Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page So I get to meet Ian MacKaye tonight
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.14.2007, 07:16 PM   #21
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I would ask him to sign my Repeater vinyl.

Personally, I see his ethics admirable and I would respect them.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2007, 07:28 PM   #22
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Here's a bore.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2007, 07:47 PM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Personally, I see his ethics admirable and I would respect them.

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2007, 07:57 PM   #24
mikec
bad moon rising

mikec has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
When I go see a show, I'm there to see the bands, not for the "atmosphere." If you're complaining about the lack of music being played between sets, then stick to the arena rock shows. As for the bands requests for no smoking/drinking, I can respect that. It's happened at shows I've been to because some band members are allergic to smoke. If you can't give them that much, then I don't know what else to tell you other than if you're there for the music, it shouldn't matter.
mikec is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2007, 08:02 PM   #25
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I don't consider drinking, smoking, and getting high a lifestyle that I need to defend. Nor do I consider the abstinence from them a lifestyle. I'll drink when I want to and not when I don't.

Now I don't have anything against MacKaye that would make me want to do any of these before him out of spite. Again, it isn't a lifestyle that I identify with. So I'll respect his wishes and not act like a childish twat. Part of the experience of seeing MacKaye live, I would say.

EDIT: @ !@#$%!
Old 06.14.2007, 08:47 PM   #26
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I don't consider drinking, smoking, and getting high a lifestyle that I need to defend. Nor do I consider the abstinence from them a lifestyle. I'll drink when I want to and not when I don't.

Now I don't have anything against MacKaye that would make me want to do any of these before him out of spite. Again, it isn't a lifestyle that I identify with. So I'll respect his riches and not act like a childish twat. Part of the experience of seeing MacKaye live, I would say.

EDIT: @ !@#$%!

no no, neither do i--- but-- as a budding music journalist, you might be interested in michael little's article "in on the killjoy" which apeared october 17 2003 on the washington city paper-- it was the cover article and featured a picture of fugazi members dressed as puritans-- hilarious. great article. i actually met the guy & congratulated him on it after someone told him to "eat a bag of dicks" for the article.

but anyway, the thing is hard to find on the internet & mysteriously absent from city paper archives. however-- i am so fond of it i saved it somewhere in my computer. wanna read it?

--
well answer. i gotta go soon.
Old 06.14.2007, 09:14 PM   #27
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
just get him to talk to you about when he got into punk and when he was doing minor threat, that's what i would do. if i'd ever meet him i would not let him talk about anything else and would make him talk for hours.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2007, 09:28 PM   #28
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
It baffles me as to why people complain about his stance on alcohol and smoking at shows? It's his decision, is you don't like it then don't go. It's the same decision that someone who dislikes drinking and smoking has to make when going to a show where the members are getting shit-faced and toking their arses off. No need for complaints people. By also having an alcohol ban you make it an all ages show and it's nice that people of all ages can experience music not just the drunks.
As for the 'no music between sets' thing, I saw the Evens a few months ago and I was glad they didn't have any other bands to support them. I was there to see the Evens not some local band I can see the next night.

People will complain about anything on this board, I tells ya.
Old 06.14.2007, 09:28 PM   #29
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
wanna read it?

--
well answer. i gotta go soon.
YES!
Old 06.14.2007, 09:35 PM   #30
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
As for the 'no music between sets' thing, I saw the Evens a few months ago and I was glad they didn't have any other bands to support them. I was there to see the Evens not some local band I can see the next night.
That's kind of weird... a bigger band without openers... I would be bothered by that. One, no support for the local scene??? Two, it would be just getting started, and then it's over. No build-up/anticipation.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2007, 10:31 PM   #31
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
That's exactly what it was Norma J! It was pleasurous seeing a band that actually had the time to talk in between songs and even go over their origins a little bit because they didn't have another band playing after. He didn't seem like an asshole at all Bicorn, he was very friendly, and I think that he just wants to stick to his values wih alcohol and drugs. He established a stronger social connection between them and the crowd than any other artist I've seen. It was a 'friendly' atmosphere instead of a crowd of strangers watching people you don't know play music you like.

Steve - You just missed them in HAMELTON actually, but I don't know how close that is to you.
Old 06.14.2007, 11:36 PM   #32
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
ian is interestingly paradoxical. he doesn't seem bad, just maybe a bit too.. idealistic.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2007, 12:08 AM   #33
Bicorn Halfelven
children of satan

Bicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
That's exactly what it was Norma J! It was pleasurous seeing a band that actually had the time to talk in between songs and even go over their origins a little bit because they didn't have another band playing after. He didn't seem like an asshole at all Bicorn, he was very friendly, and I think that he just wants to stick to his values wih alcohol and drugs. He established a stronger social connection between them and the crowd than any other artist I've seen. It was a 'friendly' atmosphere instead of a crowd of strangers watching people you don't know play music you like.

Steve - You just missed them in HAMELTON actually, but I don't know how close that is to you.

Ok, let's say you have a band. You/your band stands for a movement that is against drinking alcohol, and smoking cigarettes, etc. Why book shows in places that make their money serving alchohol? And then demand that they stop doing just that? What the fuck is that? Play a goddamned VFW hall, play a community center or somebody's basement... I hate preachy straight edgers almost as much as I hate preachy christians.
Bicorn Halfelven is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2007, 12:29 AM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
duh it's cuz he got the edge.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2007, 12:53 AM   #35
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
The Evens are playing at like, a 30-person venue tonight and I managed to get a ticket. Ha, it's going to be sweet, let me know if there's anything that NEEDS to be asked to him. I'll report back tonight after the show

I was in a similar situation. I shook his hand and said "good show." He said "thanks."
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2007, 10:06 AM   #36
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
YES!

oh, i didn't see this in time yesterday. i'll look it up today.
Old 06.15.2007, 10:27 AM   #37
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn Halfelven
Ok, let's say you have a band. You/your band stands for a movement that is against drinking alcohol, and smoking cigarettes, etc. Why book shows in places that make their money serving alchohol? And then demand that they stop doing just that? What the fuck is that? Play a goddamned VFW hall, play a community center or somebody's basement... I hate preachy straight edgers almost as much as I hate preachy christians.

Well actually they made their best efforts to get a venue that didn't serve drinks/alcohol, and so they ended up with playing in a small art gallary called Club SAW. I would imagine they do this wherever they go, and only go to venues that even consider licencing when there's no alternative
Old 06.15.2007, 11:34 AM   #38
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn Halfelven
Last time I saw Fugazi, the stopped playing and asked that alcohol service be shut off for the show, as well as for people to stop smoking, or else they wouldn't continue the show.

So you can ask him why he's such an asshole.
Straight edge people are annoying.
Old 06.15.2007, 11:37 AM   #39
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Ian MacKaye's a fucking cock-end. If I was in his presence, I would actually start smoking again, simply to ruin his day.
Old 06.15.2007, 11:41 AM   #40
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I really love Fugazi, but it would be too hard to resist telling him to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
"eat a bag of dicks"

classic.

I hope to at least be able to try that out on a non-Fugazi soon.

[repertoire +1]
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth