Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Who has been the greatest live act ever?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.29.2008, 08:52 PM   #21
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
hmm, prolly one of the Hardcore bands. I watch tons of footage from Reagan era hardcore and all those performances were just mesmerizing. It could be Black Flag, Bad Brains, DOA, MDC, shit, all those bands torched live.

Hendrix was an incendiary performer.

The Art Ensemble of Chicago had a fun and elaborate stage set up while still making some of the most incredible music ever.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 03:51 AM   #22
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
for me it's the YOOOOOOf by far.
Old 10.30.2008, 04:53 AM   #23
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
For me it's Sonic Youth, but then again, I've only been to two concerts.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 04:55 AM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
ever? Who knows? It'd be something like Boredoms or Acid Mothers Temple I'm sure.

The best band I ever saw live was probably Melt Banana.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 07:09 AM   #25
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
My favorite live band is definitely Acid Mothers Temple. I've lost track of how many times I've seen them. Never once been disappointed.
hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 07:17 AM   #26
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
My best ever live act would probably be some sort of chart fodder, to be honest. I took my girlfriend to see Shania Twain, and her show was pretty excellent, and I took my niece to see S Club 7 and that was great fun and highly entertaining. Of the shows that I've taken myself to see, Prince and Iron Maiden stand out as being particularly good.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 08:20 AM   #27
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbuss
My best ever live act would probably be some sort of chart fodder, to be honest. I took my girlfriend to see Shania Twain, and her show was pretty excellent, and I took my niece to see S Club 7 and that was great fun and highly entertaining. Of the shows that I've taken myself to see, Prince and Iron Maiden stand out as being particularly good.

Ah, come on. No Yoof there?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 09:33 AM   #28
sarramkrop

What do you do after you have finally found out who best live act is, then? Do you get a pat on the shoulder and a benign smile from people who think that you're a twat?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 09:38 AM   #29
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
although I'm not much of a fan of their music, the answer and end-all to this thread is:

GWAR
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 11:47 AM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
if you like fucking cartoon bands.
Old 10.30.2008, 11:57 AM   #31
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
which we all do, right guys?
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 11:58 AM   #32
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
ever? Who knows? It'd be something like Boredoms or Acid Mothers Temple I'm sure.

The best band I ever saw live was probably Melt Banana.

damn Ive missed them in bremen a few weeks ago, I wasnt sure If hey are that good live...
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 12:17 PM   #33
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
i've seen Gwar, Boredoms (twice), and Acid Mothers (thrice)...the simple beauty of Jack Rose's playing speaks more to me (though the above shows were excellent, of course).
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 12:26 PM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
the single best ROCK AND ROLL show I ahve ever seen, insane from start to finish, mad rockin, each song played like it was the last song ever, was URGE OVERKILL right after saturation came out. small club in Houston. so fucking awesome. They knew how to RAWK. and they were stylish and debonair a decade before all these fop fucks of the past 10 years decided it would be hip to dress up in fly suits and have pretty haircuts.
Old 10.30.2008, 12:30 PM   #35
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I would say that next to GWAR, the greatest live act was the one where floatingslowly punched the guy in Consolidated in the face (giving him a bloody nose).

that floatingslowly's a real SHOW STOPPER.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 01:54 PM   #36
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
I agree with GWAR. Its just too much fun.

Also, for me, Tool in 2001 during their lateralus tour. Not now though, ohhhhh lord.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 03:34 PM   #37
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Best of the active bands I've seen in the last couple years...
Hank IV, Oh Sees, Mayyors, Tyvek, Coconut Coolouts, Wounded Lion, Box Elders, Eat Skull, Mika Miko, Realicide, Shearing Pinx

Best of the last decade, now r.i.p.
Coughs, The Hunches, Sleetmute Nightmute, Dead Moon, Business Lady

Best I saw in the 90s...
Karate Party, Nar, The Makers, The Registrators, Lord High Fixers, Dead Moon, first few Melt Banana tours, Smash Your Face, Slight Slappers, Suppression, Caroliner, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, High Rise

Best I saw in the 80s...
Savage Republic, Pussy Galore, Isocracy

Best noise acts I've ever seen...
Men Who Can't Love, Tralphaz, Pod Blotz, Hans Grusel's Krankenkabinet

Best reunions...
Flipper, Bad Posture
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 04:02 PM   #38
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
although I'm not much of a fan of their music, the answer and end-all to this thread is:

GWAR
ha yeah

Old 10.30.2008, 11:00 PM   #39
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Would have killed to see Ike & Tina Turner back in the 60's.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 11:38 PM   #40
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
the best show I ever saw personally was Bunny Wailer at the Hollywood Bowl 2006, legendary, 18000 of in chorus to "Get Up Stand Up" and "Cool Runnings", miraculous for los angeles I tell you..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth