Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.01.2017, 06:47 PM   #21561
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Ok, but psychology isn’t pseudoscience. The show stole from real theories, and made it look like a superpower. But ... y’know... *actual* psychology — that is, the systematic study of human behavior in relation to the brain — is not pseudoscience. It’s science science.

I took chemistry classes that were soft as butter compared to advanced quantitative research methods in neuropsychology, or psychopharmacology.

The show actually pisses me off because it feeds the public misconception that psychology is just sitting in a chair and judging people. That’s just clinical psychology, and yeah, it’s not great.

I just didn’t like how old that shit got. “You’re lying.” Wow. Ok. Way to knock the wind out of me, whatever-the-fuck your name is. I had no idea this episode was going to be about you dealing with someone who was *lying*. Whoah.

It’s a lot like that OTHER-other science gone stupid show “Bones.” That show does an excellent job of making a perfectly reputable (but nowhere near as reputable methodologically as psychology or medicine) science, in that case applied anthropology, and just making it look like a goddamn joke.

What’s the deal with making science look LESS INTERESTING than it actually is by cooking up drama around it? I’d rather read a textbook than watch that show.

The dude in Lie to Me is based on a real person — Dr. Paul Ekman — whose work and theories on deception and identification have been pretty roundly criticized. He’s a pop psychologist, and his work was applied to airport SPOT technology, and has come under fire for being hastily implemented despite insufficient internal validity testing.
I had a cognition professor who would roll his eyes when talking about Ekman and go on tangents. Loved that guy.

Anyway, these are all bad television shows, but as far as I’m concerned, House is the best because it doesn’t make any reputable fields of study look positively daffy. It just goes to way too much trouble to make microscopic stuff exciting, and to find obscenely ridiculous ways of telling captivating stories based loosely on the tenants of medicine. But at least it doesn’t make people call psychology a pseudo-science. Yeeesh.

christ man.

where the fuck did i say that psychology wasn't science?

of course the tv show features pseudoscience. "you're lying"--EXACTLY! PSEUDOFUCKINGSCIENCE!

even the guy it was based on was bullshit you say. SO: TWICE PSEUDOSCIENCE.

ok, moving on, slightly irritated.

ps-tenets
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2017, 09:04 PM   #21562
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
christ man.

where the fuck did i say that psychology wasn't science?

of course the tv show features pseudoscience. "you're lying"--EXACTLY! PSEUDOFUCKINGSCIENCE!

even the guy it was based on was bullshit you say. SO: TWICE PSEUDOSCIENCE.

ok, moving on, slightly irritated.

ps-tenets

Sorry I wasn’t pissed. I misread and thought you meant psychology was a pseudo-science. My bad. Totally my bad. My apologies for ranting and raving.

I re-read and get it now.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2017, 10:43 PM   #21563
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Sorry I wasn’t pissed. I misread and thought you meant psychology was a pseudo-science. My bad. Totally my bad. My apologies for ranting and raving.

I re-read and get it now.

yeah i thought you were not reading at all and just using my post as an excuse to go off on your own

so-- thanks for saying that!

anyway. on to movies! that new orleans docu i posted above is really great and it's on amazon.
Old 10.01.2017, 11:12 PM   #21564
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I feel silly.
Old 10.02.2017, 01:02 AM   #21565
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
just watched for the first time ever THE TRUMAN SHOW

i purposefully avoided it during its heyday somewhere in the late 90s

i see as its ancestors both "the prisoner" (the 60s tv show) and "pleasantville" and obvious reality shows like that mtv one i can't recall the name.

but i think that, more interestingly, it probably begat "the matrix" -- not in its ideas which are as old as the human ape ("what's real?" "is there another world?") but in probably making it possible for hollywood executives to greenlight such a story. or... i don't know. only 1 year apart? but it feels to me like 2 different eras.

i didn't know that truman show had been directed by peter weir. if i had, i probably would have watched it earlier. o well! looks like i missed out ha ha. tuff titties. caught up eventually. also the writer of this directed gattaca? hmmm...

LOVE "The Truman Show". Funny thing. Visited my best friend in L.A. about fifteen years ago for the first time and he was forced to take me on all the touristy shit, so of course we did the Universal Studios tour. At one point, we come around a bend and there's this huge sound stage and the guide says "......used most recently in films like The Truman Show and its ocean finale...." After the Jaws thing that comes out of the water, the "Back to the Future" car ten feet away and other things, I was most jazzed all day about that stupid Truman Show soundstage. Don't know why.

Also, I sort of agree that "Gattaca" is one of the most underrated sci-fi films of all time. Not only does it feature one of the best scores ever (by the great Michael Nyman), but its an emotional wallop of a film whose earth-bound ideas are just as resonant as its outer space themes. At the time of this and "The Truman Show", I was ready to proclaim Andrew Niccol as THE NEXT BIG AUTEUR. He just lost it. Films like "Lord of War", "In Time", "Simone" and "Good Kill".... they're all so ham-fisted and lacking. But, "Gattaca", best film of '97 which is saying alot for that packed year.
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2017, 01:16 PM   #21566
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

The New Barbarians

Bronx Warriors 2, basically. Utterly shameless Italian rip-off of Mad Max 2. Bordering on a flat out copy, but with an 80s electro-disco soundtrack and some seriously hardcore haircuts. I fucking love this film.

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2017, 01:16 PM   #21567
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
The book was better.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2017, 01:43 PM   #21568
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Finally got round to watching the Balde Runner shorts that have been released as a precursor to the film. The Blackout episode in particular was just great. It's almost worth a movie on its own.

It's certainly kicked up my hype levels for the film too. Bring. it. on.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2017, 02:12 PM   #21569
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't watched them yet. Been meaning to. I kind of assume they'll all be compiled on blu-ray with the film later.
Old 10.03.2017, 07:51 PM   #21570
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Finally got round to watching the Balde Runner shorts that have been released as a precursor to the film. The Blackout episode in particular was just great. It's almost worth a movie on its own.

It's certainly kicked up my hype levels for the film too. Bring. it. on.

I CANNOT FUCKING WAAAAAIIIT!!! Aaaaaahhhh!
Old 10.03.2017, 07:52 PM   #21571
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I haven't watched them yet. Been meaning to. I kind of assume they'll all be compiled on blu-ray with the film later.

Yeah, a lot later. Just watch them. You’re supposed to.

One is directed by Flying Lotus I think.

I only watched one and it was so-so.

THE MOVIE IS GOING TO BE FUCKING GODLIKE THOUGH!!!
Old 10.04.2017, 01:54 PM   #21572
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah, a lot later. Just watch them. You’re supposed to.

One is directed by Flying Lotus I think.

I only watched one and it was so-so.

THE MOVIE IS GOING TO BE FUCKING GODLIKE THOUGH!!!

The animated one is definitely worth watching. I think they're gonna be referenced in the film at some point. It's gonna be interesting to see how David Bautista does too.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2017, 07:42 PM   #21573
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses

The Cell, its been years since I've seen this movie.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2017, 08:21 PM   #21574
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
The animated one is definitely worth watching. I think they're gonna be referenced in the film at some point. It's gonna be interesting to see how David Bautista does too.

I formally predict that Blade Runner 2049 will be nominated for Best Picture, and blow everyone away by being as good as the first.

RT score seems to strongly support this. It could be this year’s Fury Road. Only, y’knkw, better.

You heard it here.

Blade Runner 2049. Best Picture nomination at le Oscars. Seriously.

Against Dunkirk and whatever the hell else there is.
Old 10.06.2017, 03:00 PM   #21575
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Blade Runner 2049 fucking amazing in every way. great atmosphere, camera, scenes, music, acting. brilliant.

was not able to see the whole movie! never happened to me before. throughout two thirds of a movie we have been told to leave the cinema as firefighters were evacuating whole complex because of a gas leak or something. imagine! I haven't even catch Ford's appearance and plot was just kicking in. now I am like wtf. have to go back, I do not know when and finish it. at least they refunded our ticks.

brilliant movie.

(horrible hollywood's vision of future tho. and it seems that we might be heading that direction)

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2017, 09:40 AM   #21576
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

The Mist

I mentioned it not that long ago but picked up the double disc copy with the b&w version. I'd seen the colour version and loved it but this version was what the director wanted and it definitely works. Whichever version though, it's still one of my favourite horror films in a long time. And that ending!

Old 10.07.2017, 09:52 AM   #21577
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
Blade Runner 2049 fucking amazing in every way. great atmosphere, camera, scenes, music, acting. brilliant.

was not able to see the whole movie! never happened to me before. throughout two thirds of a movie we have been told to leave the cinema as firefighters were evacuating whole complex because of a gas leak or something. imagine! I haven't even catch Ford's appearance and plot was just kicking in. now I am like wtf. have to go back, I do not know when and finish it. at least they refunded our ticks.

brilliant movie.

(horrible hollywood's vision of future tho. and it seems that we might be heading that direction)

GO BACK RIGHT NOW.
RIGHT. NOW. IT’S SATURDAY. GO GO!
Old 10.07.2017, 11:40 AM   #21578
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't know the mist had a black and white version. Neat.
Old 10.07.2017, 12:46 PM   #21579
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, when I 1st heard about it I thought it was just a weird gimmick, but it definitely adds something. Not that there's anything wrong with the colour one. It's a really good film in either format.

Has anyone seen the TV series version that apparently started last week?
Old 10.07.2017, 02:00 PM   #21580
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

is it a different edit altogether or just a color thing?

because i've been looking for it and i'll just desaturate the color version if i get it first
57997910291069107610771078 1079 108010811082108911291179 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth