Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty American Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.12.2013, 03:05 PM   #141
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor

Keep in mind this domination was done without Antonio Smith nor Ed Reed suiting up.

Good luck with that. Personally, I don't think Ed will suit up for at least 6 games if not missing the entire season. In Ozzie we trust!!! I don't want Ed to be hurt, he is one of my all-time favorite players, but it is what it is, and Ed wasn't himself last year, and his injuries have caught up with him this year.

Of course we still could have used even a limping Ed Reed on the field, Peyton obliterated our secondary, Huff and Williams looked like they had never played safety in their lives, even though Denver was running most simply passing routes. Ed would have been choreographing Huff like a defensive coach, that and Peyton like last season in the play-offs would have been scared to throw that deep just on his history with Ed alone.

Peyton didn't complete more than a handful of deep passes in that play-off game, he didn'd even attempt more than a handful. Ed wasn't himself last year, in fact, when QBs did test him, he got blown by FIFTEEN TIMES, including for a score. However, Peyton (and Tom Brady too) must not have gotten the memo, because they didn't challenge Ed. Had they thrown deep, Broncos might have exploited that weakness and won the game. However, Ed is as much as coach as a player, his intuition about football is almost prophetic, so when he directed Pollard and Ihedigbo even when too injured to make an impact by tackling himself. In that regard, we miss Ed. Our coordinators got to get in Huff and Williams ear, and I actually at this point miss Pollard more since Ed is hurt and wouldn't be playing even if still in Baltimore. He was our certified Patriot killer, he was a hard but clean hitting muthafucka in the secondary, simply put, it Pollard was on the field last thursday, instead of blowing by Huff for two deep touchdowns, fucking Bronco's Thomas would have been knocked out of the game scoreless

FUCKING SHIT!!! I had to watch the this THREE FUCKING TIMES just to even see who had the ball!!!!! This is the McCoy-Vick combo that I had a bromance with a few years ago. The 2010-2011 Eagles are back. McCoy was the key to that 11-5 year when he was the best RB in the league, and embarrassingly faster than any defender on him. Well.. if the Eagles O-Line can stay even remotely healthy to block for him, he is looking to dominate the league. If Philly is smart enough to avoid all that Dream Team hubris, they just may win a lot of games this year. Two mediocre, out of the play-offs seasons seem to have had a positive effect motivating players to take their careers serious. Also, looking at several of Chip Kelley's more unorthodox line formations, it seems like he is implementing basketball principles of "spacing".

In basketball, spreading the floor with shooters is the key to opening up lanes to drive for easy lay-ups and dunks. The Heat pimp this to 1990s Bulls perfection. People honestly believe they are a 3-point team, even though without a true center the Heat lead the league in dunks, drives, AND points in the paint. Wade and Lebron have never gotten to the rim as much in their careers! How? They line up the floor with known 3-point shooters, who lure defenders out of the pain, opening up lanes for Wade and Lebron and even anybody else like the Bosh or the Birdman or even SuperMario Chalmers to go in on a drive and dunk. Its called spacing or spreading the floor. In NFL, spreading the field usually means sending out receivers on deep routes to distract defenders, but it looks like Kelley is doing something different entirely. Not only are his receivers running decoy routes, but he has lined up his offensive line and formation in a way that doesn't block, but instead opens up lanes for rushing. As long as the few blocking assignments do their job, it works, and it opens the rushing lanes by not clogging them with offensive blockers. It is a genius gamble which people haven't used since the 1950s in football back when it was essentially a run only game. Every defender in the NFL knows Vick can throw 75 yards in the wind in less than 2 seconds, so ain't nobody going to leave a wide-out on the left or right or both wide open to catch a bomber like Torrey Smith in Denver last season. So they cover the receivers, and the backs and tight-ends had wide open lanes to rush like crazy. Its a college strategy, but it worked against a good defense. Now obviously folks will watch the tape, readjust, but essentially, it is an entirely new strategy to NFL football which we haven't even seen the fullest of yet, so I imagine a few more insane games were Vick and McCoy again combine for over 200 yards rushing. ESPECIALLY IF THEY PLAY MY RAVENS, who have had a penchant for letting TE run right through us on short passes and rushes

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2013, 07:24 AM   #142
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Do you have a special chair for watching sports? I dunno why, I just keep picturing you sat in one.

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2013, 08:04 PM   #143
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Andre Johnson's last eight games played: 78 catches / 1147 yards

By comparison, this was Steve Smith's entire 2012 season: 73/1174

Dre ready to lay beat down on Tennessee:

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2013, 09:40 PM   #144
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Dre ready to lay beat down on Tennessee:

Did you fucking SEE Titans defense during the pre-season and their first game? Its like, essentially their entire defense have turned into hard hitting muthafuckas like Bernard Pollard!! I miss him already. I think (a) Titans are going to sneak into the playoffs as a Wild Card and (b) they are going to hold Texans to a loss. Chargers almost pulled it up, but their D collapsed, and Titans D will not be as easy an assignment.

17-14 Titans
27-13 Ravens against the Browns
28-23 Falcons over the Rams

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Do you have a special chair for watching sports? I dunno why, I just keep picturing you sat in one.

Haha.. no. In my bedroom I do sit in a bad ass office chair, and it has been accused of being throne-like. I also have often been said I should be a sports writer/analyst, I ramble on too much. I like sport, but really for the conversations. I follow too many teams, in fact, too many sports, simply to be able to keep up with what anybody is interested in conversation. The funny thing is, aside from my teams, I really don't like sports! A lot of people watch other teams in their sport, like a lot of NFL fans were obsessed with the Niners-Packers game last week, since those are two of the best teams in the NFL. Me? I don't like either, so I could have cared less!! However, even though I didn't watch the game, I found myself reading the recap and box score so I could chat with people about it.

Old 09.15.2013, 06:58 PM   #145
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Did you fucking SEE Titans defense during the pre-season and their first game? Its like, essentially their entire defense have turned into hard hitting muthafuckas like Bernard Pollard!! I miss him already. I think (a) Titans are going to sneak into the playoffs as a Wild Card and (b) they are going to hold Texans to a loss. Chargers almost pulled it up, but their D collapsed, and Titans D will not be as easy an assignment.

17-14 Titans
27-13 Ravens against the Browns
28-23 Falcons over the Rams

YES - the Titans defense is very good. The Texans and Titans usually have knock down drag outs and so it was again today.

It wasn't pretty and some of it was down right ugly......but 2 & 0 isn't a bad place to be

The Houston Texans are the first team since the merger in 1970 to win their first two games on the last play of the game.

DeAndre Hopkins (on my fantasy team) is the first rookie WR to catch a TD pass in overtime since Santonio Holmes in 2006.
Old 09.16.2013, 08:34 AM   #146
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Bernard Pollard used to hit folks for the Texans as well. Always liked him. Go Texans!
Old 09.16.2013, 01:12 PM   #147
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:

The Houston Texans are the first team since the merger in 1970 to win their first two games on the last play of the game.

The Falcons have similar kinds of stats, Matt Ryan has over 22 career fourth quarter winning drives since 2008 BUT this is a double-edged sword, it means the team has poise, confidence, and execution enough to pull off so many improbable wins and YET, this also means the defense was doing bad to be behind so many games. As to Texans, they like Falcons have had a lot of come from behind wins, BUT that means they have as many problems as they have solutions. Its better to just be up than to get up. Buzzer beaters are great for basketball, because there are 82 games to average out any epically close loses, in the NFL? Not so much flexibility. The Bengals would have been the NFC North division leaders (tied-10-6) if one of their wins had been an AFC instead of NFC opponent (Ravens took the tie-breaker based on Conference play), and the year before that the Broncos went to the playoffs in a three-way tie in the AFC West for 8-8 division leader. Had Raiders one a single game in their damned Division, they would have ended their endless play-off drought. One game makes or breaks a season in the NFL. In that regard, its great for the Texans to get the win and lead 2-0, but that they've twice this season been in a position to lose to inferior teams suggests there could be underlying problems to resolve sooner than later.

Ravens? We know our problems. We ain't got any healthy receivers who can actually CATCH the ball. Flacco has had receivers drop THREE TD passes in the end-zone now. THREE!! That doesn't include all the other dropped passes that just killed great drives. Got to catch the ball fuckers. Now folks might be saying, "Boldin Boldin Boldin Boldin.." Yeah, how did that work out for San Francisco last night

By the way, Mike Nolan has totally converted Atlanta's defense from "let's just try and hang in there guys" to "lets fuck these dudez up" and its working. Now? Just keep up it up for 4 quarters and Falcons will win the Super Bowl, period.

Old 09.17.2013, 01:05 PM   #148
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

ESPN rides sooooo much dick. So Kaep blows it big on the big stage and throws 3 picks like the rookie that everybody forgot he is, and they still sit third? Really?? Honestly the Texans deserve. Eagles drop FIVE slots over a loss where they almost came back to win? Kaep drops two for shitting his pants on national televsion. MEH. Fucking lame ass don't know their football fucks and ESPN should be embarrassed about themselves, its more like TMZ than a sports network. Why do I keep reading them? Right. They're trolls. Its what trolls do. They steal your attention until it dies.

Old 09.17.2013, 01:08 PM   #149
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
ESPN is a sack of shit disguised as sports information.
Old 09.17.2013, 01:16 PM   #150
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
ESPN is a sack of shit disguised as sports information.

Yes, but they love the Heat, I love the Heat, alas, they troll me in every damned time! But as to NFL, they truly don't ever have any idea what the fuck they are writing about. Like, EVER! I mean look at Sando's explanation as to why Eagles dropped 5 in a close loss 33-30 at the final seconds..

Quote:
There's the track meet everyone expected. Philly averaged 20.4 seconds per play, more than five seconds faster than last week, and gained 8.8 yards per play Sunday.

So you're saying the Eagles played better, yet you drop them significantly as bad as you did the Redskins? Redskins looked like literal shit on the field, they drop five, cool, but the Eagles looked better and they also drop five? Why? So the ESPN popularity contest could fit in? Meh!! Yet I still read it. I'm the bastard then. I can only blame myself..

By the way, that Eagles game was epic, they put up over 500 yards and scored 4 TDs in 19 minutes of total possession!! NINETEEN MINUTES

Old 09.17.2013, 01:31 PM   #151
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

My beloved Texans play at Baltimore, then host the Seahawks then at the 49'ers. Goddamn these next three weekends are going to really show what our team is made of.

If we can get 2 out of 3 I will be very very happy and hopeful for a deep playoff run.
Old 09.17.2013, 01:36 PM   #152
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
My beloved Texans play at Baltimore, then host the Seahawks then at the 49'ers. Goddamn these next three weekends are going to really show what our team is made of.

If we can get 2 out of 3 I will be very very happy and hopeful for a deep playoff run.

Yes, we're looking forward to it, like you, we need to test ourselves and see if our revamped defense can step up to the challenge. Hoping by then some of our new receivers can learn to catch and hold the ball. Too many drops, Flacco is 5-20 on 20yard passes, but its all drops, and not because of bad throws either. Just bad catching. Guys got to step up. We won the Superbowl last season because guys stepped up due to injuries, this season can't be any different. Texans will challenge us significantly.

Old 09.18.2013, 10:00 PM   #153
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
"It's hard, especially with the rule changes and especially with the kind of athletic receivers coming out (of college)," Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor, an 11-year veteran, said. "You've got a lot more basketball-type bodied receivers who can run, who can jump. They don't have to run precise routes. You can just throw it in an area and understand they're going to come down with it. That's what makes it harder."

I agree. I don't often agree with the Steelers, but its not just the rules changes and the heavier handed PI calls, but its the kind of windouts that are coming into the league. Strong, FAST, tall, high jumping receivers are more common than rare, really every team has to have one if not three! We let Boldin go not necessarily just because he was a bit slow (he just wanted too much $$$) but because Ozzie Newsome is quite confident that the crops of new receivers coming in the league are faster versions. However, defense will catch up, there will always be new Ed Reeds in the secondary who shut down the deep threat. For now, let the Matt Staffords and Drew Breeses keep throwing 5,000 yard seasons, defenses will catch up inevitably.

Old 09.19.2013, 08:14 AM   #154
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

The Wiz is awesome. Great article about him in MMQB http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/12/ozzie-...timore-ravens/
Old 09.19.2013, 12:31 PM   #155
Bytor Peltor
Banned

I'm still on vacation mode and haven't read much this week, but here are a few interesting things:

A) only two NFL teams have scored more TD's this season than the Houston Texans. Those teams are QB'd by Peyton Manning and Aaron Rogers.

B) after two weeks, Ben Tate leads the league with 8.2 yards per carry.

C) dating back to 1990, 90% of NFL teams that start the season 0-2 miss the playoffs: Pittsburgh, NY Giants, Washington
Old 09.19.2013, 12:52 PM   #156
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm still on vacation mode and haven't read much this week, but here are a few interesting things:

A) only two NFL teams have scored more TD's this season than the Houston Texans. Those teams are QB'd by Peyton Manning and Aaron Rogers.

B) after two weeks, Ben Tate leads the league with 8.2 yards per carry.

C) dating back to 1990, 90% of NFL teams that start the season 0-2 miss the playoffs: Pittsburgh, NY Giants, Washington

There is an asterisk, Houston had to set a franchise record in that come from behind win last week, and win at the final seconds for the first game. In other words, y'all scored those TDs because you needed them, desperately in fact. So be wary, just like Ravens need to up our game on catching the football. If Ravens hadn't dropped literally FIVE TD passes (that would be 8 instead of 3) Flacco would be up there with Peyton (9) , Rodgers (7), Rivers (7) (!!! wtf??) and Schaub (6) with the most TDs..

Quote:
"Game day is not the time to go and beat somebody’s confidence up," Flacco said. "The thing our guys need is confidence. If anything, they need me to sit down with them and say, ‘Man, you’ve got a ton of ability. Just go out there and let it go.’ Sunday is the time to go out there and let all of your ability take over [and] not think about a single thing because all of the preparation we’ve done during the week has taken care of that. That’s the biggest thing these guys need to know is just go and let your ability take over."
That's why we love Joe Flacco, he ain't getting all frazzled and emotional like Mr. GQ ..err Tom Brady

Vick should get more credit, he's thrown for 4 AND ran in for 2 (its only been two fucking games, hot damn Chip Kelley is working his magic on Vick)

PSS.. I hate to say it, but for the third year in a row, Giants will fight Cowboys for the play-off berth, and may just get it again as a 9-7 (shit, the division might even go as bad as the NFC West three years ago and be a 7-9 team)

Quote:
The Wiz is awesome. Great article about him in MMQB http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/12/ozzie-...timore-ravens/

Article was OK, there is so much more depth when looking at Ozzie Newsome. They guy is a fucking FOOTBALL psychic, no fuck it, he got the connection to the football Holy Ghost as if he were the Metropolitan Archbishop of the AFC. Seriously, name even ONE guy that Ozzie cut that went on to be improve, do better, or even match their performance with the Ravens. Name more than a handful of guys we've drafted or traded for that went entirely bunk or had to go? Even with Ed Reed, we ALL though it was a gasp bad mistake, and yet all the more a prophet, Ozzie scouted better than the rest of us, look at Ed going down with multiple injuries, and may not suit up for several games if any this season, AND he wanted several million dollars? That is why we let Boldin go, we LOVED Boldin, but he wanted too much money, and Ozzie knows there are plenty of faster WRs out there in the near future who will take much less money.

I think Ozzie is the best scout in NFL history, the guy almost can never go wrong, his first draft picks ever are in the Hall of Fame already and on their way, his first team ever went on shortly to win the Superbowl with possibly the best defense EVER, and the guy has won as many play-off games as anybody else in the league. Now with Harbaugh and Flacco, both are the first QB/coach to win a play-off game consecutively for their first five seasons, in fact Ravens are the ONLY team over the past six years to win a play-off game every year (not the Patriots, not the Steelers, not the Colts/Broncos, not the Giants, not the Saints, not the Packers, that is right, Joe Flacco's Ravens haterz )..

We say, "In Ozzie we trust" because this guy will go down like Al Davis as one of the most intuitive minds in the history of the NFL.

Old 09.20.2013, 11:49 AM   #157
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Texans vs. Ravens
Old 09.20.2013, 01:18 PM   #158
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Vick should get more credit, he's thrown for 4 AND ran in for 2 (its only been two fucking games, hot damn Chip Kelley is working his magic on Vick)

Ouch. TWO interceptions in the first half and a fumble? Vick why?? Interestingly enough, considering the Eagles essentially shut out Colts to field goals (interception TD returns aside) it wasn't as bad a loss for Phillie as it seems, but considering how despicably ugly and repulsive the sports fans in Phillie are, I imagine they don't quite feel the same way

Old 09.20.2013, 01:29 PM   #159
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:

What I liked about that article is it really demonstrates how big time Ravens have become (and also with the massive coverage of this game how big the Texans are becoming ). I mean, Baltimore fans really don't see our games with Texans as a rivalry, even though we've eliminated y'all from the play-offs and had a lot of recent games (sorry, sending the Cinderellas home each year is sort of Baltimore's thing, last year we sent the Colts packing, four years ago it was the Dolphins), so y'all probably most DEFINITELY see it as a rivalry, and I'd imagine have a bit of a chip on the shoulder aching to beat us. Ravens? Our beef has always been with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, those are the devils that always have sent us packing until finally last season when we sent both of them. Of course, in 2009 Ravens first got the national spotlight when we annihilated Patriots 33-16 and sent them home unexpectedly when they were favored to win the Superbowl that year. Manning has sent us home TWICE already in his career, and it stung every fucking time!

Quote:
Baltimore has its problems like any other city; mock it at your own risk lest you seem like a hypocrite. Of course, on gameday the city does change because it gets filled with purple camo-clad fans from Essex who had Ravens silverware in their wedding registries. The fanbase leads the league in purchases of tacky crap.

HAHAHA.. It soooooo fucking true, massive irrational merchandising yo!

So I'm glad we can be Texans rival, and maybe this is the year y'all beat us and remind us that it is in fact a legitimate rivarly.

Old 09.20.2013, 01:53 PM   #160
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

A true rivalry cannot happen unless the teams have a fairly equal win/loss record. The Texans have beaten the Ravens like, once? shit.

I miss the old days of the AFC where Houston was somehow stuck in a division with Cincinnatti, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh, because there were great rivalries, especially the Oilers/Bengals rivalry. Jerry Glanville hated Sam Wyche, and vice versa. I do not miss how that basically screwed the Oilers into playing playoffs in horrible winter weather however.
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth