Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best Album Release Annually for the Past Decade
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.26.2009, 05:47 PM   #21
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
^^ bahaha. Me likey MoAM a lot but they would hardly make it in my top ten albums of any give year.
I do love them though. But i'd prefer say Polvo.
Old 09.26.2009, 05:52 PM   #22
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
See, Polvo have always struck me as the kind of shit that SY fans (who largely have shit for ears) listen to, shitly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2009, 05:57 PM   #23
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
yeah well it's kind of true really.
i do like their STYLE though and the interweaving guitars.
Well i just love all their albums actually, even was heavily into the -mostly hated - "Shapes". Own the nice sexy wax, it's really very sexy.
At this point, i want to quote Batreleaser : "Whatevz"
Old 09.26.2009, 06:28 PM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I think Polvo were brilliant at times, I like how they managed to make something so well structured and melodic out of discordance. In a way, they're like a less interesting, more modern, SY-influenced Magic Band. For true melodic, twisted noise rock genius though, they're definitely no TFUL # 282...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2009, 06:43 PM   #25
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
TFUL #282 are definitely in the top 5 bands ever to grace my ears.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2009, 06:56 PM   #26
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
no doubt.

Old 09.26.2009, 07:32 PM   #27
Sonic Youth Gossip
stalker

Sonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth Gossip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
white people like the 80s because it was the last time pop music wasn't infused with hip-hop and r+b

Sonic Youth Gossip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2009, 10:19 PM   #28
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
See, Polvo have always struck me as the kind of shit that SY fans (who largely have shit for ears) listen to, shitly.

They're catchy, they're weird, they've got some hard-rocking moments, and they don't really sound like anyone else. That makes them unique and special to a lot of people. There are very few original bands that combine those elements that we all love so much. So they get attention.

I like all their LPs and EPs, though only a few of them keep my interest when I listen to them. The others hold my interest for a song or two and then kind of go into background music.

I was really big on them for the past year and a half, but my interest has kind of waned a bit and other bands have moved ahead of them.

I realize in the 90s quirky indie bands were a dime-a-dozen. Quirky indie was the garage rock of the time. Someday someone will make a comp called Grains filled with Polvo, Archers of Loaf, Pavement, Pixies, Breeders, Guided By Voices, Built to Spill, Superchunk, etc. And 50 years from now, someone will try their damnedest to find that 7" of Web in Front in some flea market.

Still, there were a few garage rock bands that are worth listening to more than just their hits, and I'd say the same thing about those 90s bands, and I'd include Polvo in that group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Man Or Astroman do indeed rule, but EEVIAC is my least favorite album by them (you know, actual album, not one of their random tour only discs of nothing but spaceship sound effects). Actually, their peel sessions are my favorite thing they did, along with EXPERIMENT ZERO. I wonder what happened to those dudes... Servotron and Causey Way ruled, and then they all just kinda disappeared.

Eeviac and Spectrum of an Infinite Scale are the two albums that got me into Man or Astro-man? Really the first stuff of theirs I was exposed to. So it's got a special place in my heart, though I love everything.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2009, 10:29 PM   #29
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Nothing personal, I just tend to want to kick Americans.

I don't blame you. A whole country of people that don't give a shit about aesthetics or architecture.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2009, 07:52 PM   #30
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
1999:

The only dead tie. Simply can't choose between Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun and MF Doom - Operation Doomsday (close second Blur - 13)

2000:

Radiohead - Kid A (close seconds were Boris - Flood and Deltron 3030)

2001:

Endless Summer - Fennesz (close seconds Jay-Z - Blueprint, Radiohead - Amnesiac and Fugazi - The Argument)

2002:

Sonic Youth - Murray Street (close seconds Beck - Sea Change and Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot)

2003:

King Geedorah - Take Me To Your Leader

2004:

Wilco - A Ghost Is Born (close seconds Madvillainy and Arcade Fire - Funeral)

2005:

Kanye West - Late Registration

2006:

J Dilla - Donuts (although if we're talking best new release, there's no question that the answer is the Table Of The Elements John Cale - New York in the 60s box set, although as the title clearly demonstrates, that doesn't really count)

2007:

Jay-Z - American Gangster (close seconds Omar Souleyman - Highway to Hassake and Deerhunter Cryptograms)

2008:

TV On The Radio - Dear Science (close seconds Atlas Sound - Let The Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel and Birchville Cat Motel - Gunpowder Temple of Heaven)

2009:

DOOM - Born Like this

This was harder than I expected actually. It also drove home a few key points, namely that hip-hop really dominated my tastes this decade, perhaps more than was expected, and that in contrast their really wasn't nearly as much avant-garde or noisey stuff that I truly loved this time around as their would be in other time periods. I guess because this was the decade when my musical consciousness was really formed, I just have a lot more affinity with it's popular stuff than I do for other decades. Oh, and that the last 10 years were all about the Doom love for me...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2009, 03:01 AM   #31
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Endless Summer - Fennesz

Fuck yeah.

Old 09.29.2009, 04:09 PM   #32
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

You know, I always thought that about Blonde Redhead, gave them a number of listens and never got into them and even disliked them, but then one day a while back I randomly decided to listen to their first record and was extremely impressed. Since then I've slowly been buying their stuff and enjoying it.

Polvo just kickass, plain and simple. Can never get enough of them!

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2009, 03:21 PM   #33
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
Let's see here...

1999: Mr. Bungle - California or perhaps Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun

2000: Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Sunset Mission or Boris - Flood

2001: Fantômas - Director's Cut

2002: Sonic Youth - Murray Street

2003: Boris - At Last: Feedbacker

2004: Secret Chiefs 3 - Book of Horizons or Madvillain - Madvillainy

2005: Coil - The Ape of Naples or Boris - Pink

2006: Scott Walker - The Drift

2007: Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam

2008: Have A Nice Life - Deathconsciousness
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2009, 03:26 PM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Great list, fucking Bohren & Der Club of Gore and Secret Chiefs 3, whoo!

(didn't really get into that Have a Nice Life record though it certainly was ambitious, wasn't it?)

Old 10.01.2009, 03:37 PM   #35
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
(didn't really get into that Have a Nice Life record though it certainly was ambitious, wasn't it?)

Oh yes, it certainly was. I really wish that I had bought the CD from them when the chance was still there, to get that book or whatever that followed that seemed to be very ambitious.

Anyway, I love the sound and the ideas of the record. The mix of post-punk, shoegaze and noise maybe isn't very original in itself, but the way they managed to do it and to create something so dark and gloomy, I love it! The ending track Earthmover is orgasmic.
Old 10.01.2009, 03:42 PM   #36
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Oh, don't get me wrong, there's songs on it I absolutely love but the record as a whole is just too much for me, haha. They already have a new one, I think.

Old 10.01.2009, 03:50 PM   #37
DanielCarlson
children of satan

They have a new one? Oh shit, nice, didn't know about that. I'm gonna check it out right away.
Old 12.31.2009, 10:22 PM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

YAY

Old 12.31.2009, 11:19 PM   #39
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
2000: Rowland S. Howard - Teenage Snuff Film
2001: Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
2002:
2003: Boris - Feedbacker
2004:
2005:
2006:
2007: Ed Kuepper - Jean Lee and the Yellow Dog
2008: Boris - Smile
2009: Rowland S. Howard - Pop Crimes
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2010, 12:53 PM   #40
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
i see that DatM is the only person to figure out that decades only have ten years.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth