Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page New Sonic Youth single on Sub Pop
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.23.2006, 05:51 PM   #21
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
the thing about majpr labels is they under the RIAA, who also supports/supported by the PMRC, and (see GY!BE's Yanqui U.X.O.) albeit, indirectly, support the manufacturing of artillery for war, etc. (so the little "Smash the PMRC" picture from Goo is slightly hypocritical.)

who cares.

everything that has been manufactured(chairs, desk, food, packaging, paper, everything) has some kind of corporate ties to something that goes against you ethically. don't be a hypocrite. it's not like you've bought everything environmentally friendly that has not hurt any soul in the process, so take your ethical bullshit somewhere else. GY!BE=yawn anyway...they just aren't talented or creative enough to be rachels.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 06:05 PM   #22
Protectmeyou
bad moon rising

Protectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's asses
pfffff........ subpop are so, like, late 80's!
Protectmeyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 07:49 PM   #23
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by khchris(original)

fans forget that SY are pretty old and it's not easy running a label. younger fans think running a label is as easy as burning CD-Rs on your computer and a sharpie for the songs on a xerox copy paper cover, they're a bit naive and selfish and forget that Thurston & Kim have a family of their own, same with Steve and that everyone(except steve) is in their 50s(kim probably late 50s).

SY isn't that old. Kim is in her mid 50s and Lee just turned 50. Thurston is 47 and Steve is just 43.

Anyways, about the label thing. Since Thurston did that thing with Universal, he could distribute the records through that.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 08:00 PM   #24
TeamRamRod
little trouble girl

TeamRamRod ain't too shabby
I imagine Interscope will drop them after this album. SY is barely selling and isn't marketable. Sub Pop or Matador would be good for SY. Folks here are acting like the Youth have sniffed a gold record since Jet Set Trash. I seem to recall seeing on here that Sonic Nurse only sold like 70k copies total.
TeamRamRod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 08:22 PM   #25
Jesus
empty page

Jesus has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I think Thurston should spit in khchris' eye for saying such nonsense like, "they're too old to put out their own records" or "I think they'll retire"
Has anyone heard the new album or seen them live this summer?
Does anyone else think they're going to retire?...no fucking way
You don't have much faith in Sonic Youth, do you "original"?

I haven't heard much about the Geffen contract running out but I assume Geffen will renew it. SY may not sell millions of records but with consistent album sells and a devoted fan following for many years, I'm sure Geffen will have a hard time letting them go.

but...

even if they do, there is no doubt whatsoever they will be on Ecstatic Peace and Universal will distribute it.

It's not out of the question for them to be on their own SYR label either, though I don't think it will happen. I've seen the SYR titles many times in major record stores. The distribution with SYR is better than I would have ever imagined. Besides it's not like the band would be sitting around hand designing every cover that went out.
The idea of them being on Sub Pop, in my opinion, won't happen. I mean what could Seattle based Sub Pop have to offer that Ecstatic/Universal could not.
Being on Matador is even more absurd. SY along with Dinosaur, Sebadoh, etc have already done business with Gerard Cosloy who was the founder of Homestead and co-founder of Matador. If you know the history these bands had with Homestead, you would see why they would never cross paths again.

Look at Stereolab. They were sadly dropped from a major but now release albums under their Too Pure label.
They can do it, why couldn't SY?
Jesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 08:25 PM   #26
Daddylikes
the end of the ugly

Daddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's asses
Kim's too old to play bass.

So, why is that a rediculous statement?
Daddylikes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 08:28 PM   #27
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddylikes
Kim's too old to play bass.

So, why is that a rediculous statement?

Exactly. This is the first time I think I've agreed with KhChris on the new board.
Old 07.23.2006, 08:42 PM   #28
Jesus
empty page

Jesus has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
It's "ridiculous" in the same way someone would say, Charlie Mingus was too old to play bass....or Mayo Thompson is too old to sing.
I could list 10324 other examples but what relevance does it have to....well, anything
Jesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 09:03 PM   #29
matt g
bad moon rising

matt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's asses
Ecstatic Peace is now distributed by Fontana Distribution, an offshoot of Vivendi/Universal (UMGD to the industry types). Fontana is to UMGD what Caroline and ADA are to EMI and WEA, respectivly. It is the world's largest music manufacturing & distribution company's attampt at reaching the indie/punk and urban/hip hop demographics (me,you). Fontana has sucked up quite a few labels from the now defunkt Mordam Records (which has been swallowed up by Lumberjack Dist.) as well as some key labels from Caroline, ADA and RED (Sony's "indie" dist. wing) in this market-share blitzkrieg. By having EP distributed by Fontana instead of Revolver (EP's former dist, Smells Like's current dist), Thurston is basically guaranteeing a steady paycheck and probably has an office and more money for either reissuing older out of print EP titles and promoting new bands like BYOP & the AC. I would also disagree with the post about SY not being good business people, because this move has excellent leverage to stay within the compound of the UMGD family, if you will, but still have the freedom they're used to, and perhaps more. A very shrewd move to make when your contract's up indeed. Not to say they're being sellouts or any kind of indie bandwagonesque banter, all i'm saying is that it was a smart move regarless of SY's future.
matt g is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 09:04 PM   #30
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus
It's "ridiculous" in the same way someone would say, Charlie Mingus was too old to play bass....or Mayo Thompson is too old to sing.
I could list 10324 other examples but what relevance does it have to....well, anything

Shut up, Jesus.
Old 07.23.2006, 09:12 PM   #31
khchris
little trouble girl

khchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud of
Early 50's is old!

Trust me, I'm almost there and this 8th degree I'm working on is taking a toll on my back!

I think Sonic Youth will most likely move somewhere warm.
khchris is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 09:12 PM   #32
Daddylikes
the end of the ugly

Daddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

But Kim is too old to play bass.

That's why Mike Ibold is on the new tour.
Daddylikes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 09:32 PM   #33
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
SY isn't that old. Kim is in her mid 50s and Lee just turned 50. Thurston is 47 and Steve is just 43.

Anyways, about the label thing. Since Thurston did that thing with Universal, he could distribute the records through that.

does anyone have any like or proff that his label is being distributed by universal?

that seems to be what i'm hearing but i haven't seen or heard anything about it. (not saying it's false, but some proof would be nice)
Old 07.23.2006, 09:34 PM   #34
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
be your own pet's cd says Ecstatic Peace!/Universal is the distributor and label they're on. it's also covered in warnings saying if you pirate it, you will die so you can tell the big label has effed it.
Old 07.23.2006, 09:38 PM   #35
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by khchris(original)
does anyone have any like or proff that his label is being distributed by universal?

that seems to be what i'm hearing but i haven't seen or heard anything about it. (not saying it's false, but some proof would be nice)

BYOP's cd.

Edit: Jade beat me.
Old 07.23.2006, 09:45 PM   #36
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Sounds good. I hear rumors that SY will be leaving Geffen. If they do I think Sub Pop would be perfect for them. I just hope they are able to sell enough records to keep them going. I'd hate to see Sonic Youth expire before their time. If Iggy Pop, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and all these old musicians are still capable of performing and coping with life on the road, SY will be around for years to come. They may be aged, but they still ahve the energy of people more than half their age. They're still young at heart.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 09:48 PM   #37
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
thats another thing, thanks fro reminding me.. "pirating".
to quote khchris.. "WHO CARES" it isn't harming anyone, and the label is already rolling in enough moneyto feed the entire continent of North America for a year. so why the fuck should average joe not download yr stinkin album or burn copies withoutpaying royalties or fines? fuck you, riaa. (ps, kh, you know exactly what i mean, im sure alot of people agree with me in that, they would prefer to not support the riaa/pmrc/whatever else. its the same as say, being vegetarian/vegan or buying organic foods or not supporting sweatshop labour, or anything else like that)

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 09:50 PM   #38
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
If Iggy Pop, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and all these old musicians are still capable of performing and coping with life on the road, SY will be around for years to come. They may be aged, but they still ahve the energy of people more than half their age. They're still young at heart.

I don't think Johnny Cash can take life on the road anymore...
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 09:52 PM   #39
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
you kiddin? johnny cash is still kickin it hard in the afterlife. hes on tour right now "Beyond the Grave Tour '06" i believe he played in Tulsa earlier tonight.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2006, 10:00 PM   #40
khchris(original)
100%

Quote:
I think Thurston should spit in khchris' eye for saying such nonsense like, "they're too old to put out their own records" or "I think they'll retire"
Has anyone heard the new album or seen them live this summer?
Does anyone else think they're going to retire?...no fucking way
You don't have much faith in Sonic Youth, do you "original"?

I haven't heard much about the Geffen contract running out but I assume Geffen will renew it. SY may not sell millions of records but with consistent album sells and a devoted fan following for many years, I'm sure Geffen will have a hard time letting them go.

but...

even if they do, there is no doubt whatsoever they will be on Ecstatic Peace and Universal will distribute it.

It's not out of the question for them to be on their own SYR label either, though I don't think it will happen. I've seen the SYR titles many times in major record stores. The distribution with SYR is better than I would have ever imagined. Besides it's not like the band would be sitting around hand designing every cover that went out.
The idea of them being on Sub Pop, in my opinion, won't happen. I mean what could Seattle based Sub Pop have to offer that Ecstatic/Universal could not.
Being on Matador is even more absurd. SY along with Dinosaur, Sebadoh, etc have already done business with Gerard Cosloy who was the founder of Homestead and co-founder of Matador. If you know the history these bands had with Homestead, you would see why they would never cross paths again.

Look at Stereolab. They were sadly dropped from a major but now release albums under their Too Pure label.
They can do it, why couldn't SY?

1. don't be a coward and get a new handle just because you're afraid to voice your opinion. just use your original name.

2. FONTANA DISTRIBUTION, not Universal, is distributing Ecstatic Peace.

3. they didn't press that many syrs out. if you saw it in a major record store in los angeles, that doesn't mean you can find it in jackson, mississippi. also, how would they tour? do you think SY have enough money to pay for techs, huge trucks, airfare to tour through Ecstatic Peace??? think again.

4. Sub Pop sell alot of pretty popular acts, same with Matador. i might be willing to bet that even INTERPOL can draw in just as many people than SY right now because they're so popular.

5. Dino released their first and SY released BMR...babe, this was 85 & 86. both are older and wiser. matador is a much complete record label these days. comparing gerard's business from 1986 to 2006 it absolutely retarded. (nice namedrop btw) if they can manage INTERPOL, i'm quite sure they can do fine with SY. JSBE is still on matador and from my understanding, sy don't have any kind of falling out with gerard. i think matador speaks for itself. they have some very fine bands and have run the label pretty well, being able to distribute their acts and promote them pretty well(just look at JSBE).

6. if geffen was happy and content w/ sy, they would've renewed their deal with SY before or during SONIC NURSE in order to keep from getting in a bidding war with SY. by allowing sy to finish out their contract, it says one of two things: 1. they don't want to renew because sy probably aren't making alot of money for them and/or 2. they're not sure sy can sell. regardless, geffen letting sy finish out their contract without a proposal for a renewed contract shows geffen's faith(or lack thereof) in sy to make money for them.

7. stereolab is still a tiny band in comparison to SY. everyone knows sy, about a third of the people who know or heard of sy know of stereolab.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth