Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Headphones vs. Speakers?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.22.2009, 09:58 PM   #1
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
I think I like headphones more. If I ever get bored of music and have been listening on speakers, whenever I put on a pair of headphones I always get interested in things all over again. There's a lot of detail that speakers sometimes don't have, and headphones are just more immersive.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2009, 09:59 PM   #2
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Headphones because I feel like I hear more since it is right inside my ear. But stereo is nice when outside painting etc.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2009, 11:10 PM   #3
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
see i think certian things sound better on certian things. soem albums are most def a "headphone masterpiece", but some things sound better on speakers. kinda like how some things just sound better on vinyl as opposed to CD. true story.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2009, 03:41 AM   #4
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
at the moment i prefer headphones. its when i listen most, and its a more private experience, which works with the stuff i'm into right now. There's a time for speakers (raving in a field for example), but i enjoy my music on my own. And headphones stops any other distractions.

for me
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2009, 04:08 AM   #5
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
line arrays
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2009, 04:15 AM   #6
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by o'connor
see i think certian things sound better on certian things. soem albums are most def a "headphone masterpiece", but some things sound better on speakers. kinda like how some things just sound better on vinyl as opposed to CD. true story.

I agree. I find some mixes much more interesting on headphones and some when listening with nice speakers..
Old 05.23.2009, 04:26 AM   #7
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, there are some "headphone albums", but generally I'd say speakers, partly just because of the way you can physically feel the music when you blast it loud. Especially with, say, some drone music, that feeling of the music just coursing through your body is very important to me. I remember listening to "Sun Blindness Music" from that John Cale "New York in the 60s" Table Of The Elements box set at high volume, and the sensation of just being completely taken over by pulsating force of the organ was one of the most transcendent musical experiences I can think of. Headphones can't give you that.

I guess my view on this is skewed by the fact that my speakers are of a much higher quality than my headphones too. Maybe if I got some really good headphones my view would change... Oh also, the fact that I live in the country, with no other houses for like 2 miles, has an effect, because I can just play music at stupid volume out of speakers at any time, and no one will complain or interrupt me. So there's no division between speakers and headphones for how "personal" they are.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2009, 05:45 AM   #8
otearai
little trouble girl

otearai kicks all y'all's assesotearai kicks all y'all's assesotearai kicks all y'all's assesotearai kicks all y'all's assesotearai kicks all y'all's assesotearai kicks all y'all's assesotearai kicks all y'all's assesotearai kicks all y'all's assesotearai kicks all y'all's assesotearai kicks all y'all's assesotearai kicks all y'all's asses
depends on the particular album and so on.
but i think i tend to get deeper into music while listening on headphones.
otearai is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2009, 07:14 AM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I very rarely listen to music on headphones. It disorientates me quite quickly. I'm all about speakers. As Herr Rail's signature says, everyone should listen to Avril's Under my Skin on headphones. It's like being rained on by a million Avril's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2009, 08:28 AM   #10
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I recently dreamt about being rained on by a million Avrils. Actually I didn't, but I wish I had.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2009, 08:35 AM   #11
al shabbray

I agree, it depends on what you are after. for just listening pleasure I would choose some really good headphones like the AKG 701. its like you ve never listened to music before.

but if you like to feel some oomph, and let the music be mirrored by the environment choose a good soundsystem. like on a concert.

2 completely different experiences from the same medium
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2009, 09:40 AM   #12
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses

chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2009, 11:40 AM   #13
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Depends on the situation, the album, and the mood.
Old 05.23.2009, 12:21 PM   #14
super_charger
bad moon rising

super_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's asses
I like headphones for being just immersed in the music and hearing all the details but I can't do it for too long as I inevitably get a headache for some reason.
super_charger is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth