Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.11.2016, 04:18 PM   #48081
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Who are "people" and why are they saying this? Because PJ, Cave, the Pixies and other tried-and-trues have/will release something this calendar year? Or am I missing something new and orgasmic?

I think it was, like, Rolling Stone. I'm not sure though. It was definitely a headline from a prominent entertainment news source.

And no, they weren't talking about PJ... Nick Cave... are you kidding? Whoever "they" were, "they" don't consider new Nick Cave albums to be big news. Idiots.
"They" were talking about Beyoncé, Chance, Radiohead maybe.. probably the new developments in streaming music, and how it's been supposedly legitimized by the RIAA and Billboard, so probably Kanye and Drake too.

Big releases by big names, basically. Unless you missed it, PJ's new album didn't get a particularly warm welcome from critics, which is sad.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2016, 05:21 PM   #48082
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Put on Sebadoh before the album was half over though. That's the problem with rock type stuff that pulls from familiar sources that were already pulling from familiar sources to begin with. You hear it, and you think, "Fine, fine, but if I want to hear this I have about a thousand tried and true albums I could listen to already.".

for real! I do this everytime. rock is such a rehash joke of itself now, it's not even ridiculed anymore. I don't mind familiarity it's just the personality behind it is dull. like a bunch of coffee shop workers emulating their record collection. even when it tries to be updated to compete or influenced by modern hip hop and R&B it falls flat on it's face. where's the balance? isn't it still possible to rock out and be modern and not sound lame? is it possible to talk about it without sounding like a 15 year old YouTube comment, mad at his generation for listening to Bieber?

maybe this is further blabber for the NIN's thread.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2016, 06:00 PM   #48083
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
for real! I do this everytime. rock is such a rehash joke of itself now, it's not even ridiculed anymore. I don't mind familiarity it's just the personality behind it is dull. like a bunch of coffee shop workers emulating their record collection. even when it tries to be updated to compete or influenced by modern hip hop and R&B it falls flat on it's face. where's the balance? isn't it still possible to rock out and be modern and not sound lame? is it possible to talk about it without sounding like a 15 year old YouTube comment, mad at his generation for listening to Bieber?

maybe this is further blabber for the NIN's thread.

I really don't know if it's still possible. I'm trying to think of a genuinely new and interesting sounding rock-type band from the past few years and I'm coming up with nada.

I LOVED Black Bug (RIP Black Bug, you beautiful hideous bastards), and Dub Thompson, and really enjoyed Milk Music and Perfect Pussy... But as great as their albums were in 2013-2014, they were still basically just rehashings of Throbbing Gristle, a Clash/Guided By Voices hybrid, Meat Puppets, and Sonic Youth, respectively.

I think one of the most interesting and inspired rock band that quickly comes to mind from the past 10 years is Fuck Buttons. I have to dig pretty deep to find anything else that jumps out as quickly.
Old 08.11.2016, 06:17 PM   #48084
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
^^ ah, oh well.

Television - Adventure

just as good as Marquee Moon just without the perfect long solos. I also like the production. like they were going for a Born to Run style and coming off like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers from space. it's oddly a more emotional record. favorite for weeks now.
Old 08.11.2016, 08:40 PM   #48085
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
i am going thru a bunch of old mixtapes, so i am listening to a lot of old favorite jams, but i also have been having a lot of migraines so it is usually ambient and drone music as it's the only thing tolerable with the sound sensitivity. something about uninterrupted harmonius sound that helps me feel better. so it's been a lot of:

stephan matheiu - the sad mac
phill niblock - four full flutes, guitar four 2 too, highlights of touch food and touch three
rafael toral - sound mind sound body
janek schaffer - phoenix and phaedra holding patterns
a little oneohtrix, but finding most of it annoying for some reason except for the noise tracks on returnal for some reason. you wouldn't think noise would be pleasant right now
infinite body - random

blah blah blah
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2016, 11:24 AM   #48086
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
i am going thru a bunch of old mixtapes, so i am listening to a lot of old favorite jams, but i also have been having a lot of migraines so it is usually ambient and drone music as it's the only thing tolerable with the sound sensitivity. something about uninterrupted harmonius sound that helps me feel better. so it's been a lot of:

stephan matheiu - the sad mac
phill niblock - four full flutes, guitar four 2 too, highlights of touch food and touch three
rafael toral - sound mind sound body
janek schaffer - phoenix and phaedra holding patterns
a little oneohtrix, but finding most of it annoying for some reason except for the noise tracks on returnal for some reason. you wouldn't think noise would be pleasant right now
infinite body - random

blah blah blah

You get migraines? Like, real, genuine, incapacitating, vomit-inducing migraines?
I get migraines!!! That's awesome!!

Well... not awesome. Terrible, actually. Borders on a true disability for me... migraines were a big factor in my dropping out of grad school. They've been responsible for countless sick days that managers and bosses have simply not had been able to understand, let alone empathize with. To be honest, my migraines have come close to ruining my life completely, and they continue to hold me back, keep me from being 100%, ever.

But it is awesome to encounter a fellow sufferer, if only because it reminds me that there are people out there who struggle with the same thing. Solidarity, brother.

I'm currently getting by on a few different prophylactics, an all out narcotic, and ungodly doses of Sumatriptan/Imatrex. Been all over the medication map trying to find something that works without side effects, and Sumatriptan derivatives were as close as I ever came, but my insurance stopped paying for them, and the one I was on is quite pricey without coverage. So I'm back on the same drug (Imatrex) that I've been on since it hit the market. I was injecting the shit long before I hit puberty. Minor miracle that it still has any effect.

Ok. Confessional over.
Old 08.12.2016, 11:32 AM   #48087
Severian
invito al cielo

Anyway, mere hours after I was doing all that complaining about rock music, I was reminded that Thee Oh Sees' new album, A Weird Exits, dropped today.

Now, Thee Oh Sees may not be revolutionary or new, but they can be relied on to kick out the motherfucking jams like clockwork. New album every year, such that bored post-punk fans like myself can always count on a shot in the arm at the very least from this extremely reliable bad.

New album sounds good.

Still, Thee Oh Sees are definitely not new. So this is a soothing salve for my rock-type-stuff boredom, nothing more. Kinda like that new Dinosaur jr album, which I like pretty well. Still, I've heard so much from both bands for so damn long that it doesn't completely do the trick for me.

Remember how great Broken Social Scene sounded in 2003? Maybe you don't, or maybe you don't like BSS, or thought You Forgot it in People was shit. But for me it was the most invigorating rock album of that era. I need something like THAT to happen now.
Old 08.12.2016, 04:01 PM   #48088
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Case / Lang / Veirs - Helpless & Constant craving
Old 08.12.2016, 07:31 PM   #48089
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain

Coincidentally, in keeping with the Canadian spirit...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2016, 12:40 AM   #48090
pepper_green
Banned

Quote:
Anyway, mere hours after I was doing all that complaining about rock music, I was reminded that Thee Oh Sees' new album, A Weird Exits, dropped today.

Now, Thee Oh Sees may not be revolutionary or new, but they can be relied on to kick out the motherfucking jams like clockwork. New album every year, such that bored post-punk fans like myself can always count on a shot in the arm at the very least from this extremely reliable bad.

New album sounds good.

Still, Thee Oh Sees are definitely not new. So this is a soothing salve for my rock-type-stuff boredom, nothing more. Kinda like that new Dinosaur jr album, which I like pretty well. Still, I've heard so much from both bands for so damn long that it doesn't completely do the trick for me.

Remember how great Broken Social Scene sounded in 2003? Maybe you don't, or maybe you don't like BSS, or thought You Forgot it in People was shit. But for me it was the most invigorating rock album of that era. I need something like THAT to happen now.

I use to love Oh Thee Sees. bored to no end with them. if you want to add a new twist to psych garage then at least not always be so lo-fi about it. it all sounds the same now along with Segal. i'll check it out.

the new Dino album is just that. a new Dino album. it's like trying to hate breakfast now. you just can't because everyone loves eggs, grits, toast, and bacon. even though you've had it a billion times but too familiar to complain. it gets old but you still need it and glad it's around. still one of the greatest live bands around I've every seen. maybe that what matters more now. to be ungodly good live.
Old 08.13.2016, 02:22 AM   #48091
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
oh thee sees got stale fast, you're right..
my recent finding has been slaves, kinda excited about them..
awaiting the new pixies...

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2016, 09:36 AM   #48092
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by candymoan
awaiting the new pixies...

"Baal's Back" is promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=strfx56Sww4
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2016, 11:39 AM   #48093
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove

wasn't aware of it..
thanks for the heads up..

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2016, 03:11 PM   #48094
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
You get migraines? Like, real, genuine, incapacitating, vomit-inducing migraines?
I get migraines!!! That's awesome!!

jesus dude yeah! i have had nearly daily migraines and mixed headaches since i was 14 and now i'm 34. for some reason between the ages of 30ish to just a few months ago they were amazingly, thankfully better. i need to figure out what the diffrerence was because they have been back with a vengence these past 2 months.

so i have the classic migraine - sound sensitivity, light sensitivity, sometimes nausea but not usually, sometimes vomiting. - but i also have sinus pain from a deviated septum - the whole sinus cavity aches, eyes feel like they are bulging out - and then 3rd is TMJ pain - the joint that connects the jaw. it feels sharp like at the temples with migraines/tension headaches. things are connected so the pain runs down the sides of the neck and into the shoulders. COMBINE all these pains at once and welcome to my life. it got so bad the other week i went to the ER. i have had kidney stones, and i would rather have them than a migraine sometimes when it gets so bad. kidney stones are sharper, the worst pain a human can feel, above childbirth. at least they only last a few hours and then it's done. when i went to the ER i had had a nonstop mixed migraine for 20 hours straight.

i take maxalt for the migraines, Rx strength aleve/naproxen for tension and tmj, psuedofed for the sinuses, and when none of those work, medicinal grade marijuana. the marijuana is the life saver. it works when the others don't. i'm in ohio and sometimes i can't get a hold of it when i need it. the night i went to the ER, i would have been fine and could have avoided going if i could have got some good pot.

/my reciprocated rant
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2016, 10:09 AM   #48095
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
jesus dude yeah! i have had nearly daily migraines and mixed headaches since i was 14 and now i'm 34. for some reason between the ages of 30ish to just a few months ago they were amazingly, thankfully better. i need to figure out what the diffrerence was because they have been back with a vengence these past 2 months.

so i have the classic migraine - sound sensitivity, light sensitivity, sometimes nausea but not usually, sometimes vomiting. - but i also have sinus pain from a deviated septum - the whole sinus cavity aches, eyes feel like they are bulging out - and then 3rd is TMJ pain - the joint that connects the jaw. it feels sharp like at the temples with migraines/tension headaches. things are connected so the pain runs down the sides of the neck and into the shoulders. COMBINE all these pains at once and welcome to my life.

HOLY SHIT. You're fucking with me. You must be. Only other option is that you and I are estranged brothers. Tell me, did you survive an abortion in 1980?

Seriously, though, I have every single one of these ailments. Deviated septum? Check. The thought is that I may have broken my nose when I was very young, before the bone had developed enough to result in the kind of pain that would have let my mom know to take me to the hospital. In any case, I have extremely blocked up sinuses, and my nose is a little misshapen (in a relatively handsome way. That is, it's very subtle.)
TMJ? Got it. For a while in high school my dentist was actually trying to tackle my migraines by sending me to specialists and prescribing my imatrex herself. I should have probably had braces... she thought that may have helped reduce the tension, but just wearing the preliminary retainer gave me a skullfucking headache, and I refused. My jaw is extremely tight, and it gives me all kinds of grief. I've broken two teeth in the past year because of clenching (in my sleep, I suspect), but the jaw pain melts into the head and sinus pain and makes for a pretty goddamn insufferable pain soup, if you will, that makes it very difficult to effectively prevent headaches, because it's often unclear where they're coming from.

I also have been in a number of serious car accidents, and have had surgeries on my right arm, but that's another story.

Quote:
i take maxalt for the migraines, Rx strength aleve/naproxen for tension and tmj, psuedofed for the sinuses, and when none of those work, medicinal grade marijuana. the marijuana is the life saver. it works when the others don't. i'm in ohio and sometimes i can't get a hold of it when i need it. the night i went to the ER, i would have been fine and could have avoided going if i could have got some good pot.

I loved Maxalt. It was the best. As I said before, I was taking Imatrex when it first hit the market, as an injection only emergency treatment, and it's always had a really draining effect on me. It's a blood vessel dilator, obviously, like Maxalt, but it's old school, and I evolved, and while it does get rid of the searing eyeball pain of migraines, it makes the rest of my body feel like one giant phantom limb, all dull aches and radiating tension. It fucking sucks, basically. And if I had better insurance I'd go back to Maxalt in a heartbeat. It helped the migraines without zombifying the rest of me.

So I make due. I don't respond well to marijuana generally speaking, so that's not an option even though it's legal with an Rx. I'm sure I could get one, and that if I did I'd be able to find some edible or pill that worked for me without spiking my anxiety (I also have pretty serious anxiety... I'm a mess), but legal or not, it would still cost me my job if it ever turned up in a UA. Not that I've ever been given one, but I work for a private news organization, and they'd do it if they felt like they'd get a result. Then they'd can me. Funnily enough, opioid-based painkillers and benzodiazepines are A-OK!

I'm a mess in the summers. Maybe this is your problem too. I currently live in a very humid part of the stupid fucking country, and I was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, so the summers here feel simply intolerable to me. Like I can feel the o-zone, pushing down on me and sucking the breath out of me. It's amplified my headaches quite a bit. Winters are much better, though they're generally worse for my other aches and pains.

I got a little better for a while too. About 2 years, during which I required no Imatrex or Maxalt, and only had about one big bad motherfucker of a migraine every 6 months or so. Now I'm back to where I was, and where I pretty much have been since I was 4 years old. Migraines are a weekly occurrence at least. I have to work late at night and over the weekend regularly to make up for missed time during the week, because there's always a day when I have to put down everything and get home before I lose the ability to drive.

I pretty much have some kind of headache all the time. I've been diagnosed with "cluster headaches" as well as "tension headaches" in addition to the migraines.

OH! And I have really fucked up eyes... like, super fucked. Normal people have put on my glasses and literally vomited (ok, just once.. just one person did that, but still... crazy and gross, right?). I have an extreme prism correction, different in both eyes, along with a moderate vision correction. I have to wear my glasses as soon as I wake up, or I'll get an entirely different kind of headache. But the glasses are so thick and heavy that they put pressure on my sinuses and that created problems too.

So I'm pretty much super brave.
Old 08.14.2016, 02:10 PM   #48096
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2016, 04:22 PM   #48097
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses

Mary Lattimore — Folkadelphia Session 03/19/2016

Available for $nameyourprice from Bandcamp, but don't be a fucker — pay at least a few damn coins for it.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2016, 09:53 PM   #48098
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka

-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2016, 10:43 AM   #48099
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin

This is pretty fucking great!
Old 08.17.2016, 08:08 AM   #48100
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses

all recent output from the magik markers axis is so vastly underrated....^^^^are such great records.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
1905230523552395240224032404 2405 240624072408241524552505 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth