Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Bands that sucked to begin, then rocked!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.05.2009, 01:47 PM   #21
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
DEPECHE MODE

Just Can't Get Enough, my ass!
Old 09.05.2009, 01:48 PM   #22
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Really? Prodigy Experience and Jilted... are seminal records for people of a certain generation. Fat of the Land was just the beginning of a big, boring stadium rave band. There are quite a few ex-rave (-ish) bands whose live show shits on Prodigy's. Surprisingly, in the case of Basement Jaxx.
Well yeah, I guess I can't understand Experience too much because I was just born when it was released, and therefore didn't live the rave scene when it did happen. I really love Music For The Jilted Generation though, but Experience I just can't get into.
I really love post-Fat Of The Land Prodigy too, but then again maybe it's because it's the Prodigy I grew up with ... Firestarter brings back memories of playing Wipeout on Playstation with my uncles, etc. I consider it as a fucking masterpiece. The next one (Always Outnumbered blahblah) ain't too shabby either if you ask me, I think it's kind of underrated. There are some great tracks on there - You'll Be Under My Wheels, Get Up Get Off, Spitfire, Girls, etc. The new one really sucks though.
I would agree with you on the live show point though - even though I've never seen them live, on the videos I've seen on the Internet (I know you should never judge live performances based on internet videos but hey...) they really sound shitty. It looks like they could just play the CD in the background with the two singers being howling clowns over it (note that I don't mean that because it is electronic music ; I'm actually more into electronic music now than I'm into rock music, and I've loved tons of electronic shows I've witnessed, but I do appreciate when an artist does a bit more than playing note by note, and always exactly with the same timing, volume, etc, as the studio version; on the case of prodigy it's so similar it almost sounds like playback)
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2009, 02:11 PM   #23
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry swedgin
Most bands seem to start out great, then lose their edge and end up sucking. What bands did the opposite?

The Beatles are one band that did this. Who else?

Really? I mean, really?? It's one thing to say that the Beatles' style drastically changed by the time they were through, but to simply say their early stuff "sucked"... I'm sorry, I don't agree at all.
flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2009, 02:25 PM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
Well yeah, I guess I can't understand Experience too much because I was just born when it was released, and therefore didn't live the rave scene when it did happen. I really love Music For The Jilted Generation though, but Experience I just can't get into.
I really love post-Fat Of The Land Prodigy too, but then again maybe it's because it's the Prodigy I grew up with ... Firestarter brings back memories of playing Wipeout on Playstation with my uncles, etc. I consider it as a fucking masterpiece.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I didn't really factor age into it. I mean, I was 9 or 10 when it came out, so it's hardly like I was gurning in a field when it came out. There's a lot of people, of a certain age and type, who feel that the Fat of the Land Prodigy is a completely different one to the early one. They were playing second-rate dance music to a rock crowd. But, y'know, it's all horses for courses. I'd honestly not considered that to people your age Prodigy have always been the dance band playing to rock crowds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2009, 02:37 PM   #25
jerf
children of satan

jerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's asses
I was actually going to come in this thread to say The Beatles, but someone beat me to it. Yes.

As far as their earliest songs are concerned, "She Loves You" or "I Want To Hold Your Hand" are pretty bland pop songs. Sure, they were great early examples, but I feel like they're just songs written for girls. Kind of like NSYNC or Backstreet Boys songs for the 60's.

And when you hear what they went on to do later on, albums like "Revolver" and "Sgt. Pepper" really just make those early songs look like shit.

The songs don't suck overall, they just suck in comparison to their later work.

jerf is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2009, 02:46 PM   #26
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerf
I was actually going to come in this thread to say The Beatles, but someone beat me to it. Yes.

As far as their earliest songs are concerned, "She Loves You" or "I Want To Hold Your Hand" are pretty bland pop songs. Sure, they were great early examples, but I feel like they're just songs written for girls. Kind of like NSYNC or Backstreet Boys songs for the 60's.

And when you hear what they went on to do later on, albums like "Revolver" and "Sgt. Pepper" really just make those early songs look like shit.

The songs don't suck overall, they just suck in comparison to their later work.

I think as far as music of that era goes, it was pretty damn good. How many songs of that time, in that genre weren't love songs? Back then, there was no "later Beatles" to compare it to. It was what it was, and they did it well.
Old 09.05.2009, 02:51 PM   #27
jerf
children of satan

jerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by flophousefloozie
I think as far as music of that era goes, it was pretty damn good. How many songs of that time, in that genre weren't love songs? Back then, there was no "later Beatles" to compare it to. It was what it was, and they did it well.

Right, that was my point. I'm comparing it to now. Personally, I think the earlier songs sound dated compared to later on. But again, I'm comparing.

jerf is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2009, 02:52 PM   #28
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Yeah, that's fair enough. I didn't really factor age into it. I mean, I was 9 or 10 when it came out, so it's hardly like I was gurning in a field when it came out. There's a lot of people, of a certain age and type, who feel that the Fat of the Land Prodigy is a completely different one to the early one. They were playing second-rate dance music to a rock crowd. But, y'know, it's all horses for courses. I'd honestly not considered that to people your age Prodigy have always been the dance band playing to rock crowds.
I think you've also got to consider the country factor. I mean, I can't be 100% sure since I was only 3 when Music For The Jilted Generation came out, but I'm pretty certain that the first two Prodigy albums didn't have the same impact in France as it had in the UK. I think Prodigy really reached a mainstream success here with The Fat Of The Land. No Good was probably being played on the french radios and all at the time (I'm almost sure it was, since the first time I consciously listened to No Good, I thought "wait, I've already heard that a long time ago", kind of like a sound from my early childhood), but that was probably about it.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2009, 02:57 PM   #29
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerf
Right, that was my point. I'm comparing it to now. Personally, I think the earlier songs sound dated compared to later on. But again, I'm comparing.

Yeah, no I was just reinforcing what I said at first. I don't think comparing is fair when it comes to rating an album by "sucking" or not, especially when it was produced during a time that most of us can harly comprehend, having never experienced it.

But you seem to recognize that too so, really, I think you're being fair.
Old 09.05.2009, 04:34 PM   #30
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
The Notwist
Talk Talk
Old 09.05.2009, 05:34 PM   #31
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
^^ good ones

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth