Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page closer to '...' (about new album)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.08.2008, 04:51 PM   #21
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
every song should be a remix of confusion is next. you know, like the lee mix, the steve mix and so on...... then the grand finale would be a fatboy slim mix and that'll be their biggest hit on mtv and the radio. well it would be if this was still 1998.
replace "fatboy slim" by "justice" and you're in 2008
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2008, 05:19 PM   #22
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I hope they go a completely new direction on this next album.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 06:28 AM   #23
Kosako
children of satan

Kosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's asses
I prefer them to get something from "genetic", which is a powerfull song... and also something from "tom violence" and "schizophrenia"
Kosako is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 06:29 AM   #24
Kosako
children of satan

Kosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's asses
Ah, and more songs by Lee... he has such a beautiful tone of voice.
Kosako is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 06:36 AM   #25
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
It's gonna be called "We liek mudkipz"
Sorry guys
Old 11.10.2008, 07:16 AM   #26
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
I hope they go a completely new direction on this next album.
this
Old 11.10.2008, 07:48 AM   #27
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses

11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 07:58 AM   #28
sarramkrop

It should be produced by The Elephant Orchestra.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 12:24 PM   #29
SYRFox
invito al cielo

It should be produced by Timbaland
Old 11.10.2008, 12:44 PM   #30
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to hear them going back to their roots. Like Confusion is Sex, Bad Moon Rising or EVOL. Bring the dark noise back!
Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 01:58 PM   #31
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosako
I prefer them to get something from "genetic", which is a powerfull song... and also something from "tom violence" and "schizophrenia"

"Genetic" has got to be one of my all-time favorite songs. "Schizophrenia" as well.

I'm not sure what I want in a new SY release, just as long as it's Sonic Youth.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 02:04 PM   #32
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
They should invite Ann Demaris back to play keyboards for this album.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2008, 02:08 AM   #33
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's highly unlikely they would go back to the early '80s sound(s), because they are not those people anymore. I wouldn't want them to pretend to be in their late 20s and early 30s, because they aren't and it would be embarrassing for them and for us.

That doesn't mean they can't rock, or be noisy, but it does mean they can't hide that they know a hell of a lot more about musicianship than they did then. Also their "the world is going to end soon" angst (which Thurston was pretty seriously vocal about in '84-'85) has been replaced by "the kids are going to be in college soon..." Personally, I think that both world perspectives can produce interesting art, but the one can't pretend to be the other without seeming like Metallica's Some Kind of Monster. Thankfully SY have always spared us those sort of mid-life crises.

I don't want them to recreate any album from their past. If there's a moment in recorded history I'd like to see replicated, it would be when they made Washing Machine.

Not that I want the new album to be another Washing Machine, I just want them to break free and be Sonic Youth like they did then. That album came on the heels of their most obvious attempts to "make it" in the "alternative rock" world (i.e. Dirty and EJST&NS), and while I don't hate those records I do hear the concessions to MTV 120 Minutes and indie rock cred all over them. Washing Machine is awesome because they finally seemed to realize that they weren't going to follow Nirvana to the charts. So they might as well write songs as long or as noisy as they felt like. Of course they were still totally melodic and catchy through most of the record, but there is this overwhelming sense of freedom that there hadn't been at those levels since the signed to DGC.

So now they've left the majors all together, and they are primed for freedom again. I don't want to begin to tell them how that freedom should be. Sure, I hope it's considerably edgier than Rather Ripped. I even think it will be, because why the hell wouldn't it? But I don't want them to rewrite "Death Valley '69" I want the new rock!
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2008, 03:06 AM   #34
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I think it's highly unlikely they would go back to the early '80s sound(s), because they are not those people anymore. I wouldn't want them to pretend to be in their late 20s and early 30s, because they aren't and it would be embarrassing for them and for us.

That doesn't mean they can't rock, or be noisy, but it does mean they can't hide that they know a hell of a lot more about musicianship than they did then. Also their "the world is going to end soon" angst (which Thurston was pretty seriously vocal about in '84-'85) has been replaced by "the kids are going to be in college soon..." Personally, I think that both world perspectives can produce interesting art, but the one can't pretend to be the other without seeming like Metallica's Some Kind of Monster. Thankfully SY have always spared us those sort of mid-life crises.

I don't want them to recreate any album from their past. If there's a moment in recorded history I'd like to see replicated, it would be when they made Washing Machine.

Not that I want the new album to be another Washing Machine, I just want them to break free and be Sonic Youth like they did then. That album came on the heels of their most obvious attempts to "make it" in the "alternative rock" world (i.e. Dirty and EJST&NS), and while I don't hate those records I do hear the concessions to MTV 120 Minutes and indie rock cred all over them. Washing Machine is awesome because they finally seemed to realize that they weren't going to follow Nirvana to the charts. So they might as well write songs as long or as noisy as they felt like. Of course they were still totally melodic and catchy through most of the record, but there is this overwhelming sense of freedom that there hadn't been at those levels since the signed to DGC.

So now they've left the majors all together, and they are primed for freedom again. I don't want to begin to tell them how that freedom should be. Sure, I hope it's considerably edgier than Rather Ripped. I even think it will be, because why the hell wouldn't it? But I don't want them to rewrite "Death Valley '69" I want the new rock!

what he said.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2008, 04:08 AM   #35
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
i agree..

but,
once SY started to split their energy between publishing two seperate catalogues, the SYR and geffen outputs, their albums became more "refined" in a sense..
SYR records retained the experimental drive, and that same drive decreased in their mainstream - i didn't just use that word! - albums..

so, okay, we like the 21st century SY, but everyone misses the old essense that blew us away..

textures and dissonance got replaced by melodies and harmony in the geffen records..
dissonant melodies of 80s work got replaced by overworked textures in the SYR work..

i suppose i'm not alone here?

i suppose the new album will be a continuation of MS, SN and RR..

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2008, 04:17 AM   #36
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

exactly.
Old 11.11.2008, 05:13 AM   #37
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Something they haven't done before.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2008, 03:20 PM   #38
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to see some really long songs and some really short songs, songs without structure, maybe some instrumentals, vocals by Lee and Kim together on one track (like... I Dreamed I Dream Pt. II or something), and I'd like to hear something new. Duh.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2008, 03:39 PM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
skronk
Old 11.12.2008, 07:00 AM   #40
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

nicely put.
Thats one of the many reasons why i think Washing Machine is my favourite Sonic Youth record.
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth