Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page the constantly-bumped "great releases of 2010" thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.28.2010, 02:36 PM   #281
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Definitely one of the best bands.. my favorite album is their first one, which had Alan Bishop on nearly every song. But they do "PSYCH ROCK" without any cliches. THey're just amazing.

Fugazifan, FUNERAL MARIACHI should be available "online" today or tomorrow... bet you're psyched!

Yeah, here's da yonkers: http://www.mediafire.com/?gz4qzoem2y5

(Drag City) This is crazy fucking good! This strange, beautiful ball of weird miraculously never falls into the novelty zone, Yonkers' earnestness transforming absurd juxtapositions and strange voices and ideas into something that makes perfect (non)sense. Recorded by (the now lauded by psyche-heads, freak folkers, and obscuro-philiacs) Yonkers in 1977, and unheard since then, this song suite contains sweet songs. It alternates between strange pop, folk, old time rock 'n' roll, gospel, madrigals, goth, yodels, and Detroit punk that would scare the Stooges...all on one record in a half hour! Yonkers' vocals recall Roky Erickson, Jandek, Lux Interior, Moe Tucker, a puppet, Roy Orbison with a cold, Froggy from
Andy Devine, and Klaus Nomi when he just woke up, and I know I'm missing about 900 others. Yet it's also delicately, strangely distinct. This is like outsider art done by someone who is actually a brilliant technical and formal expert on everything but just can't help making music that sounds like someone who lived in a cave and has never spoken to anyone but his friend the rock, was involved in all the decision making. Gold indeed!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2010, 03:00 PM   #282
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
so far:

1 Daughters - Daughters
2 Punch - Push Pull
3 Zola Jesus - Stridulum II
4 Swans - My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky
5 Walls - Walls
6 Naked on the Vague - Heaps of Nothing
7 The Books - The Way Out
8 Giant Drag - Swan Song
9 All Kinds of People ~Love Burt Bacharach~
10 Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me
11 The Hundred In The Hands - The Hundred in the Hands
12 Sightings - City of Straw
13 Broken Water - Whet
14 anbb - Ret Marut Handshake
15 Bettie Serveert - Pharmacy of Love

I look like a terribele hipster now....so I'm gonna cry while smoking.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2010, 05:51 PM   #283
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Definitely one of the best bands.. my favorite album is their first one, which had Alan Bishop on nearly every song. But they do "PSYCH ROCK" without any cliches. THey're just amazing.

Fugazifan, FUNERAL MARIACHI should be available "online" today or tomorrow... bet you're psyched!

Yeah, here's da yonkers: http://www.mediafire.com/?gz4qzoem2y5

(Drag City) This is crazy fucking good! This strange, beautiful ball of weird miraculously never falls into the novelty zone, Yonkers' earnestness transforming absurd juxtapositions and strange voices and ideas into something that makes perfect (non)sense. Recorded by (the now lauded by psyche-heads, freak folkers, and obscuro-philiacs) Yonkers in 1977, and unheard since then, this song suite contains sweet songs. It alternates between strange pop, folk, old time rock 'n' roll, gospel, madrigals, goth, yodels, and Detroit punk that would scare the Stooges...all on one record in a half hour! Yonkers' vocals recall Roky Erickson, Jandek, Lux Interior, Moe Tucker, a puppet, Roy Orbison with a cold, Froggy from
Andy Devine, and Klaus Nomi when he just woke up, and I know I'm missing about 900 others. Yet it's also delicately, strangely distinct. This is like outsider art done by someone who is actually a brilliant technical and formal expert on everything but just can't help making music that sounds like someone who lived in a cave and has never spoken to anyone but his friend the rock, was involved in all the decision making. Gold indeed!
thanks for the link, although i already found one. i will give it a listen tomorrow.
and yeah i am psyched about the new and last SCG. although i would like to purchase it. is it coming out on CD or only vinyl?
and its not really the last SCG album for me, soince there are still like 80 that i have never heard.
btw- group inerane is amazing.

oh and although the new MMOB album is amazing, totem one is my favorite so far, if only for people of the drifting houses which is one of my favorite songs.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2010, 05:52 PM   #284
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Hey Adam, who are these crazy talented rifftastic rock bands?
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2010, 06:17 PM   #285
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I got some cool ones on my list... new Trumans Water, for example. At the top of my head.. whatever John Reis (Night Marchers) or Rick Froberg (Obits) is doing (formely of Hot Snakes, Drive Like Jehu -- two of the best bands ever; I've probably listened to Hot Snakes more than any other band ever), or involved in (Beehive/Baracuda, Sultans, Marked Men) is always worth a look. Tons of awesome j indie bands (Yolz in the Sky, Sparta Locals, Toddle, Zazen Boys, Number Girl, Gaji, Bloodthirsty Butchers). Druid Perfume, Vapid, Contaminators, Outer Spacist, Herman's Rocket, Human Egg, Krallice, Piranhas, Manikin, etc. are pretty great mostly recent examples. As far as stuff from a few years ago that no one really paid much attention to despite being amazing, I HIGHLY reccomend Ikara Colt (fast art punk, like early Fall, y'know "Steppin Out" "Firey Jack" but really sloppy and arsy) and Theory of Ruin (like an evil, damaged, quivering Shellac that sounds like they're going to fall apart any second). That Heroin Sheiks album that came out a few years ago is a classic.. that no one paid attention to. Halo of Flies reformed as HoF and are fucking awesome. Just too many to name. New Necrophagist album should be coming out any day, and will likely be the guitar album. I'm sure that Daughters album is awesome, too, they always had great riffs -- thanks for reminding me of it, Lou.

And hey if you want to hear a lot of crazy riffs, check out the new Scissor Shock album http://www.mediafire.com/?b28upiail4y5a57 ... the title track alone has around 350 riffs.

Old 09.28.2010, 06:35 PM   #286
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

So, who's digging the new Reich disc, "double sextet/2x5"? I think it rules. There's a part where all the instruments come together perfectly, creating this really staccato drum/organ thing, with every organ note perfectly on the beat of the drums, and it kicks ass.

Old 09.29.2010, 11:59 AM   #287
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Listened to that Michael Yonkers album and loved it. Its like a Greek pirate doing acoustic lo-fi elvis covers with some american indians as the backing vocalists.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2010, 12:06 PM   #288
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

glad you like!!

Old 09.29.2010, 03:32 PM   #289
Marolo
little trouble girl

Marolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's asses
anyone got a link for Group Inerane - guitars from agadez vol3? Loved the other ones.

Another seriously good 2010 release on Sublime Frequencies:

Ecstatic Music Of The Jemaa El Fna ♥♥♥
Old 09.29.2010, 03:46 PM   #290
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

just get it on slsk. add DerekMcA or godisalive

Old 09.29.2010, 03:52 PM   #291
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
http://experimentaletc.blogspot.com/

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 09:49 AM   #292
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
trumans water has a new record?

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 10:09 AM   #293
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Lightin the Shadows by Kaly Live Dub is fucking awesome. For those who loved High Tone's Out Back, check this out. Another french dub band inspired by dubstep, another double album released on jarring effects, another killer. Blows my mind !
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 11:49 AM   #294
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
The steve reich is, well, very steve reichey. I'm more of a fan of the second half of the record, but overall if you like steve reich or are a fan of other contemporary minimalist composers, you will probably enjoy the pieces.

Right now listening to the sufjan stevens' new one ''Age of Adz'', its typical stevens but electronic. Usual chord progressions and harmonies that make all his stuff recognizable, but with bleeps and boops instead of violins and horns.

Oh yeah on the last track which is over 20 minutes long there is some autotune. No comment.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 01:58 PM   #295
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Has the Puffy Areolas record been mentioned already? It's so ridiculously good it makes me forget The Stooges ever existed.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 04:01 PM   #296
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

^I keep forgetting to mention it, but yeah, I like it a lot.

Old 10.03.2010, 07:29 AM   #297
super_charger
bad moon rising

super_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's asses
I'm enjoying the following:

Angels - Epileptical West
The Books - The Way Out
Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM
The Claudia Quintet - Royal Toast
The Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
Eddy Current Suppression Ring - Rush to Relax
The Fall - Our Future Your Clutter
Fred Frith w/ Cosa Brava - Ragged Atlas
Gun Outfit - Possession Sound
Holy Fuck - Latin
Jaga Jazzist - One-Armed Bandit
John Zorn - In Search of the Miraculous
John Zorn w/ The Dreamers - Ipos: The Book of Angels Vol. 14
Kurt Vile - Square Shells EP
Liars - Sisterworld
Marnie Stern - Marnie Stern
Master Musicians of Bukkake - Totem Two
The Megaphonic Thrift - Decay Decoy
Moon Duo - Escape
Neil Young - Le Noise
The Nels Cline Singers - Initiate
No Age - Everything In Between
Nothing People - Soft Crash
Sun Araw - On Patrol
Sun City Girls - Funeral Mariachi
Swans - My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky
Thee Oh Sees - Warm Slime
Ty Segall - Melted
Univers Zero - Clivages
Zs - New Slaves
super_charger is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2010, 11:35 AM   #298
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
^I keep forgetting to mention it, but yeah, I like it a lot.
YES

also I forgot the circle pit album which is a great mix between vaselines and (later) royal trux
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2010, 10:25 AM   #299
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
the best thing i've heard so far this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnYq-cAKtS8

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2010, 04:39 PM   #300
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
as expected, new rustie's ep fucking delivers. might be my record of the year, seriously. can't find any flaws in it. it's just totally incredible.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
121314 15 161718 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth