Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Bands That Need Repeat LIstens to Fully Reveal Itself
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.02.2007, 11:03 AM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
You guys know what I'm talking about? I think Mission of Burma is the perfect example of the phenomenon. Vs, OnOffOn and The Obliterati are all great , but many of the songs don't exactly hit you immediately. I didnt think much of the obliterati at first but when I gave it another chance i noticed all these great little things about the songs and now I love the record. I think some Sonic Youth records have this quality too such as Sonic Nurse.I lvoe that record even more now.

What bands do you feel have this quality? I feel like i might have given some bands the brush off when they deserve another look (captain beefheart, pil).
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 11:23 AM   #2
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
That's how I was with unwound.
I bought new plastic ideas and didn't like it. Then a few months later I listned again and they're in my top 3 now.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 11:23 AM   #3
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
CLINIC comes to my mind. I bought Internal Wrangeler back when, thought it was dreck. Then heard them again, and bought into them. They don't have that many discernable great tunes per se, but their vibe and sound is spot on original..

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
That's how I was with unwound.
I bought new plastic ideas and didn't like it. Then a few months later I listned again and they're in my top 3 now.

they do rule.

new plastic ideas and fake train and challenge for civilized and
Old 10.02.2007, 11:25 AM   #5
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
one band that took me many many listens, because i just did not dig what they wer3e going for, but which now are one of my all time faves is
MORPHINE

I could not understand the low-rock, with no guitar, but fuck is it awesome.
Old 10.02.2007, 11:35 AM   #6
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
I would agree with the Mission of Burma mention. The first time I heard them was when I picked up a copy of Signals, Calls, and Marches from a used bin for like $2, and I didn't really like it all. I gave it a few more chances and its complete brilliance finally dawned on me. Now MOB are one of my absolute favorite bands.

Other bands that were kinda like that (for me at least) were... Xiu Xiu, and Sonic Youth to an extent. It's cool when you can immediately love a band, but it's maybe a little more rewarding when you have to work for it and you're constantly finding new things in the music that catch your ear and make you enjoy it even more. SY are still like that for me, sometimes I'll listen to one of their albums and catch some new thing I've never heard before and like it even more because of that.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 11:48 AM   #7
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
I AGREE WITH ALL THE ABOVE. xiu, unwound, unsane too, i found mission of burma instantly likeable, mind you that was vs, onoffon is great too but the obliterati is poor, way poor...

other bands. battles- at first it waslike "um, ok, whaever. but wit repeated listens the magic flowed.... don cab as well, well no suprise there. recent sonic albums too demand repeated listens to justify their glory, sonic nurse and rather ipped are examples of this. animal collective is another, in fact most music are growers...

there are very few bands which impact on first lisens.. those personally speaking that spring to mind are mbvs loveless, slints spiderland, lcd soundsystems sound of silver and on a lesser extent the debut. any stereolab stuff.. in other words the truly great will hit home immediatly!
Old 10.02.2007, 12:11 PM   #8
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth were like that for me, originally. Their deviation from standard chords, etc. and now I'm a huge fan. A testament to stretching one's palate.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 05:14 PM   #9
dharmabumTX
empty page

dharmabumTX has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
It took me a a fair while to get into Animal Collective. The fairly linear, but also absurd rhythms & sample sequences just take a while to attune the ear to I think.
Worthwhile doing though.
dharmabumTX is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 06:32 PM   #10
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Pretty much everything already said above as well as Grizzly Bear. I saw them open for TVOTR after hearing Yellow House once or twice but didn't really get into them as much until a few months after that show. Lightning Bolt too, they confused me a lot when I first heard them 3 years ago.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 08:25 PM   #11
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
Pretty much everything already said above as well as Grizzly Bear. I saw them open for TVOTR after hearing Yellow House once or twice but didn't really get into them as much until a few months after that show. Lightning Bolt too, they confused me a lot when I first heard them 3 years ago.

how is grizzly bear,
I really want to check out some of their stuff.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2007, 12:55 AM   #12
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
When I go way back, I recall Pere Ubu being like that for me. Of course their music has all sorts of hidden qualities, so it fits. The weird thing is today, it's so familiar to me, I have to remind myself how really strange, obscure, and multi-layered the music is. I honestly always liked it, but it took quite a few listens to really hear it nonetheless.

Low also come to mind. They aren't exactly complicated, but there is something going on beneath the surface nonetheless, perhaps emotionally.

And this is going to sound a bit from left field, but Blue Oyster Cult's first record had that hazy, infesting quality too. The soon became a bit too FM rock, but the first record has a really haunting quality that definitely grows with repeats.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2007, 01:29 AM   #13
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
When I first heard Husker Du and the Replacements I thought they just sounded like average indie-rock. One day they both clicked and became two of my favourite bands.
Old 10.03.2007, 02:46 AM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm..

I guess Beefheart is a good example, I heard Trout Mask Replica years ago and thought it was just a racket, just a bunch of people playing different songs at the same time, and then I heard Decals, which is like Trout Mask but a bit sparser... and I thought it was brilliant and I went back to Trout Mask and realized it was brilliant as well. Truely bizarre, and I've rarely found anyone who liked Trout Mask the first time they heard it (though I think one of the reasons I disliked it was the production, which is TERRIBLE; one of the only albums to consistantly give me a headache thanks to Zappa's lifeless production, yuck).

I can definitely see Pere Ubu taking a little while to like, you hit the nail on the head by mentioning all the hidden intricacies that make it work so well. I agree with a lot of the bands you guys mentioned taking a while to really enjoy -- definitely Unwound, Mission of Burma -- except perhaps Animal Collective (nothing too wild about it in my opinion, I latched on to the cool sounds and beautiful melodies immediately and I'm sure most of America will soon) and Unsane (amazing from the get-go! Though Cutthroats 9 are [were?] better..).

Ah, oh... BLACK FLAG took me a while to get into (rather, I'm getting into it currently), some guy made me a CD that he called "Black Flag's greatest hits" and it was a cut or two from all their CD's, and I remembered spinning it quite a bit and not really getting into it; a guitar part here or a lyric there would stick with me but it wouldn't really matter to me. Reading about microtonal guitar solos and Greg Ginn finally made me interested enough in Black Flag to hunt down thier albums and while I still probably don't appreciate them as much as I should, I'm getting there.

Everything I've heard from Einsturzende Neubauten has done nothing for me, but everyone I know whose opinion I respect has cited them as a favorite or an influence, so I could see myself end up digging them one day. Hmm.

Sway, all the early Pelican stuff is indeed awesome. Australasia is amazing.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2007, 05:08 AM   #15
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Jeff Buckley
Radiohead
The Notwist
My Brightest Diamond
Television
PJ Harvey
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth