Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Which SY-album are you most unfamiliar with ?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.14.2011, 08:55 PM   #81
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
The Eternal.
What a piece of shit.
RIP Sonic Youth.

Not my favorite either, but "piece of shit"???

I don't get how you could think that and be here.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 04:52 AM   #82
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Not my favorite either, but "piece of shit"???

I don't get how you could think that and be here.

I get it. Fans are going to be critical of their favorite bands. It's the ones that love everything I get concerned about. Personally, I wouldn't call the Eternal a "piece of shit", but then again it ranks no where near their best efforts. I liked it. Solid example of sonic creativity and even though I don't listen to it often, it keeps my attention when I do. There's a sonic youth album I hate (already mentioned), but ya know...I think that's cool. Even my favorite band can fail sometimes to live up to my expectations. I like this fact because it adds to that "I never know what to expect" factor, which has always been one of my favorite aspects about the Youth.
Old 10.15.2011, 03:04 PM   #83
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
I get it. Fans are going to be critical of their favorite bands. It's the ones that love everything I get concerned about. Personally, I wouldn't call the Eternal a "piece of shit", but then again it ranks no where near their best efforts. I liked it. Solid example of sonic creativity and even though I don't listen to it often, it keeps my attention when I do. There's a sonic youth album I hate (already mentioned), but ya know...I think that's cool. Even my favorite band can fail sometimes to live up to my expectations. I like this fact because it adds to that "I never know what to expect" factor, which has always been one of my favorite aspects about the Youth.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I'm not one of those types who loves ever demo, throwaway, b-side, and guest appearance just because it's sonic youth.

But I don't think any of their official studio albums are anything less than good.... most very good or brilliant, and a few are perfect. Some of the SYR material is crap, and certain songs are crap, but I can't image SY releasing a wholly bad album.
Old 10.16.2011, 01:23 AM   #84
forkimified
bad moon rising

forkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's asses
The most recent of the main albums, I'd say, is the one I'm least familiar with.
I think it's the only one I don't own in some form.
forkimified is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 01:40 AM   #85
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Typical, i go 7 or 8 years without discussing the possibility, then i mention it once and it only bloody happens. And what do i get for years of praying for bono to die? Nothing. FML

I should neg rep you for this. But I'm not, cause Im' a good guy.

EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2011, 08:48 AM   #86
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah, I suppose you're right. I'm not one of those types who loves ever demo, throwaway, b-side, and guest appearance just because it's sonic youth.

But I don't think any of their official studio albums are anything less than good.... most very good or brilliant, and a few are perfect. Some of the SYR material is crap, and certain songs are crap, but I can't image SY releasing a wholly bad album.

I agree, but I also think every SY-Syrīs I`ve heard (I still havenīt got SYR6 and SYR8, but at least in Christmas I will have them) are just great! I donīt also really need to think that everything SY has made is automatically great, but because I honestly think all those official albums and also SYR1,2,3,4,7,9 are great, then they are! I have also many favourite artists that canīt make great albums anymore and of course it can happen also to SY. But of course I hope it wonīt. But I think that "I hate Rather Ripped" is almost a religion here in the group of some SYG-members. But I have talked it a lot earlier, so I wonīt start again.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2011, 09:15 AM   #87
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I have to say there is orgasmic ending in many SY-albums. I mean the Good and the Bad, Death Valley 69, Expressway to your skull, White Cross, Trilogy, Titanium Expose, Sweet Shine, the Diamond Sea, Heather Angel (Yeah, nowdays I think so), Sympathy For the Strawberry, Peace Attack and Massage the History. Yeah, also NYC Ghost and Flowers is very orgasmic song, I hope it would have been the ending of that album.
Old 10.17.2011, 06:00 PM   #88
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Titanium Expose is a brilliant end track. I don't think it would be half as good if it were, say, in the middle of the album and Goo ended with Mary Christ.

Come to think of it, their "enders" constitute a great deal of my all-time faves.

Rather Ripped has a shitty ending, though. I mean- what were they thinking? Pink Steam and then.... some weirdass In The Fishtank cast-off that sounds like it's trying to sound like SY via 1985. I enjoy it ("OR" that is), but why end an album like that with a song like that? Seems incongruous.
Old 10.17.2011, 09:30 PM   #89
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
One song rips off a King Crimson melody

Really? what SY song? what KC song?

I only have the "In the Court of the Crimson King" LP. I got "In the Wake of Poseidon" LP, but it was boring, so I ditched it. I know some others are supposedly good. I'm more into Fripp/Eno.

btw: anyone into the weirder/dronier/experimental side of SY, should give Fripp/Eno a chance, even if you hate prog.
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2011, 12:02 PM   #90
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Titanium Expose is a brilliant end track. I don't think it would be half as good if it were, say, in the middle of the album and Goo ended with Mary Christ.

Come to think of it, their "enders" constitute a great deal of my all-time faves.

Rather Ripped has a shitty ending, though. I mean- what were they thinking? Pink Steam and then.... some weirdass In The Fishtank cast-off that sounds like it's trying to sound like SY via 1985. I enjoy it ("OR" that is), but why end an album like that with a song like that? Seems incongruous.
Yeah, Or is the weakest song in Rather Ripped. But I think it ends album quite well, itīs like the parent calming a child into sleep after great day. But it is not really orgasmic end like in many Sonic albums.
Old 10.19.2011, 12:05 PM   #91
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
Really? what SY song? what KC song?

I only have the "In the Court of the Crimson King" LP. I got "In the Wake of Poseidon" LP, but it was boring, so I ditched it. I know some others are supposedly good. I'm more into Fripp/Eno.

btw: anyone into the weirder/dronier/experimental side of SY, should give Fripp/Eno a chance, even if you hate prog.

Itīs hard to imagine that someone who likes In the Court of says Poseidon boring. I think theyīre both very great as the all Crimson seventies albums are! I think you should listen at least Red.
Old 10.19.2011, 12:08 PM   #92
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Antenna / Court of the Crimson King

Not really a big deal. It's my only favorite song on the album.
I didnīt realize those songs similarity before you said it. But there is only that end line same, I think theyīre very different songs in entities.

And I think SY isnīt really over, SYR9 is also a great proof of that. And Rather Ripped and Eternal are great albums, not quite like EVOL or Sister, but almost.
Old 10.19.2011, 01:26 PM   #93
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
Eternal. Couldn't get into it. I admit I've listened to it 3 times.. as a whole it feels really flat despite not having any horible songs.
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2011, 01:37 PM   #94
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not a big Eternal fan either, but the first times I listened to it I loved it and it became a favourite of mine, but then I just let it go..
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2011, 03:40 PM   #95
Aaaadrpk
bad moon rising

Aaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's asses
who must be called ''Sonic Youth Break Up''

Aaaadrpk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth