Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sun City Girls are Wacked and Wonderful!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.02.2007, 08:58 AM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
weird, i just downloaded that album about 3 hours ago! viking christmas!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2007, 03:52 PM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Some thoughts on every SCG recording I've heard...

Self-Titled is all over the place, but it's got some great songs. Grotto of Miracles has a lot of weird noisey bits but it's smooshed in between bouts of brilliant musicianship. The drummer of this band (R.I.P) has such a great tone. Really crisp. And the guitar player (aka the amazing Sir Richard Bishop) really doesn't get the respect he deserves. Horse Cock Phepner is a masterpiece, it's probably their best record, it's just all over the place and epitomizes the SCG aesthetic. Amazing -- and hilarious! Torch of the Mystics is wonderful too, the recording quality isn't the best, but how can anyone deny "Blue Mamba", one of the best songs I've ever heard? Three Fake Female Orgasms is indeed a very underrated record with Mystics-era songs. Valentines from the Matahari is a bit too jammy and all over the place, not my thing really. Just boring. Juggernaut is more of that kinda stuff. Dante's Disneyland Inferno is a two disc set of spoken word tracks that's just fucking genius. Not something you'll want to listen to often, but it's great for what it is. 330,000 Crossdressers is another just brilliant work, almost seems to update the Horse Cock Phepner aesthetic.. it goes all over the place, but the first disc is their best material to date. Disc two is good if you have enough drugs. I've heard a few of the Carnival Folklore Ressurection series, it's.. nice. I dunno. A bit too much fake jazzy stuff, but it's got its moments. Wah is terrible. Fresh Kill is really good, though a bit long.

And that's all the SCG I have so far. I love 'em. I have all the Richard Bishop stuff. It's some of the best "Solo guitar only" stuff you could ever hope to hear. His live album "staged" is amazing!

Old 12.20.2007, 04:26 PM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Oh my .. this is some truly horrible shit people. what drugs are you taking that allow you to enjoy this ridiculous claptrap? I mean, I like some fucking tunless bands, but everything I hear from this sun city girls is just some asshole wanking off over asshole troglodyte noodling. horrible horrible stuff.
Old 12.20.2007, 04:27 PM   #24
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
and YES, anything they have done ANYONE can fucking do. just give mental patients instruments and hit record. horrible.
Old 12.20.2007, 04:42 PM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I assume you're talking about one of their improv records and not the ones with actual songs...

Because if ANYONE could write a song has go as "CCC", the world would be a better place!

Old 12.20.2007, 04:45 PM   #26
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

This band's one of the best I've ever heard, consistently mind blowing, though I agree that they have far too albums of just them dicking around. But even those can be compelling, if not completely listenable.

Probably one of the most inspiring and creative bands ever, besides thinking fellers union local # 282... which reminds me...

Old 12.20.2007, 04:48 PM   #27
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I assume you're talking about one of their improv records and not the ones with actual songs...

Because if ANYONE could write a song has go as "CCC", the world would be a better place!

I am talking about their improv caca.

can you post a link to an actual song? I would like to check it out.
Old 12.20.2007, 04:55 PM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Damn, someone help Rob out here.. I can't... (56k modem on this computer + no songs on this computer, etc)

They do have a myspace, last I checked, with actual songs on it..

I think their official site has MP3's..

You should be able to find at least torch of the mystics stuff pretty easily..

Even if you end up disliking them, you'll find them at least talented and interesting. Not as interesting or talented as like Secret Chiefs 3 or something but at least as aesthetically pleasing.

Old 12.20.2007, 05:01 PM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I'll check out their site. thanks
Old 01.03.2008, 09:41 AM   #30
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
i have to say that even though i'm a fan i sometimes have hard time listening to their improvisations... but then there's stuff like torch of the mystics... and they've done some amazing cover versions, like that beach boys tune 'your summer dream' that they play on 'static from the outside set'... wonderful band! i've yet to hear the new reissues...

sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 10:34 AM   #31
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
ive been watching them on youtube all the time this week, i like the records i own by them but theyre certainly not one of my favorite bands
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 10:35 AM   #32
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i think i enjoy richard bishop's solo shit a little more
Old 01.03.2008, 12:09 PM   #33
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
while my guitar violently bleeds is superb! but then, polytheistic fragments is just good; i mean i love most of it but there's a certain moments of airport jazz/flamenco that feel a little like nails scratching on a chalkboard for me.

the tape he put out last year was also superb.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 01:04 PM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

"fingering the devil". That's all I'm saying.

And sun city girls are one of my favorite bands...... by far. Brilliant. Inspiring. And... important.

Old 02.15.2008, 02:37 AM   #35
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Coming soon:

Sun City Girls
You're Never Alone with a Cigarette (Singles Volume 1)

CD Album
Catalog Number: ABD040CD
Number of Discs: 1
Genre: Experimental
Label: Abduction
Release Date: 10 March 2008

The sequencing of all 20 tracks at the time was entirely different with the predominately instrumental tracks in this collection mixed in and around the mostly vocal tracks of what became Torch. Placebo went out of business shortly after this proposed 2LP idea was presented to them but Majora Records quickly stepped in to begin releasing most of the material. Included here are five tracks from early Majora singles: "100 Pounds of Black Olives" and "The Fine-Tuned Machines of Lemuria" (the complete unreleased 12-minute version) from the single "You're Never Alone with a Cigarette" and all three tracks from Record #1 of the double 7" Three Fake Female Orgasms -- "Plaster Cupids Falling from the Ceiling," "The Beauty of Benghazi," and "Souvenirs from Jangare." The short piece "Harmful Little Armful" is from the triple 7" box set Bruce Lee, Heroin, and the Punk Scene (from a Bay Area label Massacre at Central High) and rounding out the set are three unreleased studio tracks recorded the same day as much of the Torch LP
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2008, 02:45 AM   #36
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Coming soon:

Sun City Girls
You're Never Alone with a Cigarette (Singles Volume 1)

CD Album
Catalog Number: ABD040CD
Number of Discs: 1
Genre: Experimental
Label: Abduction
Release Date: 10 March 2008

The sequencing of all 20 tracks at the time was entirely different with the predominately instrumental tracks in this collection mixed in and around the mostly vocal tracks of what became Torch. Placebo went out of business shortly after this proposed 2LP idea was presented to them but Majora Records quickly stepped in to begin releasing most of the material. Included here are five tracks from early Majora singles: "100 Pounds of Black Olives" and "The Fine-Tuned Machines of Lemuria" (the complete unreleased 12-minute version) from the single "You're Never Alone with a Cigarette" and all three tracks from Record #1 of the double 7" Three Fake Female Orgasms -- "Plaster Cupids Falling from the Ceiling," "The Beauty of Benghazi," and "Souvenirs from Jangare." The short piece "Harmful Little Armful" is from the triple 7" box set Bruce Lee, Heroin, and the Punk Scene (from a Bay Area label Massacre at Central High) and rounding out the set are three unreleased studio tracks recorded the same day as much of the Torch LP

Not only that, but this too:

Tour Starts May 2008:
Alan Bishop & Richard Bishop Present:
THE BROTHERS UNCONNECTED
A Tribute to Charles Gocher & Sun City Girls
Most dates will feature an opening 40 minute film of Charles Gocher's video experiments followed by two sets of music. AB and RB will be performing Sun City Girls songs as an acoustic guitar duet. This tour will most likely be the only time this show will be presented as such and is a tribute both to Charles Gocher and selected music from the 27 year legacy of Sun City Girls. West Coast dates begin in May. All other US and Canada dates begin in June. A full list of shows will be presented here as they are confirmed.

from sun city girlz dot comb
Old 02.15.2008, 02:45 AM   #37
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
today i bought
dulce. i heard 2 tracks so far and i know its going to be excellent. its a soundtrack that they did to some weird japanese film.
i would say that at the moment my three favorite bands are SY animal collective and the SCG (with SCG the most listened to at the moment)

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2008, 11:33 AM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I've now heard nearly everything that their official site has listed on the main discography page, not the cfr series (which isn't probably even half their discography because there are tons of small pressings, one-off tapes, etc) (and i've heard cfr 7 and 13 at least).

They're great...... I'm trying to figure out which album of theirs to do my "classics album" thing for.. horse cock phepner or 330,000 crossdressers will probably get the nod...

Mark Prindle's page has some great reviews of a lot of their albums by the way.

Old 02.15.2008, 11:37 AM   #39
batreleaser
invito al cielo

i just got jack's creek of amazon, its ok but i definitley think its one of their weaker records. richard bishop's latest tho, polytheistic fragments, amazing. ive been playing the shit out of the record, i even played it for my dad who plays accoustic blues guitar and he was blown the fuck away, and he usually never listens to anything more avant garde than the velvets, or free jazz.
Old 02.15.2008, 02:49 PM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, all of sir richard bishop's stuff is good, I recently got staged, which is a few of his songs live. He does them even better than on the record somehow.

> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth