16 PM   #14
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
I heard 30 second clips of about 6 of their songs, and that was enough. Best thing to happen to music my ASS!

Stupidest thing I have ever heard (not the funny stupid, the bad stupid).

someone doesnt have a sense of humour.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 01:45 PM   #15
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
meh. I personally don't consider it something I would listen to in my spare time.

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 04:18 PM   #16
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
this is so funny to listen to. it's like they wrote regular pop songs, and then they said, "play em really disjointed and shitty!"
Old 09.04.2006, 04:20 PM   #17
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
whatever you say.
Old 09.04.2006, 04:21 PM   #18
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
and there's a myspace with some of their songs
http://www.myspace.com/itstheshaggs
Old 09.04.2006, 08:32 PM   #19
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i can understand how some people might not be able to grasp the beauty of their music. give it a few years, youngsters.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 08:33 PM   #20
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
what? lol

you can only enjoy the shaggs if your'e a fucking freak

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth