Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth In The 00s
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.07.2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Now that the decade is coming to a close, and we naturally think in terms of decades (the 80s was this, the 90s was that, etc), how about we summarize the work of Sonic Youth in this decade?

Not even touching on SYR releases, I have to say that the quintet of NYCGF, Murray St, Sonic Nurse, Rather Ripped and Eternal = one muthafucken thrilling collection of musical styles and creations, and imho, the 90s and 80s quintets (very cool that each decade has a quintet.....I'm looking at you Rolling Stones, lazy c***s) as great as they are, are not quite as awesome and consistently engaging.

Discuss.
Old 12.07.2009, 01:11 PM   #2
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
I can't really explain why, but with each new record I more and more lose interest in Sonic Youth.
It's not that they're bad records, it's just that somehow they don't function for me. I hardly listen to any of the records you listed above, except for NYCG&F.
Don't get me wrong, they're still a special band for me, but even the last time I saw them live, i walked out after about half of the set.
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2009, 01:53 PM   #3
frades
children of satan

frades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's asses
I'm very satisfied with this decade, especially because live recordings were as good as albums.
frades is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Skuj, maybe you (and I) are just growing older with the sonic youth, but there is no way that their output currently defeats the 80's output. confusion is Sex kills everything they have done this decade. Having said that, it still amazes me how sonic uyouth continue to put out collections of songs that are well worth the purchase and the time to listen and get to know them.

NYCG&F I find a hit or miss collection of half finished trying-too-hard-to-be-artsy tunes. the songs I love on it I really REALLY LOVE though.

Murray Street is a fine album but to me gets a bit duller, a bit more bland, every time i hear it. Sounds like Sonic Youth writing songs in a recliner in their big ass house with delicious food and drink handy and not much to actually engage their RAWK souls.

Sonic Nurse I LOVE. I love it from the first to the last. I think it is their best album this decade (eternal is catching up as I listen to it more and more), has the most energizing songs, and the best cover art. I Love You Golden Blue is their most heartbreakingly beautiful song in years. New Hampshire rules too.

Rather Ripped I like a lot too. I know it is not in line with my love of the harsh noise like BMR and CIS but I think, for what it is, a collection of SONGS, it is very good. I like Incinerate more and more, and only has one outright stinker (Sleeping Around.)

The Eternal I loved from the get-go, and it is still growing on me more and more.
Old 12.07.2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
"Murray Street" is the only 00s album of theirs I've listened to. It was their 90s output I listened to the most.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2009, 03:29 PM   #6
dasx
children of satan

dasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's asses
It's great that there's a band who still is trying to evolve and makes new songs and albums after 30 years. This decade has been fairly good. Sonic Nurse is definitely in my TOP5 list of all SY-albums.
dasx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 02:07 AM   #7
sy2004
stalker

sy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's asses
Sticking to old greatness as Sister & DDN means you're getting faster old than SY really is. Off course some older stuff is from another level than the latest 3-4 releases but they are still very good records in their own way. Imo, SY may go on as long as possible.

sy2004 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 02:09 AM   #8
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
summarize the work of Sonic Youth in this decade
boring except for sonic nurse
Old 12.08.2009, 04:02 AM   #9
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
S
Murray Street is a fine album but to me gets a bit duller, a bit more bland, every time i hear it. Sounds like Sonic Youth writing songs in a recliner in their big ass house with delicious food and drink handy and not much to actually engage their RAWK souls.

yes but you gotta love rain on tin--- that's a perfect song except for the first few seconds of nasal thruston. but still perfect.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 11:34 AM   #10
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yes but you gotta love rain on tin--- that's a perfect song except for the first few seconds of nasal thruston. but still perfect.

Oh Man I adore Rain On Tin. They dispense with the vocals early on, then do that guitarchitecture thing that goes up to 11. I always imagine Beavis and Buthhead on this one, head banging, hands in the air, peace signs....
Old 12.08.2009, 12:01 PM   #11
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan
boring except for sonic nurse

YO face!

This decade sounds just as good at teh 80's and a little better than teh 90's.

Sy rocks no matta wut.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 12:01 PM   #12
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
NYC G&F - Incredible and very beautiful. Not perfect all the way through, but it rocks.

Murray Street - The best album of the 00's. Nuff' said.

Sonic Nurse - Another amazing one.

Rather Ripped - Well, yes, it's a quite okay collection of pop songs. But it's not very exciting with the exception of Pink Steam. Actually, it's the worst album they've done since fucking Experimental Jet Set.

The Eternal - A lot better than Rather Ripped with some amazing songs, but there are also some songs which really are bad. But overall, it's a fun album.

So, overall, I'm impressed by their 00's output and would probably say that it's better than their 90's output. They continue to amaze me, at least once in a while.
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 12:20 PM   #13
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i loved ghosts and flowers, murray street was ok but everything after that as official releases are pretty bad. its like they do what they want on the syr's or live solo things but the sonic youth stuff is just very very tame and safe. not to my taste at all.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 12:41 PM   #14
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
NYCG&F - certainly has grown on me a helluvalot. wonderful atmosphere to this. probably the last "inventive"-sounding thing they've done.

Murray Street - this one kinda irks me since it's always referred to as a "return-to-form" album when i never thought SY really went anywhere. still, great album, but i'm not sure why it stands so highly above the rest according to a lot of folks.

Sonic Nurse - great. this is the album that got me into SY after being put off by them for a while. probably would be in my top five SY albums if it weren't for "kim gordon and the arthur doyle hand cream."

Rather Ripped - nowhere near as bad as people on here say, but i'm not opening that debate again. a few clunkers (maybe just "lights out" and "sleeping around"), but the rest are all good/great imo.

The Eternal - incredibly solid album front-to-back that just keeps getting better for me with repeated listens. could see an argument for it being the best SY album this decade.

perhaps SY's more "vital" days are behind them and perhaps they aren't doing anything new, but neither are motorhead or the fall and they're still great. bands like this shouldn't be allowed to make albums this good so late in their careers, honestly. very good decade overall. here's hoping to an equally great, if not better, 2010s!

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 12:57 PM   #15
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
its all relative... the hardcore sy fanbbase is aging as gracefully as the band.... sy will never cut another inhuman or another confusion nor should they..it would be fucking stupid for them to write another confusion or bad moon..they are over that period of their career and now, in their early mid 50s are playing some of the most beautifully penned songs they have ever done...antenna has to be one of ts finest hours.....

who are we to complain..... sy have given us jioy since 1981 and they dont look like stopping for now. rr was a poor album but a poor sy album is 10 times better than 75% of all other albums put out..

toot on sy toot on!
Old 12.08.2009, 12:58 PM   #16
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
may i add sparks into the list of bands who have carried on with such amazing brillinace..

sy sparks the fall! nuff said!
Old 12.08.2009, 01:08 PM   #17
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
and also the fact (maybe off point), that I get to know very interesting people, music and stuff throughout them....even in this decade.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 03:17 PM   #18
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

sy are a gateway band! ha!!!
Old 12.08.2009, 03:23 PM   #19
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
I love LOVE LOVE RAIN ON TIN
Old 12.08.2009, 03:49 PM   #20
lo-fi suicide
bad moon rising

lo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asses
in this decade i like all of SY albums, but only NYCG&F and Murray Street i love equally with Washing Machine, Sister, Daydream Nation or Dirty

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth