Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Steampunk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.01.2012, 04:48 PM   #1
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Please recommend me some classic steampunk literature.

I'm not interested in fashion or dressing up like a Victorian chimney-sweep. I just want recommendations for good, high quality reads that define the genre.

I find it's all over the place in current science fiction, that that I've read little of it.

I almost finished Stephen Hunt's Court of the Air, but something about it bored the shit out of me and I couldn't put it into context. That was before I was really aware of the steampunk theme though.

So, any steampunk novels you can direct me towards? New or old releases.

FYI: I have of course already read Jules Verne and Wells, so let's focus on more contemporary works. Things that came out after the term was coined. Currently looking at Cherie Priest. She's from Seattle and is supposed to be good.

Thanks!
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2012, 06:56 PM   #2
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
What makes you think this is the right place to ask for accurate advice on literature? Does something here indicates that there might be experts on steampunk around here (which doesn't mean we people here are ignorant, but rather that this is mostly a place interesting for other reasons, kudos for trying to spark some conversation about something [sort of silly but] a bit different, though)? Having said that, maybe you'd like to check out an already existing thread about "cyberpunk", even though it wouldn't lead you to find what you are looking for (something called wikipedia entry could be more useful for that), but it still might be entertaining:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=36074

...And, oh fuck, since the thread is already here, I'll mention (in case it has escaped you in your quest) that William Gibson & Bruce Sterling's "The Difference Engine" is supposed to be considered an obligatory read, and responsible in some sense for spreading the term around, so maybe take that as a suggestion to check that out next. It's good (I think) and it has been recognized for its merits.

Last thing related with this concept that I found slightly interesting was the "Steampunk" comic-book series by Joe Kelly & Chris Bachalo: "Catechism", "Manimatron", and "Drama Obscura"; but it was especially due in great part to the highly intricate and detailed graphic work by Bachalo rather than the context, merits, and development of the story. Mentioning this just in case you might wanna check out the comic books, too (there are other, better things to check out in this sense as well).

I think people like Dead-Air and floatingslowly know more about science fiction and might be a lot more familiar with this genre than some others do (myself included, of course), so I'm now interested in seeing where this thread goes, although I'm almost sure it will be ridiculous and funny pretty soon rather than informative. Maybe if you had asked in regards to scatology, you might have been spot-on and very lucky you did that in this place.
Old 01.01.2012, 07:47 PM   #3
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I wasn't impressed with The Difference Engine despite the fact that it's as iconic to steampunk as Neuromancer is to the cyber variety.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2012, 09:03 PM   #4
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
What makes you think this is the right place to ask for accurate advice on literature? Does something here indicates that there might be experts on steampunk around here (which doesn't mean we people here are ignorant, but rather that this is mostly a place interesting for other reasons, kudos for trying to spark some conversation about something [sort of silly but] a bit different, though)? Having said that, maybe you'd like to check out an already existing thread about "cyberpunk", even though it wouldn't lead you to find what you are looking for (something called wikipedia entry could be more useful for that), but it still might be entertaining:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=36074

...And, oh fuck, since the thread is already here, I'll mention (in case it has escaped you in your quest) that William Gibson & Bruce Sterling's "The Difference Engine" is supposed to be considered an obligatory read, and responsible in some sense for spreading the term around, so maybe take that as a suggestion to check that out next. It's good (I think) and it has been recognized for its merits.

Last thing related with this concept that I found slightly interesting was the "Steampunk" comic-book series by Joe Kelly & Chris Bachalo: "Catechism", "Manimatron", and "Drama Obscura"; but it was especially due in great part to the highly intricate and detailed graphic work by Bachalo rather than the context, merits, and development of the story. Mentioning this just in case you might wanna check out the comic books, too (there are other, better things to check out in this sense as well).

I think people like Dead-Air and floatingslowly know more about science fiction and might be a lot more familiar with this genre than some others do (myself included, of course), so I'm now interested in seeing where this thread goes, although I'm almost sure it will be ridiculous and funny pretty soon rather than informative. Maybe if you had asked in regards to scatology, you might have been spot-on and very lucky you did that in this place.

Of course I've consulted Wiki on the subject. It's just gathering data from multiple sources. Why did I ask here? Because I post here... I don't post anywhere else, and I am already the sci-fi geek among my friends. I'm just asking around, not expecting much, but figuring "what the fuck?". It took all of a minute to inquire here, and it has already yielded results I hadn't though of or encountered before.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've read Gibson before, as many here probably have, and I'll check that book out asap.

Just curious as to why you're so curious about finding a random topic in a forum designed for random topics. Is this in any way more abnormal than any other topic?

And I didn't ask about or refer to "cyberpunk" because it's not what I want to know about. Simple.

Anyway, thanks for the assistance. I appreciate it. I read a lot of fantasy and some sci-fi, but have just never gotten around to investigating this subgenre. However, i'm finding that many books I've read (like Verne, Wells, the Prestige, etc.) are considered "steampunk", whether I knew it or not, so it may be I know more than I think I do. Besides, this is specifically about SP literature. I've seen movies and read comics in the area before. I'm looking for books right now.
Old 01.01.2012, 11:58 PM   #5
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I love William Gibson's short story 'The Gernsback Continuum', in his book Burning Chrome, which seem to be dealing with similar ideas, albeit from a slightly different perspective. Of all the Gibson stuff I've read, including his novels, it's probably my favourite.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2012, 01:02 AM   #6
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
If you are looking for "classic" steampunk, the Edgar Rice Burroughs Barsoom series is "ok" and I'm sure given their age, they are available for free over the web.

I think for me, steampunk is more fun too look at than to read.
Old 01.02.2012, 01:04 AM   #7
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

My god i hate this phone.
Old 01.02.2012, 01:08 AM   #8
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Also, most things written to BE steampunk suck fucks.
Old 01.02.2012, 08:38 PM   #9
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Of course I've consulted Wiki on the subject. It's just gathering data from multiple sources. Why did I ask here? Because I post here... I don't post anywhere else, and I am already the sci-fi geek among my friends. I'm just asking around, not expecting much, but figuring "what the fuck?". It took all of a minute to inquire here, and it has already yielded results I hadn't though of or encountered before.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've read Gibson before, as many here probably have, and I'll check that book out asap.

Just curious as to why you're so curious about finding a random topic in a forum designed for random topics. Is this in any way more abnormal than any other topic?

And I didn't ask about or refer to "cyberpunk" because it's not what I want to know about. Simple.

Anyway, thanks for the assistance. I appreciate it. I read a lot of fantasy and some sci-fi, but have just never gotten around to investigating this subgenre. However, i'm finding that many books I've read (like Verne, Wells, the Prestige, etc.) are considered "steampunk", whether I knew it or not, so it may be I know more than I think I do. Besides, this is specifically about SP literature. I've seen movies and read comics in the area before. I'm looking for books right now.

Considering wikipedia as only "a gathering of data from multiple sources" might imply you could find some quick references that would lead you on your way to find what you want, in a much faster and efficient way that you would do in a forum which main intent and aspiration is to be the ultimate "soap opera" on the internet or some such shit, according to my own limited and somewhat retarded perception anyway. I am not exactly looking for any confrontation nor against any kind of thread whatsoever, that was just my way of expressing how absurd I do think it is to ask for something in a place with more focus on other themes these days, especially because information is vast, and easy to find, and not exactly prominent in this board if your intent is actually to immerse a little bit deeply in such a branch of art and entertainment. That would be like saying I am interested in quantum physics, and live in a piss-awful neighborhood, but since I'm mostly comfortable with my surroundings and I'm too lazy to go to a library, I reckon I'll just ask that old stinky homeless on the streets (no offense to any of you guys, ha ha). That old bum might be a fucking mastermind able to provide me with the gospel truth on the matter. Maybe your interest is not so serious, though.

Having said that shit, I'm glad you are able to find something useful in this thread (I did too). Even though I reckon I come across as bitter, and I'm really thinking I should have been wiser and avoid posting a mess like this, I do see a bunch of reason in what floatingslowly and demonrail666 have mentioned up to this point and I'm in agreement with their statements even if they seem vaguely contradictory to each other...

Also, my mention of "cyber-punk" was just to acknowledge a knot between the two sub-genres, and just in the same sense of my mention of "The Difference Engine" and also the comic books on the subject, it does imply it might be interesting to explore the forest so to speak, and not only an specific tree. Nothing more than that to it.

Blah, blah. Whatever.
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2012, 09:20 PM   #10
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
Considering wikipedia as only "a gathering of data from multiple sources" might imply you could find some quick references that would lead you on your way to find what you want, in a much faster and efficient way that you would do in a forum which main intent and aspiration is to be the ultimate "soap opera" on the internet or some such shit, according to my own limited and somewhat retarded perception anyway. I am not exactly looking for any confrontation nor against any kind of thread whatsoever, that was just my way of expressing how absurd I do think it is to ask for something in a place with more focus on other themes these days, especially because information is vast, and easy to find, and not exactly prominent in this board if your intent is actually to immerse a little bit deeply in such a branch of art and entertainment. That would be like saying I am interested in quantum physics, and live in a piss-awful neighborhood, but since I'm mostly comfortable with my surroundings and I'm too lazy to go to a library, I reckon I'll just ask that old stinky homeless on the streets (no offense to any of you guys, ha ha). That old bum might be a fucking mastermind able to provide me with the gospel truth on the matter. Maybe your interest is not so serious, though.

Having said that shit, I'm glad you are able to find something useful in this thread (I did too). Even though I reckon I come across as bitter, and I'm really thinking I should have been wiser and avoid posting a mess like this, I do see a bunch of reason in what floatingslowly and demonrail666 have mentioned up to this point and I'm in agreement with their statements even if they seem vaguely contradictory to each other...

Also, my mention of "cyber-punk" was just to acknowledge a knot between the two sub-genres, and just in the same sense of my mention of "The Difference Engine" and also the comic books on the subject, it does imply it might be interesting to explore the forest so to speak, and not only an specific tree. Nothing more than that to it.

Blah, blah. Whatever.

I've done wiki and the library. I guess I'm just looking for a second opinion from someone I trust (even if it's only a little bit )

Basically, I work all day, mostly with condescending over-quailfied but under-educated chauvinistic assholes, and when I'm not working I'm thinking about work. This is an easy access sounding board for someone like me who is too damn busy.
Old 01.02.2012, 09:35 PM   #11
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

Fair enough. Good luck on your quest.
Old 01.03.2012, 12:47 AM   #12
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

I don't think I was being contradictory. The story demonrail mentioned is awesome in that it does retroscifi in a way similar to steampunk without falling for the same ol Victorian take on science.

Burroughs can be boring too. I prefer the Martian Chronicals to Barsoom.. although when I.get. myown my aphid farm, it will be called The Bar Soom.Ranch...

Fu kind phone. Is on.the.period. fuckibg..dammit..
Old 01.03.2012, 02:23 AM   #13
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

I actually said that in regards to this post of yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
Also, most things written to BE steampunk suck fucks.

Although of course the rest is true as well, and you just gave a good explanation as to why even if your phone ain't the most cooperative device, or is it your CPU what's failing tonight?

Then again, my mind is warped. I might have twisted somehow the meaning of your words.
Old 01.03.2012, 08:57 AM   #14
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Anything by Jules Verne.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2012, 09:16 AM   #15
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
Anything by Jules Verne.
A great example.

Not enough people cosplay as the Nautilus.

Cuckoo g phone.

Fucking not. Cookoo g. Wtf
Old 01.03.2012, 12:12 PM   #16
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
The initial wave of literary "Steampunk" in my mind was led by Paul DiFilippo but was preceeded by some books by James Blaylock,Tim Powers and KW Jeter. (Tim Powers (The Anubis Gates, 1983); James Blaylock (Homunculus, 1986); and Jeter (Morlock Night, 1979, and Infernal Devices, 1987)). These are all fun books and mostly out of print. I happen to be selling off reading copies of most of these, maybe I'll spam the list...
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2012, 01:24 PM   #17
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Michael Moorcock wrote a steampunk trilogy known collectively as "A Nomad of the Time Streams".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Warlord_of_the_Air

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Land_Leviathan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Steel_Tsar
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2012, 02:30 PM   #18
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I know this is really a thread about literature, but the movie and TV series Wild Wild West seems to fit quite neatly into the Steampunk genre. Also, the movie version of Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentleman. And while it doesn't really qualify as a whole, some scenes in David Lynch's Dune film might also be seen as being a bit Steampunk-ish.

Also the Final Fantasy games get quite steampunky at times:

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2012, 02:38 PM   #19
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
9! (the next FF on my list.)
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2012, 03:08 PM   #20
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
The initial wave of literary "Steampunk" in my mind was led by Paul DiFilippo but was preceeded by some books by James Blaylock,Tim Powers and KW Jeter. (Tim Powers (The Anubis Gates, 1983); James Blaylock (Homunculus, 1986); and Jeter (Morlock Night, 1979, and Infernal Devices, 1987)). These are all fun books and mostly out of print. I happen to be selling off reading copies of most of these, maybe I'll spam the list...

Out of print? You sell? Maybe I buy?

PM me.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth