Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.19.2019, 06:41 PM   #23341
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
man that infinity war was a shit movie

not cuz it was a downer

but structurally, it was like a bunch of little vignettes strung together with a big cheesy battle at the end

i mean if i had shoes on i’d throw one at the teevee
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2019, 06:43 PM   #23342
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
but structurally, it was like a bunch of little vignettes strung together with a big cheesy battle at the end

They didn't bother explaining who anyone was, so for about half an hour you're like "Huh? Where do I know them from?"
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2019, 06:46 PM   #23343
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
They didn't bother explaining who anyone was, so for about half an hour you're like "Huh? Where do I know them from?"
all the previous movies you had to watch since like 1942

it’s only for true acolytes, see

eta

my father in law went to civil war and when he came out he asked

“what was that about?”

lmao

INDEED
Old 01.19.2019, 08:31 PM   #23344
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
man that infinity war was a shit movie

not cuz it was a downer

i mean if i had shoes on i’d throw one at the teevee

Nah, it was good fun and the best of the Avengers movies.

Not sure what you’re on about.

Little crowded, sure, but that was half the point. I enjoyed it and was fulfilled by it as a viewer.

Honestly, could have actually been bad and you’re mad at how it turned out. Think of Justice League. Could have been that. Wasn’t. Was good and entertaining and fun and funny and kinda dark and weird at times and epic as hell.

You’re, like, the one person I’ve met who’s like, “Nope that was shit.”

weirdo
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2019, 08:33 PM   #23345
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
all the previous movies you had to watch since like 1942

it’s only for true acolytes, see

eta

my father in law went to civil war and when he came out he asked

“what was that about?”

lmao

INDEED

You didn’t have these beefs about Last Jedi and yet everything you’re saying is applicable to that as well.

Only you had to watch films since the actual ‘70s to know what’s up. Like two and a half good ones and the rest are shit. So...

Thumbs down on your opinion
Old 01.19.2019, 09:37 PM   #23346
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Nah, it was good fun and the best of the Avengers movies.

Not sure what you’re on about.

Little crowded, sure, but that was half the point. I enjoyed it and was fulfilled by it as a viewer.

Honestly, could have actually been bad and you’re mad at how it turned out. Think of Justice League. Could have been that. Wasn’t. Was good and entertaining and fun and funny and kinda dark and weird at times and epic as hell.

You’re, like, the one person I’ve met who’s like, “Nope that was shit.”

weirdo

Quote:
You didn’t have these beefs about Last Jedi and yet everything you’re saying is applicable to that as well.

Only you had to watch films since the actual ‘70s to know what’s up. Like two and a half good ones and the rest are shit. So...

Thumbs down on your opinion

lmao

that was shit. by that i mean your opinion and your supporting arguments

but the movie too

(and you havent met anyone since the 70s)

last jedi zzzzzzzzz
Old 01.19.2019, 10:15 PM   #23347
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

but seriously, who could keep track of everyone in infinity war

it was like a compressed tv show where each gathering “hero” needs their own episode and you need so many movies to know whats up

phase one
phase two
phase three
on & on
19 times

looks theres the winter soldier who came out of the tub
look at that plastic bird flying
hey there’s hologram john hurt who was he?
ther’a kublai khan spinning balls in the air
here’s 30 seconds of capital one man
here’s gwyneth making faces
here’s scarlett in a catsuit making faces
here’s everyone from black panther in a big cgi shot
hereks a little joke and some grandiose moment
here’s another
here’s another
here’s another
here’s another

there were some funny lines with the rabbit, which eventually get tired, and a few others, but again otherwise soooooooo fuckiiiiiiing ponderous

also the mega action looks good but zzzzzzzzz so tired of mega actions. now in simulcast. mega action everywhere!

thanos: one ring to rule them all

zzzz

ok disney

endgame: please end it
Old 01.19.2019, 10:57 PM   #23348
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't seen Infinity War but I can guarantee you it isnt my cup of tea. I checked out of superhero movies when everyone told me that dreadful ass afterschool special Spiderman Homecoming was a good movie... oh, FUCK OFF. I say this as a rather passionate Spidey fan as well. You guys should see my basement: so much Spidey merch and comics. Raimi and the animators behind Spiderverse did the franchise right imho. I like adult spiderman putting his dick in things.

Only MCU movies I even fuck with are GotG and Winter Soldier. Xmen movies are dope too but not MCU. SYMBOLS WATCH THE DAREDEVIL SERIES ON NETFLIX soo good, best thing short of my dream Refn directed Moon Knight film

Symbols and I agree on quite a bit movie wise I think. These new blockbusters just feel so hollow and lifeless. Carbon copy cartoons. Lacking in tangibility, everything is too polished, and overly focus tested. Remember the Terminators? A New Hope? Lawrence of Arabia? Hell, even LotR! Movies felt epic af, and you actually cared about what was going on screen. Get off my fucking lawn.

Good movies make one feel high stakes over minimal events, but these movies leave me feeling nothing over scenarios where the stakes are supposedly insanely high.

I'm watching Solo rn. Using gf's Nettlix acct so I'm streaming off my phone via Chromecast to my frontroom tv. Testing out my vtg 70s Sony receiver and these equally vintage Olson S879 3 way speakers I have (surprising low end for a no name brand tbh) About halfway through so far. Gf fell asleep (shes a Synedoche NY Miyazaki kinda gal) so I have the film paused and I'm just sitting on my phone. I like it for what it is: a lighthearted romp. I'm getting vibes of those ol Young Indiana Jones spinoffs I had on vhs growing up... it's like Star Wars but they're kids!

So far, Solo suffers from the same fate of modern blockbusters where there's too much action, you dont really get to sit and breathe w the characters enough. They should have played into the obvious western film influences more a la Logan. Also i want puppets, CGI just never really gets much of a reaction out of me. Still, fun stuff so far and the inspiration from Guardians of the Galaxy is obvious. Nothing wrong with that. I like this movie for a lot of the reasons I disliked Spiderman Homecoming... weird. Idk I'm rambling.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2019, 11:08 PM   #23349
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
but seriously, who could keep track of everyone in infinity war

it was like a compressed tv show where each gathering “hero” needs their own episode and you need so many movies to know whats up

phase one
phase two
phase three
on & on
19 times

looks theres the winter soldier who came out of the tub
look at that plastic bird flying
hey there’s hologram john hurt who was he?
ther’a kublai khan spinning balls in the air
here’s 30 seconds of capital one man
here’s gwyneth making faces
here’s scarlett in a catsuit making faces
here’s everyone from black panther in a big cgi shot
hereks a little joke and some grandiose moment
here’s another
here’s another
here’s another
here’s another

there were some funny lines with the rabbit, which eventually get tired, and a few others, but again otherwise soooooooo fuckiiiiiiing ponderous

also the mega action looks good but zzzzzzzzz so tired of mega actions. now in simulcast. mega action everywhere!

thanos: one ring to rule them all

zzzz

ok disney

endgame: please end it

Yeah, like a really fun tv show that’s exciting and has awesome effects and a bunch of great fight scenes and is well made and enjoyable and 2.5 hours instead of 10-15 and on a big screen.

Exactly like that kind of tv show.
Old 01.19.2019, 11:13 PM   #23350
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
You need juxtaposition to make shit work. That's the secret of all art. It's why sonic youth is so damn good.

These mcu movies dont have it. It's like in horror movies how you gotta pull back to make things scary. cant have constant tension or show the monster I every scene

Listen to me, I'm a doctor dammit
Old 01.19.2019, 11:16 PM   #23351
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
lmao

that was shit. by that i mean your opinion and your supporting arguments

but the movie too

(and you havent met anyone since the 70s)

last jedi zzzzzzzzz

My point is... wait I thought you liked Last Jedi?

My point is, any franchise film expects you to have seen previous franchise films, except for the first film in a franchise.

This one just happens to be large, with many movies.

And honestly, I barely remember anything about the Iron Man movies, the first two Thor movies, the Ant-Mans, Doctor Strange, or even the specifics of guardians.

And yet I found the movie fun and satisfying. It wasn’t that complicated.

How it’s not the best Avengers movie ... well, it is, so there’s no point talking about how or why it wouldn’t be.

For people who don’t like Marvel movies, it’s probably not gonna be fun.
For people who do, it’s as much fun as you can expect a team-up cross-franchise story to be.

Also lmao that was shit
That was about your argument about why it’s bad, because you didn’t even really give one. “It’s like vignettes” or “its like tv” aren’t even cons, so... whatever.

Remember how mad you got when I said Amadeus was shit?
Well, Amadeus is a much better film than Infinity War, so this is not the same thing at all, but Infinity War isn’t shit. How could it have been better and still done what it set out to do (bring all Marvel films together)?
Also I’m not mad, so it’s not the same as the Amadeus thing. I’m just saddened by your stubbornness and refusal to feel and recognize dumb, fun joy
Old 01.19.2019, 11:18 PM   #23352
Severian
invito al cielo

Top MCU films:

1. Winter Soldier
2. Ragnarok
3. Either Guardians or Infinity War

Fun times.

Avoid all films at the cinema these days if you don’t like franchises, though.
Old 01.19.2019, 11:19 PM   #23353
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Stan Lee once infamously said you need to treat every comic book as if it were a readers first. Seems like Infinity War forgot that.

Lol hi severian. Pay attention to meeee

I need to see Ragnarok but goddamn Thor 1 was bad. Is Ant Man funny?

Get off my fucking lawn, I'm watching Fellini in Flint goddaammmiiittt
Old 01.19.2019, 11:22 PM   #23354
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
You need juxtaposition to make shit work. That's the secret of all art. It's why sonic youth is so damn good.

These mcu movies dont have it. It's like in horror movies how you gotta pull back to make things scary. cant have constant tension or show the monster I every scene

Listen to me, I'm a doctor dammit

I dunno man. I prefer Marvel movies to marvel comics and I’m a comic book fan who won’t shut up about Dark Knight. Marvel has done an extremely good job (lately) of making these movies stand out and work together.

Biggest goddamn franchise thing ever. I was prepared to be let down, but I was not.

None of it is Dark Knight, mind you, but it’s fun as hell.
Old 01.19.2019, 11:32 PM   #23355
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah, like a really fun tv show that’s exciting and has awesome effects and a bunch of great fight scenes and is well made and enjoyable and 2.5 hours instead of 10-15 and on a big screen.

Exactly like that kind of tv show.
no. i mean the kind of multiencounter situation that was covered was so thin and cursory due to the large number of said encounters, it lacked any kind of dramatic depth or significance. zero emotion.

it was like a treatment for a tv season arc with episode outlines. “and then this happens and then this happens and then this happens”.

so maybe a way to make the audience care would be to make each little snippet into something meaningful.

like, you know, brother mouzone and omar and stringer bell

and yeah if you scroll back this is what i though of last jedi

and i said it was very repetitive and we talked about that?
Old 01.19.2019, 11:35 PM   #23356
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Last jedi was fucking brilliant.
Old 01.19.2019, 11:36 PM   #23357
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:
I dunno man. I prefer Marvel movies to marvel comics and I’m a comic book fan who won’t shut up about Dark Knight. Marvel has done an extremely good job (lately) of making these movies stand out and work together.

Biggest goddamn franchise thing ever. I was prepared to be let down, but I was not.

None of it is Dark Knight, mind you, but it’s fun as hell.

What if I told you Batman Begins was a more interesting watch than TDK? Or that Interstellar and Insomnia are Nolan's best works?

There's something so gross about the mcu movies. I think @$$@$@@ hit the nail on the head. Too much bang not enough buck. These stories work better in serialized formats like comics or tv shows i think. You a big DC guy? I barely know DC

Y'all crazy for not living TLJ though. Such a bizarre film, it a like Lynch's Dune
Old 01.19.2019, 11:37 PM   #23358
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ragnarok i enjoyed a lot because in spite of some ponderous story that carries the “marvel universe” forward, it was one joke after another after another

the movie did not take itself soooooooo fucking seriously. so whether you give a shit about “the marvel universe” or not, you can enjoy this as a comedy.

any of you guys watched “what we do in the shadows”?
Old 01.19.2019, 11:38 PM   #23359
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
What if I told you Batman Begins was a more interesting watch than TDK? Or that Interstellar and Insomnia are Nolan's best works?
MEMENTO
Old 01.19.2019, 11:40 PM   #23360
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Robin Williams and I respectfully disagree
668106811181158116511661167 1168 116911701171117812181268 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth