Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page serious idea for a blog
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.08.2015, 12:25 PM   #41
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Okay, so apart from my misstep of trying to force my own current post-noise era tastes into the mix (blame it on the yet to be fully established parameters of this project), is my involvement in this project something that would please the court?

Because the more I think about this the more excited I get. I've got experience with blogging and working with multiple platforms, and even though my writing is atrocious, I do love noise music. In recent years I've started to gravitate more towards electronic and techno based music, but this would be a fun way to get back into the muck.

I'm kind of a sucker for organization so I am thinking about blog names (branding is so important, innit?), and layouts and narrowing the focus as much as possible. There should be at least one rule of thumb that we go by that unites all the bands we include because we all hear things differently.

Anyway, I am down for this, if there's room.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2015, 03:47 PM   #42
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

Keeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's asses
severian you were in from the first page.

been working on names and an intro.

in think the parameters are -

it has to be from the 00's
either it is a classic release already or its one that should be regarded as classic or at least very very good
either its one of the big names we've mentioned already who were important and deserve a mention
or its something thats been nearly totally forgotten
it has to at least straddle the noise/drone/weird/out whatever genres

altho its always difficult to know where those genres start and end

we chose a specific artist/release and do something in depth on them then move onto the next one

if someone is big enough we can do multiple releases provided we have enough content for two posts

any interesting ephemera, stories, interviews, pics, videos should be included

intelligent writing that understands the music and can relate it to the scene or a wider cultural context

try to historicise a bit and trace the evolution of the scene - ie. geography, labels, releases that everyone was influenced by

try to find the rarest and most forgotten stuff thats worth hearing again

try to have fun with it
Old 06.08.2015, 06:15 PM   #43
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

Keeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's asses
some suggestions for people who want to help-

can we get everyones slsk name in this thread?

dig out your old harddrives and search out old blogs like ive been doing today and see what you can find. anything good post it here
Old 06.08.2015, 07:23 PM   #44
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
^^ you may want to contact former boardie paulybee. all that i know about him is that he was an irish mailman (republic, not colony). and at some point also he had a kid (i remember him posting the news here). but man, he listened to *everything*. someone here must be able to reach him. he was the major contributor of a yahoo group i started for music swapping (long dead by now).

also, everyneurotic.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2015, 05:30 PM   #45
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Does this project still have any forward momentum?

I've been doing a lot of research, and going through my music collection exhaustively looking for old gems from little known bands and labels that I've come across in my travels.
Old 06.14.2015, 06:24 PM   #46
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

it does if you want to contribute something

i wont do this unless other people are involved and we can have some fun with it
Old 06.14.2015, 11:26 PM   #47
Severian
invito al cielo

Any thoughts on a name? I feel like a name, a platform (tumblr, blogger, Wordpress), and an intro paragraph explaining the purpose and mission is probably the starting point. If we all run off and look at our noise collections chances are there will be significant overlap, so maybe people could toss out ideas they have for things they could contribute.

Maybe one person wants to research and write about labels and imprints. Maybe someone else wants to do Número group style historical articles about forgotten artists, telling their story in serial entries.

Maybe someone wants to cover only cassettes... Know what I'm saying?

Also, if anyone has a specific region of the US that they think they'd be interested in focusing on, speak up. I'd be comfortable with Pacific Northwest shit, having spent a great deal of time in that area, and having some long lasting contacts who are still part of the greater musical ecosystem.

So... Yeah.
Old 06.15.2015, 10:31 AM   #48
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

will pm you with that stuff soon
Old 06.16.2015, 02:00 PM   #49
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

severian and me are working on this.

anyone else who wants to help come onboard

any contribution you want to make - no matter what is cool - lists of albums or whatever, just go for it

guest you should send me that stuff if you can
Old 06.16.2015, 02:08 PM   #50
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
the recorded shows off tarantula hill are now gone but you maybe could write them. they were the epicenter of the noise scene in that region before their shit burned down (literally). also afterwards for a bit.

also did you kontakt scott v? i saw his name pop up the other day. he knows people.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2015, 03:05 PM   #51
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Gimple
severian and me are working on this.

anyone else who wants to help come onboard

any contribution you want to make - no matter what is cool - lists of albums or whatever, just go for it

guest you should send me that stuff if you can

severian and I...

Best of luck, and please keep in mind that using correct grammar and writing a blog do not have to be mutually exclusive activities.
Old 06.16.2015, 05:18 PM   #52
Severian
invito al cielo

Actually, from my experience, there is almost no correlation between the two. Most bloggers are terrible writers, who can't be bothered to even run a spell-check anymore.

Even "professional" bloggers seem to routinely make spelling/punctuation errors that would horrify most high school writing teachers. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's observed this trend.

What always strikes me as very strange is that, while Salon.com or Pitchfork may publish retractions for factual errors and misinformation, they almost never edit a published piece to correct technical writing mistakes. It's like... what the-? REALLY? Lazy twat.
Old 06.17.2015, 05:42 PM   #53
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Here are two articles (with video) that some may find useful:

Noise Acts You Need To Hear Now

Helm's Guide To Loop-Based Music

Not sure why Merzbow and a few others would be included in such a list of noise artist you need to hear now. Hard for me to imagine someone being into noise and not knowing of them.

The loop-based story is my favorite and there is some fantastic stuff listed and something artist are getting away from......especially locked-groove releases.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2015, 08:56 AM   #54
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
^^luke younger is an absolute legend and the new helm record on pan is a fucking belter. merzbow remains relevant in that creatively he's not static at all, which is pretty incredible considering how limited (read: shit) someone like pharmakon is. akita is still putting out some intermittently incredible records.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth